Universal Pico Tanks - Multiplayer Mayhem

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PandaArcade, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandaArcade

PandaArcade Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Missions are finally here!

Pico Tanks Version 29.0 is available now! You know that greyed-out tab that says "Missions" in the Pico Tanks menu? Well, you'll be happy to hear that some colour has been added and you can now access that juicy content. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to complete a number of epic and/or ridiculous tasks on a daily and lifetime basis. Your prize: awesome rewards!

It's not the only place where some colour has been added. You can now preview paints and toppers on your loadouts in the customization menu. Same with the other tank parts - equip a weapon, body or ability you have already Discovered but haven't Built yet, and try it out in the Firing Range!

What are your thoughts? Let us know here or on our subreddit.

[​IMG]

Play now (Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines only)

Pre-Register for Global Launch (and get a Sheep Topper!) for Android and iOS

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I did try the TestFlight version a few times but could never get into a game. I’ve downloaded it off the NZ store since I didn’t want to wait for it to hit the U.K.

So far I’m enjoying the game and glad I can finally get into matches! I see a lot of similarities with brawl stars so I can’t help comparing it to that with some points that could do with improving but I understand it’s a new game and they have been working on theirs much longer with a bigger budget I imagine too!

But honestly it’s good, I definitely want to play more. I’ve played Brawl Stars every day since it released.

PandaArcade likes this.
  3. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    It's awesome to hear you're enjoying the game so far! Thank you :) It would be interesting to see how a long-time Brawl Stars player finds the game. We're happy to hear any suggestions you have for improvement.

We started working on Pico Tank before Brawl Stars had been announced, but I don't know exactly when they would have started development. More staff and a higher budget certainly helped them get the game out sooner

ste86uk likes this.
  4. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #304 ste86uk, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Honestly I really do like the game and find myself looking forward to getting to go on and play some games which is a good sign especially for a free game, I don’t feel like it’s too freemium so far but I guess I am use to the brawl stars model.

Sometimes I wonder if there are bots while it’s not fully released yet or are they all real people? Because I’m just demolishing them and most of them seem rather stupid and don’t even pick up health packs when right next to them.

I’d like it if the store button got a sign on it to let me know when my free chest is ready to collect and also when a mission is complete. I love the missions it’s something brawl stars doesn’t have and gives me some goals and maybe changes how I play sometimes to meet those goals.

I know it’s probably a bit late to say now but I’d of liked it if there was a choice of tanks at the start, if you had maybe 3 choices of starting weapons and people could pick based on play style so everyone doesn’t have the same weapon. Although with that said it seems everyone has different weapons I’m yet to unlock any but very close on a few of them.

I love the graphics in the game it looks great although some maps I like more than others and I can’t help thinking about all the possibilities with maps and game modes but I’ve been spoilt by brawl stars and I know they didn’t launch with anywhere near as much as they have now but it’s always great to know if a game becomes popular and does well it has space to grow.

The one criticism I think I would give which I hope doesn’t sound harsh but I really don’t like the background on the main page it just feels very dull and I’d also like to be able to go into options and my tanks etc while it’s searching for a game although that’s not a major problem just a convenience really.

I thought I seen some patch notes about adding a tutorial for the garage? I’m pretty experienced in games so I figured it out very quickly but on iOS you cater to casual gamers and nothing is really explained at all about how that works.

Also I downloaded this on my NZ account but I’ve pre registered with my U.K. account. Will I still get the topper? How is the account saved and protected I don’t see a Facebook link or any kind of account so far.

What is the thumbs up for at the end of the match does it do anything? Also I have a daily mission to get 60 kills with the cannon weapon, that seems like a lot for a daily mission giving me the same reward as using my yellow ball topper for 3 wins. Edit: With that said I have very nearly got it now anyway.

It would also be nice to have a more clear energy bar, the one around the tank I can’t even tell how much I have sometimes or what the max is either. Maybe if it was around the ability button or it just said a number in the top corner or something?

Edit: I know it’s pretty long already but thought I’d edit to add that the controls are spot on and no connectivity issues so far. Brawl Stars can lag at times even on 4g or WiFi.

MetaGonzo and PandaArcade like this.
  5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    My stats so far but I am only on day 2 and I had way less deaths but had a hard match the first one I’ve nearly lost that went into overtime. That was nail biting!

Attached Files:

PandaArcade likes this.
  6. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks! We have recently added missions, too, which gives something new to do every day. It is definitely a good sign though if you are keen to play matches because you're having fun, that's what we are aiming for :)

Since you mentioned you are in the UK, you would most certainly be playing with bots at the moment as you are too far away from the players in Australia, NZ and PH. Once the game is launched, hopefully you shouldn't need to run into them too much with players popping up near you. Having said that, we are still going to improve the bots to be smarter :)

We just added a FREE tag in the latest update to let you know when there is a free crate in the store. We've also added in-game alerts to let you know when things have finished upgrading/you've completed a mission etc.

We've tried to make it doesn't take too long to unlock more parts, but I get what you mean - you can get excited when you want to customise straight away but their isn't much you can choose from. Perhaps when we have a lot more weapons we could consider having a couple to choose from straight away with the rest spread across Divisions.

We have so many maps planned, we're looking forward to being able to expand on what we have already. Each map is hand-crafted, so it probably takes a bit longer to create compared to Brawl Star's grid-based maps. When we make a new map theme it takes a very long time, but it's definitely worth it. Right now we have 3 game modes spread over 7 maps in 3 different themes (forest, shipping yard and caves). Which maps are your favourite?

Thanks for the feedback, that's something we can look into :)

Did the tutorial in the garage not come up for you? We can design short tutorials if it seems a lot of people are having difficulty understanding. Which parts do you think need more explanation?

We hope to implement Facebook login in the future, but at the moment players will need to connect Game Center or Google Play Games within the Pico Tanks settings so that their progress can be saved in the cloud. As long as your account is connected, if you reinstall the game your progress should carry over.

Sounds like you managed to get it okay in the end haha. That sort of thing we can tweak, so we will see how players respond with certain missions. Generally, if there is a daily mission you aren't keen on, at least there will be a new mission there the next day. Also, the thumbs up at the end of matches don't do anything at the moment.

The ability buttons do have their own little energy ring to show it's charge. We'll take note of your feedback, thanks :)

That's great to hear you haven't run into any issues! We really appreciate all of your feedback - thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and thoughtful post.

As I said we are going to be adding lots more content so we are looking forward to you and everyone else being able to play it. We have been developing Pico Tanks for a long time now, and now we are finally releasing. It's scary but exciting at the same time haha

ste86uk likes this.
  7. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    #307 MetaGonzo, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    ste86uk likes this.
  8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Ooo nice just deleted and downloaded on my U.K. account and I’ll definitely add you soon. I want to make a purchase to support the game since I’m enjoying it and definitely having fun. I did think people were bots to start with but I’m level 15 division 4 now and starting to feel like some are real people now but hopefully with release that’ll change anyway.

Will deals come back around?

I did see that the last update did add some things that I’d mentioned which is great to see and I do see what you mean it tells me on the ability of I have enough energy to use it but I still think it’s hard to see how much energy I actually have. My max is 6 with this tank body if I knew I were at 6 I’d probably pop an ability sooner rather than waiting until I need it to save wasting energy production.

I’ve only unlocked one weapon so far and one tank body and one ability, although so far I still feel like the cannon is best even out of ones I’ve checked out on the range. Although I thought just over 1k gold I was rich and the weapon cost me 1k to unlock but I’m gaining gold again so it doesn’t seem as bad as it did at the time when it seemed like a lot.

That’s great news about the maps and it’s hard to say what’s my favourite as I don’t know their names but my favourite is the forest capture the flag map and my least favourite is probably the cave just because I’m not keen on the aesthetics for it. Also I only just today started getting the map and quest for capturing the item, is that normal?

The tutorial for the garage didn’t come up at all but could that be because I previously had a TestFlight version? I never did anything on it though as I couldn’t get into games at the time. I didn’t struggle with anything I just thought for more casual people they may not understand, but if there is one there and it just didn’t come up for me I’m sure that’s fine.

As I said above my data has successfully transferred so Facebook link doesn’t matter too much to me because GC is just as good and congratulations on the launch! I hope it goes well and that lots of people manage to find the game and enjoy it as much as I do.

I think the biggest compliment so far I can give is that in some ways I think it’s more attractive than Brawl Stars and the gameplay is just as fun and I can imagine even more so with more tanks and strategies happening through all of the choices unlocking over time. I’ve actually been choosing this to open before Brawl Stars.

9. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    The daily deals in the shop? Yeah I’ve seen plenty of repeats.

I have to say that I pay no attention to the energy readout around the tank. I find it much easier to read and manage with the gauges on the ability buttons themselves.
    I like using the monster truck so with 3 slots there are on the fly decisions to be made a plenty.

You’re spot on about not wanting to waste energy. Get the repair drone and it solves that problem. Even if you’re full health it will fix your teammates or even your deployable turret (another ability I love) so you can use it with impunity and it’ll probably do some good.

The cannon is a great weapon; it hits very hard when upgraded. I use a helix which causes a great deal of damage. 2.5k DPS on level 17. Big ouch.
    I’m turning to the medic now as it’s tactically much more interesting.
    Unlock and upgrade the landmine ASAP. It’s cheap to buy and improve and can cause serious trouble when hidden in cover or under medkits if you’re feeling really evil.

Not quite sure what you’re referring to here. If you mean the missions then the mission system is only a few days old so I’m not sure there’s a normal yet.

High praise!

ste86uk likes this.
  10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    It sounds like your well ahead of me! The helix is the one I’ve unlocked and it does do good damage just fires a lot slower i was use to hiding in a bush then unloading all 3 shots and destroying someone.

So far I only have the shield and medkit abilities I did check out the turret on the practice mode and I’m looking forward to unlocking more options. I’d probably go for tankier with more abilities rather than faster for myself.

That sounds good about the medic, it’s the one I’m looking forward to unlocking as I play healer in mmorpgs and other games that give me the option so it’ll definitely be one of my main tanks once I can heal.

As for what I meant I mean with the game having the three modes, dm, ctf and the cargo one. I was only ever getting dm and ctf until today I only just started getting cargo matches when I got level 15.

Edit: oh and yes the mine does look good, although it’ll be hard to choose to get rid of my shield of med pack for it.

MetaGonzo likes this.
  11. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I was pretty hooked by the beta (although it was hard to get a game in Europe) so I jumped in the soft launch with a AUS account.
    I’ve been playing bots mostly because of the Europe server population but I’m sure plenty of people will catch up soon. I’m division 13 though!

Helix is a heavy hitting bit of kit and highly recommended. Needler and Viper are also successful it seems although I’ve not used them in anger.

Bots can’t play cargo so that explains that. I’ve played 840 matches and think I’ve only done about 20 cargos if that. It’s good fun though.

I also started with shield and medpack. Medpack is great as you can fling it at teammates and turrets. Shield is obviously useful but I find it’s more something used when things go wrong so I don’t use it now and try not to go wrong (and often fail!).

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    That’s lucky getting all those bot game’s as I just had my first loss ever and my first laggy game and damn the rewards suck for a loss I only got 7 gold.

I need my shield to block 70k damage for a big quest at the minute which is a rough one and hiding in cover for 1000 seconds seems to be taking a while too. I don’t think it counts when I have the flag which is a lot of the time.

But I’m sure people will catch up to you soon enough I’m starting to see a lot of new players now all division 1/2

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA