Universal Pinball Breaker Forever (by XperimentalZ Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by XperimentalZ, May 18, 2016.

1. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Titan Quest getting all attention maybe

2. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    #42 XperimentalZ, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Not just Titan Quest. I don't remember seeing as many strong titles (Titan Quest, Imbroglio, Raid HQ, Mekorama, Rush Rally 2, Galaxy Reavers), strong brands (Warhammer, Godfinger 2, Alice in Wonderland) or famous studios (Zynga, Glue Chillingo, Illusion Labs, Kongregate, Miniclip.com, Cherrypick Games, Pine entertainment, Paradox Interactive, Djinworks) releasing on the same week (not even mentioning several other titles worthy of attention).

Everyone compete for the same limited spotlight.

3. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    It's a nice game, but it lasts too long. Each game shouldn't last more than 2 min IMO.

4. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah what's the best game length? I have been asking myself the same question throughout the project. That's tricky to answer. This might depends on the genre, can change from people to people or depends on target audience.

Pinball and brick breaking game naturally produces a longer game length but I also think that it's better to have a shorter duration so I've constantly been trying to find ways to reduce the average game time, which probably now settles around 3 mins (but can go over 6 mins for seasoned players).

It's tricky because in a twitchy mini-game where there's not much variation on gameplay during a game, it makes sense to have super short sessions. But here the game is a bit more complex and there's several layer of depth. I thought it was important to have a sense of progression on gameplay during a game, in order to start easy on more casual players then start introducing more elaborated block configurations. Giving enough rope to handle side track skill shot events to construct a nice end game bonus felt important too, for the tactical aspect.

If we had new tables, perhaps it would be possible to start with more difficult maps right off the bat (the first table would serve as an introductory experience) but it remains to be seen whether that would be doable or desired for a majority of players.

5. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Id love it ! ^

6. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    This game is straight crack. Perfect implementation, just overall well done. Games arent too long or short. Just right.

If u want to make changes, add more pinball elements like ramps, bumpers etc, but otherwise its a joy and perfect short time waster!

7. mixolydia

mixolydia Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Excellent game. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

8. callmesteam

callmesteam Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Albuquerque, NM
    I was also a beta tester, and avid pinball-everything fan.

The physics feel a lot like a bagatelle style game, where gravity is always bringing the ball down. In pinball, the ball is rolling across an angled surface, not dropping straight down towards the drain. I think the current gravity or physics makes the most sense for this type of time intensive 'sniper' type game. Take a shot, and try to gain control quickly to make another controlled shot.

The carpet feeling on the flippers has changed since the original version. I actually liked the initial feel better (when it was being called velvet or whatever), but quickly got used to the current feel. The flippers are very large compared to the ball and field of play, but this is a mash up game and it seems like concessions were made to make it more fun. No problem there!

Long matches don't really bother me since we are chasing high scores. An easy fix would be add difficulty settings and have the aliens drop down the screen faster! (or slower I guess)

Someone got 8000 points??????? My best is 1,608 and that's with a large bonus in the end game!

I'm recommending the game to many friends, but all the pinball guys are having a hard time with the physics. Maybe because they don't play many other mobile games?

9. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Hmm interesting idea, that could linked to different leaderboards

You should see his top 10 scores list...he played a crazy number of games though before being able to regularly score above 3000, which is around my own best.

10. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    I like those ideas!
    Man that guy must be a pinball wizard..

11. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I like the way the ball reacts in this game. I would definitely love new types of tables. This is one of my favorite pinball mash up games. You also can't go wrong with the 80's neon vibe!

I don't know anything about the physics or velvet or carpeting. I like being able to quickly line up shots and the way the ball acts.

Billy

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I heard strange stories about him searching the wilderness for artifacts from which he gets his powers...

13. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #53 LordShad0wz, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Is there any chance to add an IAP for say $1 to have an automatic extra shield since the ads just don't work for me?

Just thought I'd throw it out there. 100 coins is too much for a shield. I'd rather save it for cosmetics or upgrades. Even with the doubler 100 coins is too precious.

Also I'd like to be able to get to the store without having to play a game and losing. I'd also love an XZ side walls and flippers theme to go with the XZ ball. So I can play with XZ pride! Hehe

Billy

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I must admit that I'm not a big fan of that idea for a number of reasons but I'll meditate on it. Btw on premium mode, I can rake 200-350 coins in a run so you need to train!

Thanks for remembering it to me, it had slipped from my mind. Flippers would be relatively easy to do, perhaps not a cover though but I'll try to keep it in mind.

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Really? I make between 80 to 150 per run. Man I suck hehehe

Ok I'll start playing eye of the tiger music in the background and go back to training.

Billy

16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

:D

Just thought I should give my vote of approval for PBF as well, since it's the game I've gravitated towards most lately. Awesome job!

I'll be joining M'lord Shadowz in the training area donning my MC Hammer pants, white headband and boombox. :p

17. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    LoL great! I must admit I can't get so many coins though until I've unlocked a bunch of power-ups. Also, I don't know if that's super obvious or not, but I'm always scanning for coins to aim for and give them aiming priority (if there's no higher priority on the board).

18. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Good idea! Although I'm more focused on keeping the ball outta the gap at the bottom most of the time! Haha. Not having trouble with collecting coins but more working towards the upgrades and high score. 1,595 is my current high...

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    That's quite decent! 22th on the leaderboard. Mr Pinball Wizard is still out of reach though with Derpe Derp being in second place with 3673.

20. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Sorry! I just pushed you in 23th place with a score of 1926! I'm getting rusty though, it took me 5-6 games to get there but I was on a mission, ya know....