Picture for free?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WellSpentYouth, Feb 26, 2009.

1. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I was wondering if their is a source for free, uncopywritten pictures that I could use for my app. I would like a picture of somebody screaming for my loading screen, but anything including a source, picture, or even a program like paint to draw (for mac) in would be appreciated (bad wording). Thank you!

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    To avoid any copyright trouble, I suggest you go to a royalty-free photo site and actually pay for the rights. It's the only way you'll be safe for sure, and the pics are usually really high quality.

Or perhaps you could get someone you know to scream and take a pic.

3. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Thanks for your time! So their is no site that gives free pics?

4. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    what's the app about? (random off topic question I know, but what the hell)

5. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Yeah, I always hear about you making a spash screen or a menu, or savestate, but never any info about your actual game. :(

a friend of mine once did this to me for years. He kept coming up with gameplay and plot ideas, but never told anyone about them. At one point in 2006, he made a logo for the game, and it looked like it was in a dark room with a spotlight on the logo - very dramatic. It had the number "2007" in big white letters at the bottom - it looked like a movie poster.

I bugged him about it forever, and by about December of 2007, I told him he really needed to get some work done - so he updated my poster with a "2008" number on it!

It is now 2009. I guess it's time for a new poster. :p

Don't be that guy!

6. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Using CC Stuff is great, but he has to look out under which CC-License a picture was released and then must not forget to give credit to the original artist.

7. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    The app is going to be an entertainment, for fun app. It is not a game. It is my first app the I'll release, so I am still learning a lot! I will probably release a video in a month, so that will have a lot more information in it. Stay tuned!

8. stitchemwords

stitchemwords Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    have you tried image stock exchange? www.sxc.hu

9. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! Thank you!! Are those pictures copy written? If not, you are amazing!! Thank you so much!

10. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    All the images on SXC.hu have their own copyright agreements, it's best to read through them before using them. Upon saying that, there are a lot of images I've used from there where I didn't have to credit anyone.

11. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    #13 WellSpentYouth, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  12. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
  13. Erik32

Erik32 Member

Feb 9, 2009
    well, there appears to be two things.

The first is that you get charged credits to download the image. the larger the image the more credits. Assuming you need the smallest image then that would be 1 credit. A dollar.

Then there is the license. If you include it in an electronic product for resale then you break the license. I'm not a lawyer and didn't even read the contract very carefully but it looked to me like inclusion in free products was fine, but you need to be sure of that yourself. The license for unlimited electronic resale was 75 credits ($75).

14. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    $75 for that pic? Retarded. Thank you for the reply! I'll just hire my artist again :( Hopefully less expensive. Thank you!

15. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    life: 'tis rarely fair. maybe your app with hit #1 and $75 will be chump change to you :D

16. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Great idea! 1st sounds like a good position :p It is only a simple (my first one to be released. I might not release it) sound app with a few animations, so nothing special. I am very young, so this is just for school. My dad got me a macbook aluminum, a few books, and he's going to pay the $99, so I don't have any lack of funds. I am doing this as a project, but some cash would be nice bonus!!!