iPad Pinch 'n Pop! now on the App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ChaoticBox, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Hi folks,

I've been enjoying Touch Arcade and lurking here in the forums for a while now and wanted to announce that my first game has just appeared on the App Store. It's a free-form color matching game that's designed for arcade/action fans (and definitely not a puzzle game). For more info please follow the links below:

[app=Pinch 'n Pop!]Pinch 'n Pop! on the App Store[/app]
    Pinch 'n Pop! Website
    Gameplay Video (YouTube)

Cheers,
    Frank.

2. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Love the graphics, very neat looking critters :)

3. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Looks absolutely fantastic and like a lot of fun. I'll put it on my shopping list for the next month.

4. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Frank do you have a lite version in the works? I suggest you make one. They can boost your sales.

5. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    I'm having a hard time getting past the first level, no matter how fast I try to be. :(

6. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    @ dudehuge
    I've considered a lite version, but due to how the game progresses it's very difficult to come up with "lite" gameplay. There are no levels per se, you just keep leveling-up, and as far as I understand Apple does not allow time-limited apps or other common demo restrictions you might see on the desktop.

@ MattB
    My testers also thought I was nuts at first but it becomes much easier with a little practice. Going fast is not the best approach, try to be accurate and deliberate. Make sure you've got a good fleshy bit of your fingers on the screen - the touch interface hates finger nails. When pinching them together you'll want keep your fingers on the glass as long as possible (resist the urge to pull up). Sometimes it helps to keep one finger stationary and just bring the other finger to it. As your technique improves you'll find you can just fling two squirms at each other and they'll combine/pop even if you lift your fingers early. Thanks for taking the plunge, and please feel free to contact me with any concerns.

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    You're not going to drop the price to like $.99 tomorrow are you? That seems to be a trend lately with devs. I am thinking of buying this, though. it looks very well done.

8. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    It looks like you put a whole lot of effort into this. The graphics look especially nice. I'm going to get it after work, and I'll let you know my thoughts about the game play shortly after. Thanks Frank. :)

9. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Frank: You could just limit the gameplay to say 10 levels, for example.

I'd prefer a Lite version as well. :)

10. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    @ NotYou
    Ha - no, I won't be dropping the price anytime soon. I'm just as frustrated and annoyed as anyone else with all the pricing crazyness. I even mentioned as much on my developer blog. This is still a big loophole Apple needs to fix IMHO. Permanent price drops after a certain time, or occasional pre-announced sales are fine, but I've seen apps go through 3 prices in 3 days, which is just silly, and an obvious attempt to get a bump from websites that track App Store changes.

@ different
    But the game only goes to "level" 10 - you can see my dilema :confused:

I should stress this point: This is not a puzzle game with predefined levels. When you level up, the spawn rate increases and/or another color appears, and/or a new powerup appears. It takes some time (and a lot of skill) to hit level 10, and even more skill to hit that level with a decent score. The gameplay is continuous (and relentless) and designed to appeal to fans of skill-based/twitch arcade games. It may look all shiny and cuddly, but I assure you it's old-school - I wouldn't wish this game on Bejewelled playing grandmas for a second ;)

The only way I can envision a lite version is to make a separate "Training Edition" of some sort. I will definitely put more thought into this, but I can't promise anything at this point.

11. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    One more quick thing Frank - Are you thinking about adding different modes of play, i.e. puzzle, timed, etc?

12. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I definitely have a bunch of ideas, and a puzzle mode is one of them, but it's something I need to prototype to see if it'll be any fun before spending serious time on it.

13. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    This game is so much harder than it looks! I'm trying to not take my fingers off the screen but it's hard. It's gonna take some practice for me to get past the first level!!

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Level 3 and 34350 points.

This game is really addictive. It took me two tries to get a feel for the motions I need to to take. I'm glad the learning curve wasn't as steep as I thought it would be.

Great Job Frank!

15. Man that's intense! Just played it for the first time- got to level 2. Good game!

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Played a bit while I was waiting for a bus downtown. I think I just sold 3 copies of the game haha.

New HS: 82,400 on Lvl 6

17. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    #17 ChaoticBox, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    @ VegantTnT : Nicely done - Level 6 is where it gets tough :D

For anyone still have problems, when I said "keep your fingers on the glass" I didn't mean "keep your fingers on the glass all the time" (sorry if that caused any confusion!)

EDIT: This is no longer the case in v1.1...
    Thanks for the feedback folks!

18. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Just wanted to let y'all know that Pinch 'n Pop! version 1.1 is up on the App Store and now includes easier skill levels and much more forgiving controls (squirms no longer run from your fingers if you miss your mark).

Thanks again for all the feedback - please don't hesitate to contact me directly with any concerns or questions.

19. Thanks. To be honest, I stopped playing it as I found it too hard- Not once did I get past level 3. I will try this update and post feedback ;)

20. Frank, I have had a good play of the new version, and I am SO pleased you made the adjustments. I have amended my review on iTunes (it used to say the same as the others- that it was fun, but too hard). Here is my review I have now posted...

"This has great graphics and sound, and is presented well. You get your money's worth. However it was too hard in the first version, as other reviews state. Now with the new version, there are different difficulty levels. Not only that, the developer has made it much easier to pinch together. Both these factors make the game much more fun to play. The easier difficulty had me playing a good long while, and is ideal for newcomers to the game. This is now a superb game, and thoroughly recommended! Thank you to the developer for listening to the feedback."

I have also changed it to a 5 star rating too (instead of 4). Great value for money, and great fun. Thanks.