Universal Pine Tar Poker (by BJ Malicoat)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 20, 2022.

1. BJ Malicoat

BJ Malicoat Active Member

Aug 10, 2022
    Male
    It will copy the suit from the first card to the second. Useful for flushes...

2. wishlish

wishlish Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Ok, so…

next card was The devil is surrounded by two kings with the mark of the beast.

i tried the two kings with the sword through the head, and a full house of kings and three sixes. Neither worked. Any other ideas?

3. BJ Malicoat

Aug 10, 2022
    Male
    Without giving it away too much... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_beast

4. wishlish

wishlish Member

Jan 1, 2012
    #24 wishlish, Dec 25, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    So…

wouldn’t that mean a hand of KK666? Because I tried that. Does anything else have to be special? The dard color or suit?

Thanks, BTW. This game is addictive.

edit- figured it out. My idea was right, just wrong table.

5. BJ Malicoat

Aug 10, 2022
    Male
    Nice! It should work on either table, but the key is
    "surrounded by two kings"

Thanks for teaching me how to use Spoiler tags ;)

Glad you are enjoying the game! Leaving a review in the App Store or telling a friend really helps

6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I’ll put this here in case anyone missed it:

TouchArcade Game of the Week: ‘Pine Tar Poker’

Congrats, @BJ Malicoat! I thoroughly enjoyed the beta. Is there more to the official release compared to the current beta test version? I’m still planning on purchasing the full release version regardless, but I was just curious.

vectorarchitekt and BJ Malicoat like this.
  7. BJ Malicoat

Aug 10, 2022
    Male
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate the coverage!

Compared to the beta, this version has a final... sequence
    boss fight!
    . In addition, there are many quality of life improvements. There is a version in review with some updated textures and shaders as well.

FWIW, your save file *should* work with the released version.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  8. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Yes! It was so cool to see that Jared had picked your game and wrote about it. He seems to have a keen eye for good indie games. :)

You’re the best! Thanks for all the info. Good to know my save file will work too.

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  9. BJ Malicoat

Aug 10, 2022
    Male
    Submitted an update with landscape auto rotation + un-nerfed the slot machine. Just for you. For Christmas :)

10. OddAlun

OddAlun Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Unwrapping now, thanks! :)

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  11. wishlish

wishlish Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I like how clear the “ghost” card looks on the update.

I’m now stuck on what to do once you have all 6 of the runes and the key. My guess is:

I need to create the “impossible hand”. I’m asuming that would be the 6 of a kind. And since the key is on the lower table, it’s got to be done on the lower table only. And somehow, all 6 of the stones have to be used in making it, right?

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  12. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    I'm on the fence buying this.

waiting for someone who push my back.

What is speciality of this poker compared to regular poker?

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  13. wishlish

wishlish Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It’s as if Scrabble and Poker had a baby, and the baby’s godparents were Lovecraft and Clint Eastwood.

(The developer may use this quote for free.)

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  14. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    Sorry it was too hard for me to understand...

15. wishlish

wishlish Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Ok, now I need clarification.

I have no idea what to do.I’m at the stage where:
    1. I can’t draw new cards
    2. There’s a tarot card floating, but I don’t remember the text from the barkeep.
    3. I can only use the runes to change the hand.

Thoughts?

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  16. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    Over the course of the game, you acquire occult stones that allow you to manipulate your hand, among other things. It’s a clever twist.
    There’s no betting, although eventually you have an option to pay an ante for larger rewards.
    Gameplay is fast and rewarding, and there’s some Lovecraftian lore to it, which actually manifests itself more directly in the final stage of the game.

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  17. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    Translation of endgame dialogue:
    Forever have I slept. Six stones may call me but they can’t(?) join me in sleep. To my dreams I return.

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  18. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I gave up on winning the final stage. Mostly because it was too hard to get there. I hoped after reaching it once there would be a shortcut to the final stage. But to go through the whole process to reach it and then get destroyed by the final boss easily takes too much time.

But nevertheless it‘s a great card game and well deserved Game of the week.

BJ Malicoat likes this.
  19. BJ Malicoat

Aug 10, 2022
    Male
    Hey solarnya, I appreciate your interest! I think wishlish and Roxton did a great job describing the game, but to add to their description: Pine Tar is like a card game version of yahtzee. You have a few deals to draw cards and make hands from those cards. You can only score each hand once* and if you run out of hands to score, your game is over. Luckily you're at a friendly saloon where the barkeep enjoys watching you play. He'll reward you with coins that you can use to buy items to convert your luck into skill. However, some of the items are imbued with a little magick so you might want to tread lightly!

Hahah, thank you. If I ever have a boxed copy, I'll include this quote on the back of the box!

At that stage, you need to convert the hand you're given to the hand that corresponds to tarot card. If you can't remember, the next Spoiler tag will have the tarot card texts.

The Lovers - The Lovers want to see everyone's heart full.
    The Devil - The Devil is surrounded by two kings with the mark of the beast.
    The High Priestess - The High Priestess is a court of all queens.
    The Moon - There was no challenge for this.... but you used the Moon key to get here somehow...

Nice!

... but they cannot bind me.

Thanks for the feedback Ghostdog1. I'll think about ways to make it a little more straightforward. One sort of hack you could try if you're interested:

The game doesn't save during the boss fight (maybe that's unfair to begin with), which means you can create the conditions to get into the fight and then quit the app and it'll save at that point. If you are losing doing the fight, you can quit out of the app before you fully lose and then restart the app. Not ideal, but until I come up with a better shortcut, it's something! Glad you like the game regardless :)

wishlish likes this.
  20. wishlish

wishlish Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I beat the boss!

I do think you should include the tarot text, or some sort of hint, in the final levels. But I really enjoyed my time with this game, and would definitely play another game you create. Nice job!

BJ Malicoat likes this.