Universal Phoenix II

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Selachii, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I am absolutely LOVING this!!!

I do have a couple of questions...

I'm playing on my Canada iTunes account, so I can't purchase anything... When the game is released worldwide, and I download the game from the US store, will my progress be tied to my Firi account like Phoenix HD?

And second...

How do you teleport? I kept collecting the blue things until the circle wouldn't grow anymore (at least I don't think it was growing...) and could not for the life of me figure it out. Is it something that'll be unlocked once I put currency into the teleport upgrade, or should I instantly have it with the ship (it's Prime X, if that helps)?

Other than that... I love the quick burst play. It's a big change from the original, but all these ships!!! unlocking them should take some time, even if you play every day.
    I don't know how I feel about the IAP & currency earning yet. I've only gone through one mission so far and I think I earned about 200 coins. Something like that... But I didn't see/didn't pay attention to what place I was in, so I don't know what the 'payout level' was around.

Anywho... Enjoying the crap out of this so far. That's all... =oP

2. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #42 Jayg2015, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Getting use to not progressing now . Liking it more even though it will take months to fully upgrade a plane without buying the upgrades.
    I understand the model it's not meant to be "blasting through" the game which is totally fine. I like a slow burner every now and then.

Definitely a slow progress game but a good one.

I downloaded Phoenix hd again though to get my fix on the original Phoenix model.

All in all Phoenix 2 is a 12 stars out of 10.

Terrific job guys. It's a smash hit and can't get enough

3. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

You guys make me want to try this badly!!! :D

4. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, keep it coming <3

@syntheticvoid Yes, progress should be tied to your Firi account.

The teleport thing is something I heard a lot and it's all about the Zen mode. The Zen mode is locked when you get a new ship and this is only indicated by having 0 of the 'level blocks' filled, which is unclear. We will improve this by showing a 'locked' label in the ship description and replacing the word 'upgrade' with 'unlock' in the detailed ship view in the Ships tab.

To explain the Zen mode itself we are adding a second part of the tutorial (or Prologue), called the Intermission. It will briefly explain how the Zen mode is activated by releasing the screen. Soms Zen modes require energy, like the Teleport, and currently an audio cue plays in case you do not have enough energy. If you do have enough energy to Teleport, the game will go into slow-mo a short while after releasing your finger. You can then pick a place to teleport to anywhere on screen. Upgrading teleport will reduce its energy cost and increase the window of time you have in slow-mo.

Again, thanks for the feedback, don't hesitate to ask questions and offer your critique!

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Right on... thanks for that. I feel a little stupid for not realizing that beforehand. =o/

Anyway... been playing more, and I just can't get enough. It's worked its way into my 'go-to' group of games (right next to Imbroglio & Heroes Of Loot 2). I'm still not completely use to bullets not coming back up after going down, and being able to zip through the trails behind the bullets is still a little weird... but I'm starting to get more comfortable with it all.

6. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Nah, it's not you, it's simply unclear :)

What do you mean here?

We're going to tweak the trails of the Dart projectiles, they feel too dangerous like this.

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    The boomerang bullets in the first game... they've got my mind wrapped around that, so I'm constantly looking behind my ship to see if any bullets are coming back at me from behind... Even though I know there aren't... =oP
    Just funny how much that stuff sticks with ya... See red bullets that look stylistically like Phoenix and I'm gonna be scanning the bottom of the screen to see if there's any boomerang bullets coming back at me from behind. =oP

8. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    I just posted two videos of this game on my YouTube channel

Its great! I love it ans its hardness! It keeps me on my toes!

9. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This is my record for today

Attached Files:

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Every time you clear an act and the screen resizes, the ship moves from its spot without me lifting my finger so every act I have to reposition my finger, which also uses energy...

Is there any way this can be tweaked, to keep the ship where it is in relation to your finger, or does the screen resize make it impossible? It's not a big deal... But something that's kinda bugged me. =o/

11. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I really really wish I could play this. I'm such a massive supporter of the original.

Billy

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    You have a Canada account, don't you?

13. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    This is part of a really complex situation. The zooming part is something we think is very cool to the game and it allow us to introduce these gigantic enemies. However, there is a small conflict with relative touch. Because the game zooms out, everything moves inward a bit, but you finger, of course, stays in the same place. At first we simply kept the ship in the same spot in relation to the finger, but in that situation bullets could suddenly 'move sideways' in relation to your ship because they were moving along with the camera while your ship wasn't. The problem didn't seem so big initially, but when you are navigating a dense bullet pattern and the camera starts zooming it basically meant you had to compensate for that movement as well, which is very hard! (I hope this explanation is clear enough, the situation is rather complicated :) )
    So now, the ship moves along with the entire scene when the camera zooms out. The distance from your ship to the surrounding bullets remains the same if you do nothing while the camera zooms, and that is what you want. The side effect is that the ship moves in relation to your finger, so yes, you will have to reposition it.

I hope that answers the question and also provides some interesting insight in the kind of problems we encountered while working on Phoenix 2.

14. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    No. I wouldn't even know how to do that. Wouldn't you need a Canadian address?

Billy

15. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    I recommend patience over using 2 Apple ID's on one device :)

16. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #56 Gwarmaxx, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

you don't need a real address, you can put all xxxx instead, check the address format on google before.

never had problem with IDs on my devices, anyway you can switch accounts on desktop iTunes, download soft launched games and then sync them through iFunbox, if you still are at least on iOS 8.2

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thank you for the detailed explanation, Selachii!

I've started playing with a ship who has attraction power, so lifting my finger is now a non-issue, as it's something I'm doing at the end of waves anyway.

And I... Am loving this. Now that I'm more comfortable with the game, the currency output seems fairly decent. Upgrades can make a huge difference, and it's not like we're going to need to upgrade more than a couple ships at first. The rest are kinda just something to aim for over the next couple years... =oP

But I'm hooked. It doesn't replace the original, and brings its own set of challenges to the table... I love it. Love love love love love it.

18. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #58 Jayg2015, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Very cool game

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    The money doesn't maker you better, it's your own skill. I haven't even upgraded any of my ships yet but I can still get a bit further each time I play just from practicing the level.

20. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Wait... so this'll be freemium?