Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Look great th new hd ... But feel slow somehow.

2. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I was able to purchase all the items on my iphone but still shows not test account message on ipad.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    why is the hd version free? Shouldn't it be better?

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    FPE, doesn't feel slow to me. Maybe you should try playing the original game again.

LOLavi, they've made the core game free so that more people can play it and the game can get more exposure. And at the heart it's the same price, not free. 99c for leaderboard access, 2.99 for the whole package. The universal bullet hell app will get them a lot of mileage because no other dev has put out such an app yet. Cave's discovery of new RAM on iDevices notwithstanding.

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, this is amazing!!! Can now add Phoenix to the VERY small list of Retina supported shmups!! =oD

And to the even smaller list of UNIVERSAL shmups!! Congrats on breaking through the mold Firi!! =oD

6. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The 60fps allows you to see more of the fast moving particles/projectiles etc. so it is more smooth and you might interpret it as slower.
    For fun you can go back to classic Phoenix and see how it feels like it is skipping all the time, that's just because the frame-rate is 30fps.

@RCranium666: also when you log out of game center ( and do not log in) on the ipad and then start Phoenix HD? If so, we have found the problem.

We have found an issue which applies to iOS 4.1 and 4.2 only. We have fixed the issue and submitted an update which is currently awaiting review. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

@LOLavi: It is better! :) It is free, because we moved a part of the game to in-App Purchases. This way you can see if you like, before purchasing other features of the game.

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    And lest we forget, moving the leaderboard access to iAP will cut down on the pirates on the charts ;)

8. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Ok ... in anycase I just purchased everything and enjoying on my ipad2 :D

9. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    its a different gamecenter and apple id phase where you use the same apple id email/pass but you are on leaderboards for people with betas and testing stuff of that sort. heres what you do.

log out of g/c
    relogin and you should be on your normal account.

to make sure you are on standard gamecenter make sure the gamecenter app home screen displays "me" in the bottom left hand corner instead of your g/c username

10. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Thanks for the reply. I've logged out and back into gamecenter, but when I open phoenix it still says ' sign into game center *** Sandbox***, with the option to use existing account or create a new one. Using the existing account just signs me back into sandbox again. Its a vicous circle. Googling it says that people who have installed pirated apps get this problem but I haven't done that, I only jb'd to install imame4all.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm downloading it and will check it out later. Definitely looking forward to trying this on my iPad 2.

12. killwhitey

killwhitey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    looks incredible! plays so smoothly! much easier to see the faster moving bullets at 60fps. amazing shmup. so much fun!

13. flameon

Jul 26, 2011
    did you check gamecenter and see what it says on the lower left?

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I think thecgame is not slower but smoother and plas fantastic on my iPad .... Would be great to also have a mode with a smaller ship!

15. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    It says Me there, that is until I run phoenix, I get the sign into account box which seems to sign me out of my own account because when I go back to game center I am not signed in, if I do sign in then it says sandbox. I'm wondering if it is to do with a program I installed the other day to test some games for a dev called testflight?

16. flameon

Jul 26, 2011
    thats what i used. weird enough, i could upload scores to g/c even with the sandboxed account. if you really aren't interested in the betas, try deleting test flight and see what happens. did you buy the leaderboard IAP for Phoenix HD?

17. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Thats the problem, I haven't been able to.

18. h9lz444

h9lz444 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    anyone has some tricks/tips for me how to score high ? I'm at 250 000 or something and only playing on difficult level one star. :/

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    there's a few in the original Phoenix thread... torwards the beginning if I"m remembering correctly...

one of which was 'always go side to side in a big bullet barrage, never up and down' - that one stuck with me... =oP

20. flameon

Jul 26, 2011
    so you cant delete the testflight app? D: