Universal Pinball Breaker Forever (by XperimentalZ Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by XperimentalZ, May 18, 2016.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Why I aughtta... :( :D

More incentive for me to work harder! :)

2. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, better select that music carefully...

3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

LOL!

Just got 19th place with 1,994 points! \O/

4. bkerins

bkerins New Member

May 26, 2016
    Bonus?

I'm curious how the multiplier and end-game bonus work. I see the dots and circles, and there appears to be more than one color of circle, but I'm not sure how this translates to score. Also, when you drain, you lose some of the bonus and multiplier?

This is a really terrific game!

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    On the Left: End Game Points. Each dot worth 1 point, green circle 10 points, white circle 100 points.

On the Right: Green dot = 25% current score multiplier bonus, flushed on ball drain.
    Green circle = 25% end game points multiplier
    White circle = 250% end game points multiplier

6. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Dang! A good thing I just recharged my battery

*enters transcendental trance*

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Ah! Just beaten you with 2114, from which 1521 was an end game bonus! Got a crazy streak of whack-a-mole multipliers then 2 mega end game bonus (from the 2 sides avoid-the-x mini game that drops after completing another side track goal)

8. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Damn how the hell are you people getting these scores. I need to upgrade the power ups and stuff. I think the highest I ever got was 600. Hehe

Billy

9. callmesteam

callmesteam Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Albuquerque, NM
    My best games had huge bonuses. I try to focus for the minigame stuff on the sides of the playfield, but that can be hard too since everything is coming down the middle. Are you spending your money upgrading the skill shots and whatnot, or just on cosmetic stuff?

10. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah upgrading skill shot items can be very helpful. Some help building end score bonuses, some help a lot with survival (like laser or color blast). But it depends a lot how the cards are handled to you in a game and if you can sneak-in completing a skill shot goal between 2 configurations of blocks. It's a bit like juggling, always finding out what would be the best current strategy.

I know that Doom ended up having insane multipliers sometimes, that's how he got his high scores.

11. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    The game gets really good ratings in general but the Pinball aspect of the game really stirs passion. I would never have thought we'd be told to make a game less original!

here's a funny comment from the App Store:

""The game's faster than sonic
    byFinny Hat - May 26, 2016
    The ball goes faster than me towards the toilet at Taco Bell""

It looks like several people think that the game goes too fast. In this era of super fast action games, this surprises me a bit. But it's hard to ignore people who look for a more traditional pinball experience so perhaps the idea of having levels of difficulty would be a great way of coping with that.

The current gameplay could be the 'normal' mode. A new 'easy' mode could have the ball going slower and the carpet effect nerfed or removed. A new 'hard' mode could be an hyper version of the actual game with a higher board pressure for shorter game sessions.

This way of splitting the game into different leaderboards would allow us to take various angles on physics without breaking the actual vision of the game and everyone would find its place.

12. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Good idea. I thought the physics were something to grow into, and they have been. I'm used to it now and don't want it changed XD

13. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I REALLY like this idea. It seems well thought out and will add actual depth to an already awesome game. It would be awesome to sit down and decide what kind of game I'm going to play. You will also make multiple groups of people happy which is a really great thing to do. As I said you devs are awesome.

I wouldn't name them easy and hard though. Perhaps something like authentic pinball mode or something like that.

I also better be getting my XZ sides and flippers. I demand it. Hehehe

Billy

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah something like 'classic', original or supercharged and Extreme. Various parameters on the 'classic' version would be altered to make sure the game does not become easier or harder.

15. bkerins

bkerins New Member

May 26, 2016
    Thanks! One other quick question: occasionally a "power up" thing will happen but it will just be blank, especially one with sort of a dotted-line looking wall. What is this for?

16. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Your talking about the wall power-up? It raises the 'blocker' placed below the flippers, which blocks the drain for a while.

There's also blocks that require multi-hits, which have a higher opacity (mentioning that just in case you were talking about them).

The description of each power-up can be read in the shop menu. Same goes for the skill shots.

17. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Can't wait to see new boards or whatever you guys have in store. Great game, great Devs (would love to see some VoDs of people that can score pretty high) !

18. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks! We have to clear a big content update for Pixel Boat Rush, then we move to the first content update for Pinball BF.

And yeah it would be cool to see some high score footage!

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I should mention that I've been pushed out of the top 100 scores on Game Center. If I'd work hard enough, I probably could make it to the top 50 but hardly more. It's an amazing sight and I think it's wonderful when a bunch of players manage to beat you at the game you created. And I can't be that easy to beat, I've won a NES Super Mario Bros championship in my youth! Well, that statement alone is probably a proof of my age and declining faculties, but still! Yeah? Oh well..

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm sorry you suck.

Hehe

Billy