Universal Phoenix HD - Bullet hell Shooter by Firi Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 12, 2011.

1. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Hi El, the ReplayKit feature sounds awesome, but I'm not on iOS 9 so i guess it's out of reach.

On to the interface changes... Unfortunately to be very frank i dislike it. While integrating the leaderboards is a welcome feature, i would suggest to remove the circular borders entirely, including the info video. I would even suggest just don't use any borders; any kind of those around the ships just won't flow with the background design.

My suggestion, is to use shadow for bought ships, fully colored ship for the selected ship, and dotted outline for locked ships. Or something along that line. This would then require no kind of borders. Additionally, leave the ! symbol for the info icon floating without the border, and make it a little more dynamic - bend the ! mark and add some color like red to it.

Another feature which felt limiting is the leaderboard at the main menu. I suggest being able to swipe left and right to show your position and score. Left would probably zoom out, right to zoom in (or vice versa if that's comfortable to you).

I wonder what you guys think about the new memu design and my suggestion? :)

2. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Wow that's some very specific feedback and very nice at that. Getting rid of the circles is an interesting idea, I'll probably do a mockup to see how it works. My initial concern after reading this is the separation between the ships and whether it's clear that it's a carrousel. Thanks a lot for your input :)

3. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I've gotta confess: I would like a way to read about each ship's capabilities without the need to click into a separate screen, but maybe I'm just lazy. I get muddled up which one is which, so that's why that's useful.

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Good shmup, purchased all ships and have to a say that this is rite up there with the best off them. Good stuff, always has been. Has lingered on most of my devices for quite sometime now.

5. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Out of all the ships, I find myself always preferring the missile ship. I play this game several times a week. No matter what else comes out. I love this game.

Billy

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If it confirms anything, this is still my top shmup for iOS. .Decluster Zero comes second overtaking Danmaku Unlimited 2. Without relative touch, Shooty Skies is nowhere mear those 3, despite how good it is right now.

7. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the kind words guys! It's great to hear you enjoy our game and are still playing it after such a long time. It's amazing to read these kinds of reviews. It's one thing to see in some stats that someone played our app over the course of years, it's another the read these personal stories. <3

Phoenix HD will continue to receive updates and eventually new player ships as well. Though we have new games coming up, we are also hard at work on something really really cool for Phoenix HD :)
    https://vine.co/v/ePlUVtJ0XOK

8. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    #48 Selachii, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Don't mean to double post, but since there is no Apple TV section I'll do it here.

Phoenix HD has been approved for Apple TV #

That's right, even though you could already play Phoenix HD via AirPlay we have now also built a native Apple TV app. A lot was tweaked and improved to work better on the big screen, graphics etc. Our controls mapped perfectly to the Siri remote input and it plays great! Of course if you want to play with a controller, that will work great too!

But the best part is, co-op. That's right, two ships can take on the endless waves of enemies at the same time! Co-op has its own unique leaderboards which additionally keeps track of the 2 ships that were used to achieve the High Score. We have also added a way to enhance the co-op element with the ability to revive a player who was destroyed. Any health pickups by the player that is still alive are transferred to the fallen player's health bar. This means the player that is still alive is in a kind of sudden death mode as his health can not be replenished until the other player is back up! When the health bar is filled, the player is reborn like a true phoenix rising from its ashes ;)

Attached Files:

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Whaaaaaa?!?!? Now i feel like getting an apple tv.

10. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    this has been one of the top bullet hell games for ios why i still love it i used to play it on my old devices and it still ran perfect when i could not run any of the cave games, now i got my 6+ soon 6s+ and it still runs and looks beautiful cause the devs show the love for this game still after it being out as long as it has and it still holds up.

cant wait to see what you guys have in store for other games, i always wish you guys could make a shooter like this but with rpg elements added to it and a story oh man it would be sick...

11. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    First time playing this and wow, can't believe I ignored it for so long. I love the leaderboards implementation!

I'm loving the game and I'm thinking about buying the special offer pack (all ships + coin tripler) but first, I need to ask...

Are the leaderboards functional? I mean are they clean of cheaters or is it too late? Is the game secure enough or has it been hacked long ago?

Thanks.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's clean. Cheats dont last long there either. The difference is that this is a more private leaderboards which is unique to Phoenix HD, and it's awesome.

13. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Welcome to the Phoenix HD leaderboards Den Den, great to hear you like it. If you have any questions or feedback, don't hesitate to post it!

The leaderboards are still actively maintained by us. If you don't trust a score I always recommend checking it 24 hours later. If it's still there, it's legit :)

The top scores are truly insanely high, but know that these people have played this game a lot and have become very good at it :)

14. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Thanks for the honest answer. I'm on the fence and might buy the special offer pack any time now, my finger's on the trigger. Should I wait a couple of days more or...? :) Have your IAPs ever gone on sale?

15. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    By the way,
    I can't wait anymore......................where is Phoenix 3???????????????? :cool::)

16. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    It's up to you Den Den, you can try the other ships via the free test flights for a while if you are unsure. The ships have always cost $0.99 each. The special offer throws in a free coin trippler. We have not done a sale in the past 4 years :)

We are hard at work on Phoenix 2, it should arrive somewhere next year. We'll continue to work on Phoenix HD along side, we still have some ideas for new ships :)

17. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    #57 Selachii, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    We have submitted a cool little update for Phoenix HD. Most notably it adds support for 3D touch. Force pressing the screen will now activate your stored Power-up so you no longer need to tap the screen with 2 fingers! As a cool little visual effect you can see the stored Power-up scale up in size as soon as you apply more pressure until it reaches the point that it activates.

The update also includes some small graphical improvements courtesy of the Apple TV version. These range from improved burn emitters on enemy ship to saying farewell to the "copperplate" font with cheesy gradient used for scores and text in game.

It has been submitted, so it should hit either this week or the next.

Update: To be released on Thursday next week, feb 11th!

Enjoy.

18. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    This

19. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hey there,

As a long time fan I have a request. Is it possible to please put in an IAP for one free continue? I would pay $.99 for this feature. I did purchase to unlock everything way back when I first got the game.

Still love playing this game and I appreciate that it is still updated. What's amazing is it's a beautiful and still relevant shmup even after all of these years. It goes to show how great you guys designed the game.

Are you guys working on any other projects?

Billy

20. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Hi Billy, thanks! It's likewise awesome to see people post about their long-time experience with our game and still enjoying it. It's amazing to realise Phoenix HD has become part of their mobile gaming experience in general.

Wouldn't it suffice for you to buy the 'Phoenix Revive'? It is basically a single continue.

Funny thing about the single continue, I hardly get a higher score with it. I usually get destroyed again quickly after the Revive is used, simply because I've reached my difficulty/skill ceiling.

And yes, we are hard at work on Phoenix 2 and Pocket Quest. More details on Phoenix 2 soon :)