Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ahhhh!!! Update with a new ship!

So far, I dunno how I feel about it. The vortex whatever that sucks everything in is nifty, but that huge drop in health when using your special is carazy. Gonna take some gettin use to... But so so glad to have yet ANOTHER ship for this beautifully outstanding little gem. Thank you so much for the post-release support. =oD

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woah... HUGE surprise right here. Thanks for the bump!

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I guess I'll at least try it with the test flight feature.

4. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
  5. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    The test flight feature is nice. I'm definitely getting back into this, even though the coins leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm still not sure if the tripler is enough to completely nullify the need for grinding. Also, is there no way to recover my account? All my scores are gone, my achievements are intact thankfully. (including Mister Universe)

6. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Wew, this thread resurrected itself like a true Phoenix! (ok too easy, I know)

Nice to see such awesome responses, we're stil happy to work on Phoenix HD every time we come up with a new ship or feature. The Flare is an homage to the ship from our first game Flare Elite, which will be on the App Store for 5 years this march... CRAZY!

@sapphire_neo: We should be able to recover your account, shoot me an email at el-at-firigames.com and we'll get started :)

7. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #1547 sapphire_neo, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Sent you the mail, hope you can work some magic and get my scores back.

Edit: All my scores have been restored, thanks for the fast turnaround on that!

8. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    No problem, glad you can access your original scores again!

In other news; it seems the "reset difficulty" button took a holiday vacation as it doesn't appear to function anymore. We've fixed it internally, so it should work again in the next update (which will come some day :) )

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I'd like to request again that you add an option to turn off dynamic difficulty, and allow manually choosing a difficulty setting instead. Every other game I play which has a dynamic difficulty feature also allows turning it off, and I almost always do, since I prefer to set the difficulty manually depending on my mood rather than having it changing around under me. Thanks.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hmm... somehow the framerate isnt as smooth now on my ipad air. it feels like maybe it's the controls, since the enemies still move very smooth. My ship however kinda stutters, and the ratio of finger movement to the ship's movement isnt 1:1 anymore.

11. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    i already wrote that in the game controller thread:

"It may started as a test but my flatmate and me are quite addicted now and battle for higher scores every day,lol.Even without a controller ;-)

I need to get a new gift card for some christmas sales now....and to unlock your full package ;)

Thanks for this great game!"

..and i would like to add:i would also like to switch the dynamc difficulty off from time to time.I didn't even know about that feature,was just wondering how different the plays sometimes where.I see now that it doesn't make much sense to compete with a friend on one device.

12. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Really happy both veteran as well as 'newcomers' are enjoying the game. This makes for an even more merry holiday spirit, thank you guys :) #

Request noted, I can understand the 'mood' argument. As always, no promises etc :)

To be sure I will clarify what the dynamic difficulty does, because there might be some misconception.
    • - Dynamic Difficulty does not change the difficulty (or anything) while you are playing.
    • - Dynamic Difficulty only goes up and this depends on the highest score you have achieved.
    • - It is only intended to offer easier gameplay for newcomers.
    • - The game is intended to be played on 5 stars.
    • - All games on 5 stars are balanced equally.

So, I would advise everyone to keep it on 5 stars as it is the best in terms of pacing, scoring, bullet speed etc. So, the plays can feel really different, even when you stay on 5 stars, but that's the nature of the game :)

(fyi, 5 star difficulty is enabled after a score of over 1 million is achieved. The next game will be on 5 stars. :) )

Please post any questions on this, I tried to keep this explanation as short and 'on the surface' as possible. In-depth information available if you want, of course!

We will investigate this and I will post our findings!

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #1553 syntheticvoid, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Aaaaaaand I'm hooked again...

I've been playin with the Flaire ship all day today and am really starting to dig it. I thought I went through power ups fast with the Phantom... This things nutzo. =oD

**edit**

Oh yeah, the 1:1 ratio... I thought it felt a little off too, but only up and down, not left & right. And it seems to go back to where it was... Like it'll disappear under my thumb a little when going upward, but move back to exactly where my thumb was when I pull it back down. It's not much, but definitely noticed it.

I'm on an iphone 5 if that helps at all...

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Can anyone convince me to pick up the tripler as a way to completely eliminate the need for grinding coins. I would want to use the drones, extra items and health on each run. What minimum score would I need to achieve per run to allow that?

15. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    I don't think it's enough to buy everything every try, but it goes a long way :)

Thanks for the movement feedback, something seems a bit off indeed, will investigate!

16. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I've found with the coin tripler I can usually make back more in a run than I spent on powerups, so for me it does eliminate grinding. It depends on how well you play though, since while powerups make it easier to survive longer, they're no guarantee.

17. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I found the option to reset the difficulty.I'm fine with that,i don't need a selectable difficulty then.Unfortunately does the reset not work.I get the popup ("cancel - reset") and a confirmation sound if i press"reset" but nothing happens.A restart didn't solve the problem.

18. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Yes it broke down, sadly. We've already fixed it, so we'll send an update to apple 'soon' :)

I'm super curious why you guys reset it and how often.
    So far i got:
    - chill mood
    - longer games (people really want longer games? :eek: )
    - higher score (i think this is impossible)

19. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I actually don't reset it any more because I find one star too easy. Ideally I'd like to set it to 3 or 4 stars sometimes. For me it's just the first two items you mentioned. Sometimes I just want to recognize patterns and dodge bullets for a long time without it being super challenging. Most other bullet hell games I play, including a few Cave games, Danmaku Unlimited, and another whose name I forget, all allow manually setting the difficulty level. My favorite driving games and RPGs all allow setting the difficulty as well.

I understand some games are just designed to be played on one difficulty setting, especially high score chaser games. However bullet hell games seem like a genre where there is more than one reason people enjoy them. Chasing high scores is one reason, but like driving games, they are also just fun to play. Sometimes I want a really stiff challenge, and other times I just really want to tune the difficulty to a level where I'll be able to last a long time and enjoy identifying patterns and dodging bullets. I don't care if you reduce the rate at which points are earned in lower difficulties enough so I can't score really high that way, since when I'm playing that way I don't really care about the score.

20. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks for that bilboa, very good to know.

As a sort of background info, Phoenix HD used to allow you to set difficulty, the setting used to be presented right after ship selection, before you start. It could be set to any number of stars. We found, however, that most people didn't understand it, ignored it and always kept it on 1 star.

We're definitely giving this more thought now :)