Universal Pico Tanks - Multiplayer Mayhem

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PandaArcade, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandaArcade

PandaArcade Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Customization!

A little teaser of our customization system :)
    [​IMG]

2. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Love it. Who doesn't love a tank with a sombrero?

3. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    “Awww, look at that cute little tank with a cute little sombrero; a tank that cute couldn’t possibly be packing a MASSIVE SNIPER RIF... *BLAM* ... ARGH!”

4. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Hey guys we're tyring to come up with a name for something. What would you call upgrades for an item that has already been maxed out? :confused: Supercharge? PowerMod? Boost?

[​IMG]

5. Fish alan

Aug 5, 2011
    I like the concept of overclocking for something like this. Perhaps overclocked or some clever spin - overpower, overcook?

6. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Advanced?

“Your Advanced Toilet Plunger is now ready for installation.”

Or maybe some some version of magnify.

“Yeah it was looking touch and go so I PowerMag-ed my toilet plunger and those guys were toast.”

It’s a tricky one; I’ll let you know if I get a flash of inspiration.

7. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    This is a very good idea as it describes the concept perfectly with a term that would be familiar to tech folks. Does need spinning.

OverBoost? That’s a term relating to turbocharged car engines, typically performance cars, where the turbo provides more pressure than it would in general use.

8. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks MetaGonzo & Fish alan! :D Here is a list of all the suggestions so far...

Boost
    Boosted
    Cataclysmic
    Cheating
    Chopped
    Colossal
    Hypergrade
    Jacked
    OverBoost
    OverCharge
    OverCook
    OverDrive
    OverKill
    OverPower
    OP
    Pimped
    PowerCharge
    PowerMod
    Supercharge
    Transcendent
    TurboCharged
    Upgrade+
    Zooperdoop

9. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Supgrade

The superior upgrade or super upgrade!!!

10. Ann0ying

Ann0ying Well-Known Member

I like Overcharge or Overdrive.

11. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    The team rebuilt our tank rig so that the base of the tank bends and squashes using a shader. Now we can skin mesh to bones to do things like turn the front wheels of this truck but also bend and squash it. We're super excited to try it out with a bipedal mech tank :D

[​IMG]

12. EvilKyo

EvilKyo New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Awesome game!

Wow, i really dig into this one. I’ll follow you guys right now! I want to be the first one playing #

Keep on the good work!

13. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks EvilKyo :)

Gears & pizza :D

[​IMG]

14. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    #54 PandaArcade, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018

While making Pico Tanks and we often create fun stuff that we want to share with the community.
    https://github.com/PandaArcade/SquashAndStretch

I was thinking of using something like this for a goo cannon in Pico Tanks but it turned out to be overkill for what we needed.

This repo is Unity 2018.10b12 project where I am experimenting with a squash and stretch shader. The shader is created with Amplify Shader Editor (ASE v1.5.2 dev 03) plugin but you don't need it to run the project, edit or use the shader. ASE will make understanding and editing the shader much easier. http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-shader-editor

What is in the project? A shader that squashes and stretches a mesh based on the given radius and squash values and a script to set those values.

I have also included a version of the shader that uses partial derivation to generate the new normals for the deformed mesh. Thanks to ASE for the following example which I copied/referenced to recreate my normals. https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/75qurr/amplify_shader_editor_new_vertex_normal

The shader achieves its translucent feel with a MatCap texture that is included in the repo.

I hope someone appreciates the share :) Have fun!

15. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
  16. Fish alan

Aug 5, 2011
    Love the shader and love the spud cannon! Perhaps the hovercraft needs a bit stronger particle effect where it touches the ground? Other than that, just beautiful. Love, love, love.

17. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks Fish alan :D

Thanks for the feedback, yeah we still have some work to do on our effects system. We'll do a post when we've made some progress :)

18. gamefish

gamefish Well-Known Member

May 2, 2011
    I really love the graphics, especially the particle effects!

19. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks gamefish :D

We're working on a bunch of boring stuff like UI and balancing atm. We will have a mini-gun turret to show of soon though :)

20. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Fog effect, spooky huh?

A fog descends over Pico Tanks, where'd it come from? I haven't the foggiest #

What other weather effects would you like to see in Pico Tanks? #

We're experimenting with a mobile friendly height fog to add extra atmosphere to Pico Tanks #

We're creating the effect using shaders so every shader in our game has to be fog enabled. To make this easy we create a fog function in Amplify Shader Editor and reuse it in each shader.

The shader function in the video is calculating the effect in the fragment shader (calculated for every pixel). For the final effect we'll add a 'Vertex To Fragment' node so that the effect is only calculated for every vertex to improve performance.