Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Osterus

Osterus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    I am simply amazed by how transparent and in-touch some developers are with the community <3

What an amazing game and even more so.. an amazing dev who provides fans with constant updates. Great job!

Going to throw some coins today to show some support:)

2. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    Few Questions:
    1) Did everybody buy their Aurora?
    2) Are the free ships weighted? (I guess it must be seeing I've just gotten my 6th Ogon and 3rd Tar'cah and have only 10 ships...)
    3) Is it even possible to get Aurora or Cinnri from the 12 hour free ships?

3. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    #843 Selachii, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    @Osterus: Thank you for your kind words. I wear this thread, along with the original Phoenix and Phoenix HD threads, as badges of honor, <3 you guys!

With regards to your questions:
    1) Most did, but some got it from the Warp Gate (luckers!)
    2) The three triangles on the ship selection screen indicate rarity. No, this is not explained at all, we will improve this in the future. The rarity indicates the likelihood a ship will arrive through the Warp Gate.
    3) Yes, but to provide context, three triangles is considered "super rare".

You mean these mystery ships? :)

Attached Files:

4. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    Ah.. super rare! That makes sense :p:p

Now that I know that I won't feel that bad after getting my duped Ogun's lol... these are common it seems! Thought game was bugged at one point or the game was just against me :mad:

I also thought 3 triangles mean't "S tier" hehe. Didn't think it could mean rarity. Cool. :D

5. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    No problem, we "simply" need to improve it.

Version 2.2 is rolling out worldwide as we speak.

6. Lockyn

Lockyn Member

Mar 18, 2017
    #846 Lockyn, Mar 30, 2017
    I got my Aurora through Warp Gate. By the way, I saved up enough credits to buy Exarch and Orion! I felt like I should've bought Sonah instead of Orion but whatever

7. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    Is there a way to sort ships by rarity or by alphabetical order?

I can't find any of the 3 ships you mentioned :(

8. Lockyn

Lockyn Member

Mar 18, 2017
    You probably need to update your Phoenix. You might not live in the US, so the update might not be rolling out for your country. The new ships are always at the bottom, just in case if you updated.

9. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    #849 Osterus, Mar 30, 2017
    THE UPDATE IS OUT!

I just checked :eek:

Wow are Njorun and Boxer new too? Seems like 5 ships are out?? Maybe I am just blind haha

Sonha's attack looks crazy good and fun.. not sure i ever played Reflex EMP though, might want to try that out soon! Looks great. i really wanna give Njorun and Sonah a run!

10. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    I'm new here, coming over form a recommendation from Hawk Freedom Squadron. I have a few questions.

I'm about to spend $5 to buy credits, because I want to buy a top notch ship and all its upgrades. Which ship should I buy?

Is there a Touch Arcade "Community" for Phoenix II? How much difference does it make to be part of a "large" community?

Is there a wiki for this game, or a subreddit? If not, there should be!

11. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Check page 80 of this thread, there's a detailed post by Emuser with ship tiers and explanations, it's a good and informative post.

12. Styrixa

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    tl;dr Would you spend more on a ship and less on updates, or less on the ship and more on updates?

Using Emuser's rankings, we see three cost basis. Are the 3,000 credit ships better than the 500 credit ships? Below are those top 5 ships (not including the most recent update), arranged by purchase cost/rarity. If you were just starting out, and had purchased 5,000 credits from the store, would you buy Razor VI and max it's upgrades, or would you buy Cinnri with fewer upgrades? Or something else?

Aurora Best mix of offense and defense
    Cinnri Powerful and easy to use

EX04239 The dominant offense oriented ship
    Photurius Insanely powerful spread shot, good lockdown

Razor VI Best balance of burst damage and barrier defense

13. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Personally I'd buy the Razor and max it, and then grind credits with it. If you're a new player, you'll earn a lot of credits fast from leveling up (100 credits per level). You should also join a community and try to complete the community mission for more credits (toucharcade community is fine).

14. Styrixa

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    #854 Styrixa, Mar 30, 2017
    Is it better to be way down in the rankings of a larger community, like "toucharcade" or at the top of the rankings of a community of just your friends? Some friends and I are thinking of starting our own community, but it would only have a dozen or so players. Is there any kind of penalty for switching communities?

I also just got Razor VI through a gate! Woot!

15. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Welcome and congrats with getting the ship from the Warp Gate that you wanted to unlock, lucky :)

There are no rewards tied to community size or your relative position on a community leaderboard. Though we intend to expand community features we want to keep this concept the same to prevent people from joining one giant community or having to look for communities with either bad or good players in it. That said, we would like to add some kind of competition between communities at some point :p

It is not possible to hop from one community to another continuously, there is a 48hour cooldown in place to prevent this. Communities are free to use the way you want, join a giant group like 'toucharcade' or start a small one just with your friends to have your own 'private' leaderboard. Each community has its own uniquely generated mission that refreshes every 3 days and contains 6 Acts. The community mission does not use the League system.

16. Lockyn

Lockyn Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Umm. So I just got 1st place in the most recent daily mission, and when I opened up the leaderboards, Phoenix crashed. I refreshed Phoenix and opened the leaderboards again, but it crashed again. Anyone else experiencing this? This doesn't happen when I view the community leaderboards, though.

17. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Not familiar with that issue unfortunately,

I will say the only outstanding issue with my list on page 80 is saying Barret is worse than Hunter, Barret is way better than I gave it credit for and plan on fixing that in a bit.

Also, holy christ balls Exarch is amazing. Definitely my favorite ship now.

18. Osterus

Feb 12, 2011
    What are everyone's thoughts on the new ships?

I just bought Aurora and instantly regret it... I hate the playstyle.

I am thinking of saving up for Exarch or Sonah. They both look too interesting and fit with my playstyle.

19. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Agreed!

Some Japanese players have started a wiki, but alas, it is in Japanese. I agree it would be cool if there was a subreddit or wiki. If anyone undertakes this, please let me know so I can hang around and support it.

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Maxed out Sonah and loving it. It's weird how it locks on though, so sometimes a medium sized ship can keep contributing to the bullet waves instead of just getting rid of it quick and not having to deal with its bullets.