Universal Pico Tanks - Multiplayer Mayhem

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PandaArcade, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandaArcade

PandaArcade Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2017
    #1 PandaArcade, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    [​IMG]

Pico Tanks is a multiplayer mobile game of bite-sized battles between adorable little tanks. This is a game that can be enjoyed by casual players in short sessions, but also offers great depth and strategy for an enthusiastic and dedicated fanbase.
    • Bite-sized team multiplayer. Few experiences in gaming are as satisfying as winning as a team, but it can be hard to find the time to dedicate to intense online multiplayer titles. Pico Tanks offers deep, strategic, team-based gameplay that can be enjoyed in quick 5-10 minute sessions.

• A huge amount of depth. While casual players can just jump in and have fun, there’s immense depth for enthusiastic players to explore. Custom-build a tank from dozens of different components, personalise it with decorative items, then deploy it across a diverse range of maps and game modes. The strategic and creative possibilities are endless!

• Built to encourage teamwork. Pico Tanks is played from a top-down view, so every player can easily see what’s going on and work out where they are needed. It also has built-in systems for team communication and positive feedback to facilitate and reward teamwork.

• Satisfying feedback. Just because it’s cute doesn’t mean players won’t get the full tank experience! Pico Tanks features visceral audio and visual feedback like weapon recoil, environmental interaction, camera shake, and high impact effects to let players really feel the action.

A player’s tank consists of a base, weapon and abilities.

The base is what moves a player's tank around the battlefield, is also determines the tanks health points, speed, stability and the number of ability slots. Some examples of tank bases include:

- Typical tank base
    - Hovercraft
    - Quad Copter

The tank weapon is mounted on the top of the player's tank base and is the primary means of destroying the enemy. The player's weapon choice determines their effective combat range and how best to approach enemies. Weapons vary greatly in damage/healing dealt, projectile speed, projectile trajectory, effective range, fire rate, reload speed and kickback. Our goal is to have a weapon selection comparable to the Worms series of games by Team17. Some weapon examples include:

- Standard cannon
    - Bounce cannon
    - Zapper

[​IMG]

Abilities are the extra tools the player can use to obliterate the enemy or support their team. Some examples of abilities include:

- Personal bubble shield
    - Targeted airstrike
    - Deployable turret

Post release we're are planning to add a survival mode where a solo player or team fights increasingly difficult waves of AI enemies, more content and a possible release on console and steam.

Check back for updates :)

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Looks pretty good

3. thomas.foster

thomas.foster Member

Jul 11, 2016
    London
    this looks fun!

4. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    #4 PandaArcade, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Swarming Missile Test

Thanks dreadnok & thomas.foster :D

Fun with new projectile types. Here is a swarming missile test =D

[​IMG]

Since Pico Tanks is multiplayer to sync the projectile across clients we send the projectiles initial position, velocity and launch time. When the message is received by another player we can fast forward the projectile to it's correct location. The noise function uses the projectiles network ID added to the projectiles lifetime to generate a random position, this way each projectiles movement is different but also deterministic.

5. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Pico Tanks - Quad Copter Tank Base Test

We're in the process of implementing and testing the 60 weapons and tank bases our artist has mocked up. For the quad copter tank base we've added the ability to tilt the tank in the direction its moving.

[​IMG]

6. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
  7. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    Oh that is too sweet! Looks amazing already

8. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Pico Tanks - Zapper!

Had way to much fun implementing the Zapper gun! :D YouTube

[​IMG]

In case anyone is curious the effect is made up of a line renderer with a particle system and glow quad at each end. If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them :)

[​IMG]

9. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    Just followed you guys on Twitter so I don’t miss a thing. Would love the test this bad boy

10. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks dreadnok :D We'll definitely do a shout out on social media when it's time for a closed beta.

11. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    I’m really surprised that a lot more people haven’t chimed in in this game

12. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    #12 PandaArcade, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah I thought people would be more excited :( Any thoughts on why people aren't showing their support?

We've made it so the Zapper arcs across multiple bad guys :D We'll probably make the damage, effective range and targets the arc will traverse upgradeable.

[​IMG]

13. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    I really don’t know, could it be the online multiplayer aspect? Is there a single player campaign that allows you to just play against the AI?

14. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Yeah you're probably right :confused:

We're are planning to add a survival mode where a solo player or team fights increasingly difficult waves of AI enemies. This mode will probably come post release. I will add this info to the top of the thread.

15. invulse

invulse Well-Known Member

Game looks fantastic!!

I saw the game is made in Unity. Did you guys use a networking library or write your own?

16. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Wow thanks invulse! :D

We're using Nakama by Heroic Labs. This is the first project we've used it on but so far it has been a positive experience :) We tried UNet and Photon(every flavor) all of which didn't work well at the prototyping stage, they were either horribly laggy or felt unresponsive to the player.

We're constantly playing and testing on a mobile internet connection and it's working great so far :D

17. iJailBreaker

iJailBreaker Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    This does look promising, keeping an eye out for it for sure.

18. PandaArcade

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks iJailBreaker :)

Every Friday we spend a part of the day working on something fun. We put together some tools to help automate parts of our level authoring process.

We already had a tool to create bezier curves, so today we put together some code to generate a forest inside of the polygon defined by the curve. We could place the trees by hand, but we have a visibility system in the game that hides players who enter a group of trees and we'd have to update that system every time we move the trees around. Now we just reshape the forest by modifying the bezier curve and the forests are updated along with the visibility manager.

We have a fence generation tool that also works with a bezier curve. The fence segments and posts are instantiated along the curve at a set distance between each other, and the code that generates the fence 'wires up' every segment to its neighboring posts. This ensures that when the player destroys a post the segments connected to it break too. This would be pain to do by hand, so we've automated it too. #

Here is a video of the bezier tool, tree and fence generator in action!

19. Zopatrol

Zopatrol Member

Oct 23, 2017
    USA
    This game looks awesome. I have attempted several of the io type tank games, but this looks way better.
    Looking foward to give it a go.

20. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Wowsers; how did I miss this?

Looks fantastic. Very much on my radar now; keep up the good work.