Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. PROXYMAR

PROXYMAR Active Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Saw some astonishing Razor scores. However I couldn't figure out how to use this ship to kill things in quick session. It does not have auto aim like cinnri. Confused

2. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    So now post mega laser nerf what are your favourite ships? I use the cinnri a lot because it's easy, but it's not as much fun as other ships.

3. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

Still rocking the Razor VI. The mega laser nerf wasn't big enough to change the tier list IMO.

4. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Not sure why I didn't post it on my other comment but

The shaking I find very annoying which ruins the experience for me is every time your weapon hits a ship, everything shakes.

On an iPhone everything is so small and the shakes make me screw up my timing while going through tiny gaps.

Not sure if anyone here plays on an iPhone 6/iphone6s/iphone7, but if they do, they'll probably agree the shaking makes the experience not very enjoyable.

Tried the game on my brothers iPad and the shaking is fine on it because the screen is big and you have huge gaps between bullets to slide through.

iPad users I envy you >.> my ipad 4 doesn't support the game (rip)

5. PROXYMAR

PROXYMAR Active Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Shaking is cool and necessary but I noticed a thing: the more damage your weapon does to an enemy, the more the screen shakes, so for example (it is based on experience) Razor's main laser makes the screen shake a bit too much compared to Fujin. We all know Razor's main laser is stronger than Fujin's so... Screen shakes Need to be toned down but Not removed.

6. guitarpug

guitarpug New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Looking at the leaderboards for Daily Challenge #353, how is it possible to finish with a time of 33.52 with Cinnri and 35.77 with Aurora??? Both done by the same person. I know for a fact that it's an impossible time for an Aurora as it takes at least 2 secs to clear a screen of enemies which adds up to a minimum time of 40secs (5 x 4 waves x 2 secs) to clear the challenge. And that's not even taking into account that the larger enemies require several shots to take down and the Aurora's rate of fire is slow.

7. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #687 Emuser, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Please share a snapshot of this?

EDIT: Never mind I have a snapshot

Ok this is complete lunacy, there is absolutely no way this is possible. The same name may show twice due to two different accounts.

Attached Files:

8. PROXYMAR

PROXYMAR Active Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Very interesting scores. Saw this type of scores plenty of times.

9. Mrbestapps

Dec 9, 2015
    Yep reducing it would be great.

10. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    I second the reduced screen shake, it looks cool but dying because of a cosmetic effect feels pretty cheesy.

11. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    You're welcome :)

With regards to the screen-shaking, it is set by hand for each weapon, so it might feel different between ships. We think the screen-shakes are very cool and part of the explosive nature of the game. We try to find a balance between visceral and immersive, but not over the top. All your feedback is noted and as some of you may have noticed, some updates in the past lists specific adjustments for screen-shakes. It's an ongoing process.

Weapon balancing is an ongoing process. We are quick to fix what is actually broken, but we want to avoid knee-jerk reactions when it comes to balancing. The Mega Laser is enjoying its time in the sun, but it will receive several adjustments in the near future. The Missile Swarm will receive some love and we are looking at slight other tweaks as well.

Welcome back and thanks for the input. We'll be looking into this for sure, that doesn't sound right.

With regards to the players cheating, we're on it. They might appear for a while but their scores will be removed. Badges will be awarded accordingly.

12. Mrbestapps

Dec 9, 2015
    What would be nice is for the shaking to only happen after destroying a ship. Currently it doesn't make much sense how the screen is shaking when your weapon hits an enemy ship, Unless it's a nuke or something, that shouldn't happen. Shockwaves from ships dying makes sense because of shockwaves.

13. PROXYMAR

PROXYMAR Active Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Medium-Large to Mega to Super Mega ships make the screen shake too much. Others are fine. I think the minor screen shake when hitting an enemy with your main gun is acceptable.

14. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Are there any plans to buff some ships that are otherwise obselete? For example the CZAR is fun and has potential but will never see a place on the leaderboard due to its low dps. Making these bottom tier ships viable would give the game much more variety, as currently despite having 40 ships many of them simply aren't effective so choice feels quite limited.

15. LanfearTV

LanfearTV New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Can we please just have a checkbox in the options for the screen shaking? This will satisfy both parties. I don't know if you're keeping a tally but I find the screen shaking very annoying and vote to remove it completely.

16. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

Having a checkbox for it doesn't really solve the problem, since it makes it so anyone who plays with themselves is making the game harder for not enough benefit.

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    No because the game is then easier for you and not me. The best way is for them to listen to feedback and adjust the effects based in that. I personally love the screen shake. I just think it is a bit much sometimes. So they need to lower it a bit.

Billy

18. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Here here,

If the TRUE goal is to make every ship on an even playing field then that's what they should do. We ALL can list ships that absolutely suck and I've listed multiple over and over and nothing is ever addressed. Let's look at the one I mention most often. The most signature fighter if the game. The Phoenix. It has 1 offensive weapon. That weapon system is so weak that you will never see top tier players using it. You cannot get good times with it and it's just not that fun to play. The main guns need a damage boost. I keep saying it. But it's not been done. I'd love to be able to use the Phoenix regularly but I don't.

Billy

19. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I don't expect all ships to be reasonably balanced at this point, as said previously Phoenix is pretty weak despite it being the poster ship. There will inevitably be at least a few stinkers regardless of any balancing efforts. The last update made balance worse if anything however, as Mega Laser is the only choice to place high in leaderboards.

Before the big 2.0 update there were days when there were at least some variations among the top placing ships' kits. Now however it is 100% mega laser.

20. PROXYMAR

PROXYMAR Active Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Mega bomb should be a bit stronger and cancel out some bullets too. Personal shield feels really useless so it could be changed to some other new weapon. Just my opinion.