Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Absolutely, there's all this anticipation that builds up for the gate activation, and it's a major letdown to get absolutely nothing. You should get some credits for duplicates. Also, while I understand why duplicates need to happen, I don't think the starter ship should even be a possible draw.

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just started this and plonked down £3.99 for 5,000 credits as it's only way I could find to pay for anything. Maxed out the first ship and happy to wait out getting other ships and upgrading etc. Is there anything else to buy except credits? Just not a fan of that kind of IAP. And can you play previous missions like on Leap Day? And does it really need a constant internet connection? I'm on holiday and my internet is pretty rubbish - seems weird for shooter too. Enjoying it just hoping for a bit more Game, for want of a better word/phrase/kind of thing.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Whoosh! Finally recorded a completed run. :)

4. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Expected a boss fight at the end. Hopefully one will be added in the future.

Oh and is that ship bugged? Half of your enemies didn't even do Anything

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #125 Royce, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    That's that stun emp. It looks amazing. I haven't unlocked a ship with it yet myself but I can't wait.

Edit: though by the looks of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it's nerfed before I even get one...

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The thing is, Stun EMP is a preemptive skill that is used offensively, but it cant save you at all if you get cornered. At this point i dont think there'd be nerfs yet. Too early to tell. If anything, the leaderboards is still being dominated by Bullet EMP ships.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #127 Royce, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    The very top of the leaderboard seems to be dominated by offensive aura skill ships (particularly those with missile swarm, from my very limited experience and not leveling it up at all, laser storm is not very good) since it appears that once you complete a mission, completion time is used as a tie breaker. This seems like an unfortunate choice that somewhat hurts balance since defensive ships, while they may make completion easier, will not be able to take the very top spots from ships that can obliterate enemies more quickly. I'm not sure what a better solution would be though, and maybe that's just the trade off you have to make.

In terms of proliferation of ships with bullet emps vs stun on the boards, keep in mind that there are 4 common ships with bullet emp and only 2 with stun, so more people have the bullet emp. I definitely think the stun emp seems to be the more effective aura skill for late game situations though since I don't have it yet I can't say for sure.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I guess it's situational. If you can destroy the bosses during one or 2 weell-timed Stun EMPs, then it is better in that situation. But in those situations where you cant destroy bullet curtain turrets and the boss itself with those EMPs, then you'd be better off trying to dodge and weave through bullets and use the bullet EMP as a last resort. Stun EMP has no last-resort factor in those situations.

And speaking of bursting down, it seems right now a lot of those in the ladder are using the missile barrage one.

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I can see what you're saying, and that weapon you use that doesn't allow you to direct fire at specific turrets certainly doesn't help (though it does allow you to forget aiming and focus on dodging), but I still can't wait to get a ship with stun :) And yeah that's what I tried to say about the missiles in my post but it was autocorrected to "middle" for some reason.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I got to 5-4 (final wave) with both my upgraded Stun and Bullet EMP ships, but the boss with 16 laser beams and 2 rotary nova curtains hiding behind them, i cant get past it yet. LOL

Im going to bed now, try again later if i can use either of these ships to complete the final wave.

11. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    #131 Selachii, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Thanks for all the positive feedback as well as the honest critique being delivered in such a civilised manner. You guys are the best.

No plans for Apple TV at this point.

We read it all :)

I see you have figured out the Stun EMP since this post, but let me add some more info about this.

Most Aura abilities are more effective when used with more energy. The Stun EMP has a longer stun time when used with more energy, the Missile Swarm shoots more missiles etc. Not every Aura ability works the same way, so for some it's more about range (Bullet EMP) and for others more about effectiveness (Barrier).
    There are some improvements we want to do here, once of which is a visual indicator to show your ship currently has max energy.

Yeah, we really want to do something like this.

There will be more, both simultaneous missions as well as different worlds. More details on that in the near future.

Correct, a bug snuck in to the UI. There used to be a nice separator line which we'll be fixing asap :)

Wow that is an awesome and terrifying description of the soundtrack :) It is titled 'Horns of Despair' and available on Apple Music and Spotify (in case you want to meet Cthulhu again)

Be sure to post any questions or feedback, we read and consider it all, even if I don't reply to it directly!

Also, when you press the pause button in the top left corner, there is a really cool 'screenshot' button that dumps the current game screen to an uncompressed photo that can be shared, saved or whatever... printed as a poster above your bed... just saying :)

12. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Damn you Firi Games!!!

I'm hooked!!! Despite my criticism of phoenix 2, I can't put the damned thing down, and have already spent a considerable amount of real money on buying and upgrading ships;)

It's good to hear that you plan on expanding it in future updates. So even with me not being entirely happy with Phoenix 2, I'll keep playing and waiting for things to come.

13. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Damn, nice progress. Which ships are you enjoying the most? I'm using the Yoth mostly right now, but it does not have a lot of punch fully upgraded, feel like I need more offense to finish out the 4-x

14. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Anyone else feel like this game isn't iPhone/small screen friendly? The zooming out makes everything so small. I really prefer the original game where it never zoomed out. Opinions?

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have fully upgrade Juggernaut and Mist Star, and i like both ships considering it feels like 2 different shmups between their playstyles so i always swap between them. I cant wait to unlock more ships and get them to max.

16. Canthar

Jul 18, 2012
    Don't have either one of those yet. Was considering the Juggernaut though, thanks

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The Juggernaut is perfect for turret/boss killing, but the slow firing rate and single direction makes it difficult to clear smaller enemies. Its shots hit really hard, and explode in an AOE on impact which helps with clearing smaller enemies.

18. Canthar

Jul 18, 2012
    Hmm, not really a fan of those straight line shots. My skills on the phone are not really up to par for making good use of it. More practice!

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    For straight line shoooting ships, i personally think Juggernaut could be one of the strongest, and a little bit more versatile coz of its AOE.

20. Canthar

Jul 18, 2012
    Got the von Braun. Semi-homing missile with good damage. Think the ship has potential, now to try upgrading it or not....hmm