Universal Pigeon Wings (by Ignacio Schiefelbein)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by schief, Aug 1, 2017.

1. schief

schief Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    developer
    Valdivia
    All right! Nice leads to work on.

-Hidden SecretsYES! YES! secret stages waiting to be discovered! Hidden Corridors you can sometimes glimpse when flying through a level that you can online discover by crashing into!!!

-timer at the top right corner. We had one! Then we removed it to keep things simple when learning to play.
    We should add it as an upgrade a la Upgrade Complete with the option to turn it on/off in the upgrades hangar

- GameCenter button on each level that links to the corresponding high scores.
    Easy! We'll keep it small to avoid clutter

- Touch controls.
    Seems a lot of people want that, sure. We're tilt brigade converts, but we do want more people to play so...

- Achievements to unlock with Game Center. Yeah, we never got around to that, there´s lots of ideas: pass 5 stages in a row without dying, white dove, passing a drone swarmed level without crashing any...

-Online mode We are toying with the idea of local blue tooth racing. Online multiplayer might be too big a challenge for Pigeon Wings :(

2. schief

schief Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    developer
    Valdivia
    We almost didn't launch on iPad! Pigeon Game gets really heavy on the wrists when played on our original iPad 2. You can buy "Sport Controls" in the hangar which increases tilt sensibility. The upgrade hangar is open from stage 1-3 onwards.

3. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Exellent,thank you! Wasn't sure if one of the upgrades alter controls,now i know.

4. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    For anyone who doesn't really do tilt controls, and I count myself as one of them, this is one of those times when you really just need to take the plunge - I picked it up because of the comments and because it looked great despite my thoughts on tilt and I'm loving this to bits. I do admit it can get a little taxing on the Air2 but it's a minor thing I can live with.

Would I prefer it with touch controls? Possibly but that's just me, consider me temporarily converted to the way of the tilt.

5. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    So far loving the game. Any chance for an endless arcade mode?

6. schief

schief Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    developer
    Valdivia
    That wouldn't be that complicated we discussed it but we need to find a nice way to get to that choice, especially for not complicating things for when a new player is introduced to the game, we were trying to keep choices to a minimum at the start of the game. Maybe it could be a secret level accessed by a hidden runway placed somewhere.

7. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Can someone please give me a hand with the draft thing, for some reason I don't get it.

Apart from that the game is great. And usually I'm from the "do not want tilt" faction too. But in this case ... to tell the truth, I can't imagine how this game would be with touch controls. I don't think your thumb is fast enough ... ;)

8. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Cool! Maybe it unlocks only when you finish the main game. Incentive #

9. krisimpossible

Jul 14, 2017
    On Tilt

When Ignacio first pitched the game to me I had two questions:

"Does it have to be a Pigeon?" and "Does it have to be tilt controls?"

So thankful he stuck to his guns! I was 100% in the touch control camp until we tweaked the tilt and really made it feel right. So glad to see diehard touch control players like me giving it a chance.

Btw, all ya'll are getting too good at this--I can't even world rank top 10 on our own game anymore!

10. schief

schief Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    developer
    Valdivia
    Follow the dotted trails that the other planes and drones leave. That charges the boost meter on the top left corner of the screen. When charged press the right hand button. Only accesible from stages 1-3 onward.

11. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Ah, so I figured it out all by myself. :)

For some reason I was under the impression that it might be more specific, like you have to be behind or in front of the other plane, keeping a certain distance etc.. I think the term "draft" is a bit confusing here.

But maybe it's just me and I'm simply not the sharpest knife in the forest. On the other hand, there are loads of guys like me out there ... :p

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It's a racing term but I'd say not necessarily common knowledge. I only learned what drafting was from Mario Kart :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drafting_(aerodynamics)

13. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Ah, hillbilly me ... :)

Ok, now everything makes sense. In my defense: I even went to dict and scrolled down a very long list, since "draft" is quite a meaningful term in many ways. See draft beer vs draft call vs draft agreement ...

The race thing isn't mentioned, or else everything would have been clear. (As a biker and formula 1 fan I of course know the thing, just didn't know the english term.) So, I just learned something I guess. \o/

Even more on topic: if you are still on the fence 'cause you (like me) aren't into tilt games - read this thread and give it a go. You won't regret it.

14. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Fantastic innovative game!

15. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Btw, I'm at 3.5, and I just played with headphones for the first time. (Big DJ ones.)

Do yourself a friggin favor and do the same.

What! A! Sound!

16. schief

schief Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    developer
    Valdivia
  17. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Game is not featured in the german app store. :(

Anyway, I just left a glowing five star review there. I do hope you're not going to get punished for making such a little beauty and going the premium way. Good luck!

18. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Ditto! (Grüße aus Thüringen :cool: )

I would love to see a ghost option because by now i have no idea which strategies are improving the track time and which not :confused:

19. schief

schief Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    developer
    Valdivia
    Lets hope not! still we did get some featuring in the us app store
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Wow, even a big banner feature, very nice! And you already got some five stars there too. Congrats, good start!