Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    They should have access to new weapon sets, but they haven't shown up in the field yet. Checking if that's luck or something else...

At the moment it is 3 seconds and 2 seconds if you have no revives. All feedback is welcome, it's a new feature, so thank you <3

We have some new ships coming up but I'm not sure if they will be in the May update. We are working on a ton of big things and I hope I can reveal more about that soon™

This would be great indeed, to have tutorials for the Aura/Counter abilities, much like the Zen intermissions. But you hit the nail on the head, we are currently prioritising other features.

Sounds good indeed :)

2. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Personal opinions and questions : why did you have to make the best looking and most fair monetised bullet hell so user unfriendly?
    1) The constant finger repositioning needed through the acts with the zooming out camera (my finger has to be constantly right under the reactor, because anywhere else it obscures the bullets) can cost you a precious second
    2) The act 4 camera is way to zoomed out, especially in missions B+ it makes it impossible for me to see the bullet gaps. Act 2-3 zoom is the perfect one for me, why can't we choose our zoom and stick to it through all acts?
    3) why can't i instantly tap away the revive when i don't want it and have to wait?

About point n.2), i am playing on a 6+. I have no doubt people who play on ipads, or who have better eyesight or reflexes than me have no problem playing, but it's like you are saying get big, get glasses or stay in the low leagues. Is this the message you want to send? If i had Act 3 zoom, i'm confident i could get much higher.

3. Osterus

Osterus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Ah you play on phone? Unfortunate.

Really cannot wait for some May updates... looks like some rebalancing issues which would be nice! Really would like other ships to be better... cuz right now this game ppl just play 1 or2 ships outta 60 lol.

Also weekly missions!! hype!!

4. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #944 Emuser, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Hello all,

We have control of the Phoenix 2 subreddit now thanks to alphacranberry submitting a request to requestreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Phoenix_2

Edit: got told about how revives work

You can't try to cheat the system and close the app and reopen it to preserve revives, once you use them they are gone immediately afterward. Normally invaders destroyed count is updated at the end of each play, but reviving and then closing the app while still in mission will take your revive with no update to invader destroyed count.

Also, in terms of balancing issues, if changes were to be made it would be better to make changes to weaker ships/abilities so that they can be in closer competition to what we see traditionally on the leaderboards. I think more variety would be good across the board without needing to necessarily nerf what we know is strong currently.

5. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the community :) The evolving scope and scale during a mission is a big part of the game. The zooming is hardly done (if at all) in shmups so it takes some time getting used to. Regardless of zoom level, you will always always experience the 'zoomed in' view as easier to play, because it is, it is not just eye-sight.

As you get more comfortable with the game you will also be less tied to having your finger exactly below the ship. The zooming does change the positioning of your finger in relation to the ship, a necessary evil I'm afraid.

We will improve the skipping of the revive dialogue in a future update.

The energy you have when reviving is not related to the kit you were using, but the actual amount of energy you had at the end of the wave you completed.

We are working towards a balance where more varied ships are viable, this will be a big update and definitely not in May.

6. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    Yes you can test it easily with barrier.

Die with huge barrier shield at beginning of say, act 5 and revive.

Repeat with small barrier shield.

:)

Excited about the balancing updates! Really hope some of the lesser used ships get some decent buffs to their second ability!

7. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Oh I see, that makes more sense concerning revives.

8. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    so why not just add a option for zoom levels in options menu or something, for people with phones the zooming out does get pretty crazy small compared to a ipad user.

9. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    The new weapons are out and...

Holy shit! They're amazing! They're insanely fun to play against while spammed unlike the ring firework things. Those things are getting annoying lol. Anyways love the new weapons!

10. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Can confirm, was not ready for laser ball on new wave :confused:

I'm in SSS right now and it's definitely a laser fight tonight. Get them barriers out. :cool:

11. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    I bet 95% of playerbase uses Razor VI lol.

No other tier 2 second skill matches Barrier... due to how OP lasers are...

You can't use ANY OTHER defensive skill vs lasers.

In conclusion, any ship without laser in a lot of laser beam fights are instant trash.

Razor VI is a SSS+++ ship in laser matches and every other ship is demoted to F tier LOL

12. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Yea it was tons of Razors last night but top 4 was:

Krillou, Jn'dur, Razor, Dragonfly(me)

I was only off a couple of seconds to get 2nd place but I couldn't do it in time before the mission was over.

13. BulletHellion

BulletHellion Active Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Bullet Emp tho

Lolz barrier is the only solution once the lasers are firing but better that they don't at all ya?

Cinnri and Photurius are good too lol

I think the new laser balls are really easy because they don't move at all. Don't really need barrier.

14. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    Good luck dodging 1million bullets and lasers at SSS league LOL!!

photurius LOLLLLLLLLL

trash ship

15. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Quit over exaggerating everything, Photurius is far from trash. It has the same abilities as Cinnri after all, stun + 2 mega lasers is pretty damn good.

Honestly the missions that have laser traps have been much easier overall since there aren't the usual run killers present at the same time (bullet ball clusters, boomerangs). I feel more confident about using whatever ship here unlike other normal missions.

16. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    #956 Osterus, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    I am actually having a lot of fun with Juggernaut.

But you are right photorius isn't that bad a ship!

Juggernaut has the aurora effect... ships around it blow up! I tried my first Mega Bomb at level 5 today and doesn't seem that great compared to mega laser...

But it's getting real boring playing Razor Vi/Aurora every mission so....

And exarch gives me a super headache.... it is like a rave party............ lol.

I really wish Interesting looking ships like XANIEA had much more interesting abilities. Saw it on the leader board today and although Photon Pods is super interesting and eye catching Laser storm??? really? and another teleport ship zzZzZzZzzZzZzzZzzz

Kinda same feeling with Hime. SUPER interesting looking ship and mega rare but has really lamea abilities chrono field zzZzzz lame. Soemtimes I wish I could replace some skins... I would replace the Hime skin with the Juggernaut skin LOL. The Hime skin looks super awesome but the ship is super trash haha!

Really wish there was something else besides Mega Laser/Mega Bomb.

Anyone tried out Kappa Drive?

I have a ship or 2 with it but keep forgetting to upgrade it LOL.. although part of me probably says it's too risky and not ready for another disappointment......

17. Lockyn

Lockyn Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Oh yeah, Juggernaut is pretty op. Seems to be one of the developer's favorite ship also. However, the splash effect is weaker than Aurora's.

18. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    Did they increase the cost of the level 5 upgrade?

I upgraded attack to the last level and it costs 750 bucks now?

I don't remember the cost of the last upgrade being this high!

19. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Nope.

I enjoy the Juggernaut a lot. I like the Mega Bomb 'chain' gameplay and the overall tank-like feeling of the ship :)

We are putting the final touches on the 2.4 update. It will contain the new Corsair a new world (yes yes) and a the welcome tweak to speed up the revive countdown by tapping on the screen :)

20. Lockyn

Lockyn Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Is corsair the only new ship? I'm still fine with that if it is