Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    If this is long term maybe it should be tiered, so you are competing with people around your skill level?

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I still don't understand this mindset. Do you do this with every game you play, just stop when you get to a rough spot? I understand dying at the same point over and over and thinking "this is the best I can do" but that's actually what motivates me to continue playing. Eventually, I always pass that point that I thought was impossible and it's an amazing feeling. THAT'S the incentive. It's like people think they should be able to just beat every level of every game with almost no resistance, and if that's not the case, the game is broken or something. I don't get it.

3. xhui

xhui Member

Feb 14, 2011
    #163 xhui, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    I think it's other more interesting things to do out weight keep trying till beating all the mission. You have to remember this is a mobile game, meant to play on small downtime etc. Kinda like time vs effort ≥ fun ??? something like that lol

4. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I really hope the developers read this but anyways

I like how the game zooms out for more space for bullets, but I think it zooms out a bit too much.

Wave 1 is too zoomed in
    Wave 2 is perfect
    Wave 3 is perfect aswell
    Wave 4 is too small.
    Wave 5 never reached it.

I feel like after wave 3, the game becomes impossibly hard on an iPhone because the bullets are so tiny. Feels like an iPad game but I love playing games on my iPhone.

5. lewis33

lewis33 Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Exactly.
    I love hard games, I've finished all the Demon/Dark Souls games if you want to know - but it's on PC, when I play long sessions.

But on mobile, I play 3-5 games at a time, let's say, and always in small sessions of 2-5 minutes. If one game (in this example, Phoenix 2) does not grant me with "something" in-game each run (read: currency, XP, unlocks, ...) then I'll just play another game, no worries. It will just take mooooore time for me to "complete" the game or be bored with it. The problem is, there are so many good/great games out there, that I'll probably be bored before I "finish it".

Another fun game I play right now which (imho) has bad iAP is Rodeo Stampede: same problem here, you can buy (with real money) a cash cow which gives you more coins (cool), but that's all. When you play, you get a minimal amount of coins each run, and I get no incentive to play when I finish my daily quests (whch can be renewed by watching ads, that's a very good thing, I do that usually once a day).

And with this in mind, I'll never drop any money on P2, whereas if it had some kind of iAP like "double coins", or "any run gives you coins", I'll gladly pay (not more than 1€ for each) for them, as I did in many other games.

But hey, the devs chose their business plans, we just have to accept it :(

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I almost hate to admit it but I have to agree with Lewis33 here on both Phoenix 2 and Rodeo Stampede. I could be in love with both games but for the exact same reasons I'm not. Happy to move on but a part of me is always just slightly disappointed when there's a great game in there that you just can't get at. I dropped £5 into both games and don't feel compelled to drop any more as it would just kind of feel that I was on a hiding to nothing.

7. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    No plans :)

Lots of plans for rank and league systems, will take some time to arrive.

The zoomed out view allows us to do those cool varied formations and giant enemies near the end, it's a unique aspect of the game. It does help to have a bigger device :)

8. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    That's what she said..

9. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #169 Delusionaltool, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Dude i was totally going to say this, If there is a duplicate you should be able to sell it for money or like he said get a free upgrade for that ship. Be another way to earn money too as it takes a few days for a mission to finish and get the credits for it.

this game has its issues, but damn if its not like crack!

Sellachi or Firi games I know your watching the thread, do you plan on adding more level types and different music than the 1 track ? you should have a different music track per level.

10. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    IDK... I've tried this game a few times, but I still like Phoenix HD more.
    The fact that you have a set mission each day leaves out the fun for me. Sure, you can memorize enemy patterns and get better but I liked more the ever changing levels in the previous Phoenix; that was just skill and improvisation.
    And on top of that I LOVED the scoreboard concept, local, by region/province, by country... that was awesome.
    I found myself eager to play some more Phoenix HD after trying Phoenix 2; that means something went wrong in developing game mechanics in this one #

11. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    It actually isn't "helping": it's the difference between having realistic chances to beat the level or not. On an iPhone 6/6s it's very difficult to see through those tiny bullets, I can't imagine playing it on a 5/5s/SE #
    The zoom in Phoenix HD was perfect; I could play it on my iPhone 5 with no problems. I have a 6 now and it's very very very difficult to tell the bullets apart in wave 4+ #

12. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I have a iPhone 6 and I have no problems with the bullet patterns in wave 4. I'm being honest. And I have diabetic eyes. I love the way the game zooms in and out.

I just wish the devs would add permanent IAP options and make a mode like in the first game. I still find myself enjoying the original Phoenix more. If they added a mode like the first game I would really be happy.

Billy

13. Mrbestapps

Dec 9, 2015
    Yeah I play on the iPhone 6 aswell and it gets too small after wave 4.

You can still fit a ton of bullets and patterns on wave 3.

14. Mrbestapps

Dec 9, 2015
    Btw forgot to say how amazing this game is and what an amazing job the developers have done. Some minor changes and updates and this will become my number 1 game on my iPhone:)

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    It's easy to understand this mindset. I have a ton of ships unlocked. While personal achievement is an important part of the game so is the ability to upgrade your ships. You get very little to no rewards for playing over and over. It is very unbalanced. It's not enough to want to just keep beating my personal goals. To lose over and over because I simply cannot earn ANYTHING to upgrade the fighters I've unlocked. There's fun in upgrading your fleet and trying them out. Especially when the levels change everyday. I made 2 purchases just so I could upgrade two of my fighters. I really shouldn't have. I did so because in the end I like Firi. They are good devs. I just hope they listen and make it so that we earn more credits when we play and maybe add a credit doubler IAP.

I totally get the mindset because I share it.

Billy

16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Still playing several times a day. I'm not having any issues seeing bullets at all on my iPhone 6 screen. I was pretty satisfied to finally get to wave 5-2 on today's daily mission.

@FiriGames: Thank you for the fast email response regarding setting up a new Firi account password. You guys rock!

Is there any plan to implement Game Center achievements and leaderboards? When I go to the game through GC it says "No Data" or something like that.

If not, is there a way to see how your GC friends are doing on the missions so you can kinda compete that way? It would be nice to see just a list of friends scores on any particular event. Even if it's in-game.

Keep up the good work!

17. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That kinda kills part of the game for me. I mean I am glad that the game is so popular, but I want the leaderboards to be more local or something if this is going to be the case like Phoenix HD.

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    So I went and bought some credits. I had been waiting for the Phoenix to come from the warp gate but I just had to get it for nostalgia reasons. Is it me or does it seem underwhelming ?

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade it or not. Does anyone have a fully upgraded Phoenix? Maybe post a video with it? I was just expecting more from it I guess since the game is named after it. Would anyone recommend spending my purchased credits to fully upgrade it?

Billy

19. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Mine is (almost) fully upgraded, and no, I wouldn't recommend it. Still feels weak.

I'm getting more mileage out of my not-at-all upgraded Proxymar.

20. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#180 Anotherkellydown, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    The Phoenix was one (if not the first) ship I got in the warp gate (or purchased, can't remember). It's also the only one that's fully upgraded. I love it, but don't have any others to compare it to, stat-wise. I really like the Phase Disrupter in the Razor VI, and it's barrier ability is cool, but I'm so used to having the Bullet EMP in the Phoenix. I just like it the best as a secondary ability..

If I can record a video I'll put one up. Edit: Couldn't find a video recording feature in the game.