Universal Phoenix II

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Selachii, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowballTheLamp

SnowballTheLamp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    This looks awesome :D

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am hoping that the iap model, being very different from Phoenix HD, does not charge to upgrade the ships. Although I guess there might be a way to do it, it seems that would feel like a paywall. I bought all the ships in Phoenix HD as I liked the different playstyles in each. I guess time will tell.

3. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The iAP model is very transparent. Playing the game earns you credits. Credits are used to upgrade and unlock ships. Credits can be bought to save time.

Additionally, a Warp Gate will send through a ship every now and then, so you will be unlocking new ships in any case!

I will post about the different abilities soon, but we are quite busy finishing the game ;)

4. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Release the Kraken already#

5. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    #25 Selachii, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    I see what you did there ;)

Well we are making nice progress, honestly, check this epic screenshot. It features the Trireme player ship. Its main weapon, the Burst Pulsar, is an aiming laser beam that shoots rapid bursts. The green Aura indicates this ships has a Missile Swarm Aura. Enjoy :)

Attached Files:

6. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    I don't mean to double-post, but here we are, Phoenix 2 has soft launched!

It is available in the Netherlands and in Singapore, the App is listed as Phoenix II instead of Phoenix 2.
    Phoenix II on the Dutch App Store

The Soft Launch is nearly the complete game. Most notably Communities have been disabled for now, other than that, all ships are in with their abilities. (Though most of them do not have the proper engine effects yet :) )

7. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    #27 FBI Light Rock, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Can't wait to try this out! Hopefully it goes worldwide soon! Always been a supporter of the original one, bought all the ships!

8. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Please try to launch this beauty in the USA by the end of the month:D

9. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Agreed. Or please do test flights. So those of us in the USA who are enthusiastic can get in on the action.

It's been so long that we've waited for this sequel.

Billy

10. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Umm am I missing something here? I downloaded and started playing but this is so wierd . You can't earn money or level up unless u beat your previous progress ... Why? Am I missing normal game mode here?
    I only see daily mission.
    Am I overlooking the actual game mode

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Can you soft launch it for devoted fans in the US? :D

12. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I made a Singapore I'd . Took about 4 or 5 minutes tops. Was playing within 5-10minutes. I live in USA

13. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Can I please add a regular mode or endless mode.
    Daily mission is the only thing available and my first run. Was the furthest I ever got.
    U have to beat your furthest progress to get any progress and upgrades.
    So only playing once a day sucks

14. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    You are not missing anything :) You can try to improve your score with another ship or upgrade your current one to try and get a higher score.

Upon release we will also enable 'communities' which allows you to play in a group with its own 3-day mission. In that case you'll have 2 missions at your disposal.

In the future we plan to add more missions, but on release there will be the Daily Mission and Community Mission.

15. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #35 Jayg2015, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    I've played for four hours and haven't earned any money to do upgrades. I feel that you are going to get a backlash from this . Unless you spend money on ingame currency you can't earn money. It's actually not as rewarding as the first game.
    If you don't get further than your furthest run you can't even get money to upgrade your ship to make any progress.
    This should be fixed IMO .
    How am I going to get further if I can't earn money to get further.

I was a huge fan of the first game and was so excited for this one. After an hour of scratching my head and no progress unless I pay to get further im already done here. Sad . This had so much potential .

16. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    Soft launch remember things might change I can hope

17. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    @Jay: Thanks for the extensive feedback, I really appreciate it. The feeling that there is nothing you can do is bad, so we are going to give that some thought!

As an overall note, Phoenix 2 is not a game you can 'power through' by playing it a couple of hours non-stop and it is not a replacement for Phoenix HD :)

18. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Just updated, patch notes below and available in Canada!

19. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #39 Jayg2015, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    The balance helped me get a little bit further.

But a couple things . You die if you get hit once and on some screens there is absolutely no chance of dodging and with no way to upgrade your health then you die instantly. Also with no way to earn more money to upgrade weapons so
    Unless you get further you have no chance but to wait an entire day to play again.

I understand you didn't want another Phoenix hd but what we loved about that game has almost been taken out of this one .

The warp is a great feature . I enjoy being able different ships and has a timer so I can't keep warping which Is nice.

The game looks more stunning than the first. Graphics are amazing .

Like how you incorporated the leaderboard in this one

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    What I've noticed is that the difficulty relies heavily on you using all your ship's abilities. So for example when you're in a spot where there's no way to dodge fire, you need to be using your Aura ability to wipe the area clean of bullets. That and the Zen ability need to be used just about as much as your main weapon. This isn't the type of game where you can just blast your way through everything, there's actually a lot of strategy involved and it's heavily skill-based.

Just keep trying. When you get stuck and keep dying at a spot, think of what ways you can use to get past that spot that aren't just dodging bullets and returning fire.