iPad Pinch n' pop is on sale at $0.99 ... Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by arono, Dec 30, 2008.

1. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    Hi just saw this in the TA new games and sales section i might pick this one up if it's really worth it so tell me

Alphabetic is also in sale at .99 which one of the two is the best?

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #2 istopmotion, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    Well the developer told iPhone users on YouTube that he didn't believe in dropping/raising the price of his apps, so this may be a one time opportunity. :p

I'd definitely get it. I bought it at $4 and it was all right, but I think it's a great deal at just a buck.

It's very original too, so that's a plus. :)

[Edit] I don't have Alphabetic, so I don't know if it's any good, but I still think I'd go with my decision of Pinch 'n' Pop! Hope that helps!

3. cama

cama Active Member

Nov 14, 2008
    I also bought it at $4 and i reckon it was worth it. Very fun, but just another beat your high score game.

4. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    +1. I also bought it for $4, I think it's very unique and polished. I was the one asking the question on YouTube :)...

5. jakemann23

jakemann23 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    didnt really enjoy this game as much as the previous posts... i wouldnt waste my time if i were you...

6. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I've been hoping this goes on sale, and watching the gameplay video again, I'm definitely picking it up for a buck!

7. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

No, he said no yo-yo pricing, so this will be the last sale for a while on Pinch N Pop. By June or July, we should be able to determine hot sale times based on the last year, so I'll just do those.

8. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I was hoping to sync up this sale with the new v1.2 release (in review) but Apple had other plans... The v1.2 update adds more robust local highscores (which you'll be able to upload to the global tracker in the next release) and tweaks the gameplay with more powerups and quicker level-ups to help keep things interesting.

Please note - Pinch 'n Pop! is a somewhat experimental twitch/arcade game that looks like a puzzle game, and some brainy-puzzle-game fans really despise it (and I mean hate-mail despise it!) The goal is indeed to get a highscore, but some folks just pinch everything in sight, hit 50,000 points and think they've done well when they've actually failed miserably. These same folks then proclaim the game is absent of strategy and requires no skill when they've simply failed to play strategically. I've tried to address this in the v1.2 update with highscore targets and better help pages, and will continue to add incentives that encourage strategic gameplay but I know I can't (and won't) please everyone.

And yes, the 99 cent sale is a move of desperation. I'll be weary of trying to innovate for my next game and/or fart app :(

9. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    The novelty of pinch n pop wore off quickly, at least for me. The graphics are great though.

10. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I just purchased it on the quality of the graphics alone.

11. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    This game has been on my radar for while and I think for $1 I can't pass it up

12. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    Thanks everyone i just got it and it's amazing, a really good game

13. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yes, it's definitely worth $0.99 and the graphics are amazing. It's fun for short periods of time until your fingers get tired.

14. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    I got this game when it first came out for $4 and I think that $1 is a good price. I wouldn't buy it again at $4 after playing it, but I would definitely get it for $1. I think it's better than a lot of games out there in the $1/$2 range and is fun when you're looking for a quick little game...or a more involved one once you get better at it. Can't wait to see to see the new updates with score targets...I think that will be a good addition to the game.

15. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    def worth it. I love this game

16. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I didn't enjoy this game

I purchased this game when it first came out and I must confess that I did not enjoy it at all. I found it really boring and regretted my purchase. You just pinch your fingers together on the screen to frantically pop as many of the "blobs" as you can. Maybe I missed something and someone can explain what is so great about it.

While I did not enjoy playing this, I was impressed by the polished asthetics of the game and will keep an eye out for anything else by this developer. I'll just be more restrained in the future and investigate further before purchasing!

17. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    That's a common assumption, and I admit it's my fault for not stressing the chaining mechanic enough. If you're just trying to clear the screen (which is impossible) then I can see how it could get tedious. The only way to achieve a decent score is to pop one colour for as long as possible. E.g. when you see "max chain" and hear the little cha-ching sound over and over you're on the right track. This gameplay video illustrates the tactic well - let one colour multiply while popping another, and use powerups to continue your chain.

18. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well that explains why I didn't understand the game. I thought you had to pop all the "blobs" on the screen. I've looked at the video link you provided and can see a big difference between how the game in the video is played and my feeble attempts! I understand a bit better now and I think I'll put it back on my iPhone and give it another go. Thanks for the link to the video and good luck with the game.

19. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I have actually saw this game somewhere on an app review site but I didn't even bother to look for the game play details. However, seeing that the price has dropped to $0.99 today, so I thought why not I try to watch a video review on it. And after I did watch it, I feel like the game play is really worth the money. I have yet to purchase it though until next year January where most interesting app will be released.

Anyways it's a great game for such a price.

20. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Great graphics, innovative idea... yes, but not gameplay, its pretty boring, but my 2 year old seems to like it.
    Need more in terms of gameplay, maybe some timer bar, more game changing items to break the tedium of pinching, how bout introducing some creatures that need to be stretched instead of pinched... that would liven up the drab gameplay.
    Coz in its current state it gets pretty boring past 10 minutes.

Good graphics though and definitely worth your buck.
    I hope they will improve it, make it worth 5 bucks instead!