Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Best tier 2 ship? Thanks guys:)

2. Zync

Zync Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Hey guys! It's been awhile since my last post. Still playing the game on the daily for some quick clears. Noticed that there's no more sub one minute clear anymore on the community ranking "toucharcade" and "One", did those players found to be using an exploit and got banned? or was just using an older game version?

Anyway do we have an eta for when v2.0 be release?

Till then happy shooting everyone! :)

3. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

As always, follow Emuser's tier list:

The community mission changes every 3 days and the leaderboard is cleared with it. Most missions are NOT capable of sub 1 minute potential with current understanding.

4. Mrbestapps

Dec 9, 2015
    Why is Aurora so low? I thought it was one of the best

Thank you btw!

5. dika27

dika27 Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Economy staff, hotelier
    Jakarta
    Look who is above me? Just different seconds

Attached Files:

6. Mrbestapps

Dec 9, 2015
    Devs, do you have any plans on adding back replaykit support for older devices? It ran perfectly smooth but it didn't record the music (only the sound effects)

Would be awesome if it was added back.

Btw I bought some credits and got that ship everyone uses. Got 5-1 first try!

7. Patashu

The ranking system is partially based on speed, so if Aurora can't get sub 2 times that probably cuts points off its score.

8. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #568 Emuser, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Well it isn't so much that Aurora is "low", it's just that there are times it falters when there are too many bigger enemies as opposed to huge swarms of small and mid sized enemies that can be annihilated in one shot. I still personally rank it higher than a lot of other ships, but because it's main weapon has a slow rate of fire and it has no other offensive option to use either, sometimes it leads to time issues taking out one stray target.

Krillou, Prime X, Havoc, Geist, Atlas are all above it for example due to their ability to earn faster clear times more consistently, I never see these 4 ships used very often though because there's something else that outclasses them

Krillou < Photurius
    Prime X < Trireme
    Havoc < Fujin
    Atlas < Geist (very slightly)

If you really like Aurora you should still use it, in fact there are other things I realized like I've been ranking Von Braun WAY too low. This thing is legit crazy if the early waves don't have tons of small enemies. I need to do an update later on, I'm going to wait a while until I hit 5K enemies destroyed with everything before I think about doing that though. Off the top of my head, what's wrong with my current list:

*Von Braun needs to be WAY higher. I'm sorry I ever doubted this thing.
    *Jn'dur needs to be lower and Kada Veni slightly higher, Jn'dur suffers in the last wave while Kada Veni suffers more in the earlier waves due to it's funky weapon.
    *Arietis needs to be higher because Mega Laser + Point Defense while the laser is firing is actually not too shabby. Mega Laser alone ensures it couldn't be in a lowest tier.

9. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The difference in difficulty is the main reason the clear times can fluctuate so much.

We are well underway with our big 2.0 update and we are aiming for a release next month. I'll see if I can show you guys some new stuff soon.

It would be awesome indeed. When the performance is improved we'll definitely look into it again. If you want to capture gameplay right now you can always use Quicktime on a Mac. Simply connect your iPhone via USB and record :)

10. Mrbestapps

Dec 9, 2015
    #570 Mrbestapps, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    "When the Performance is improved"

Does that mean there will be different graphics settings meaning older devices will support the game? And maybe some love for android ?:)

And I unfortunately don't have a mac. Is there any way with a windows pc?

11. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    No, when ReplayKit performance is improved, from Apple's side.

Phoenix 2 was designed to be an amazing looking game for the next 5 years. It requires all of the state of the art graphics features iOS has to offer and will support all new features that are to come. Our custom engine is optimised for this. Supporting old hardware is always a compromise.

We have no plans for Android.

I don't think it's possible using QuickTime, but I don't know if there are any other ways. We used to do it via an hdmi-out <-> hdmi-capture solution before the QuickTime option existed. It's still possible but requires specific hardware accessories.

12. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #572 Emuser, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Since it has been a long time since a post, I figured that I would shake things up again, with what I consider definitive until there are updates/nerfs/buffs in the future. Some of it will look the same as a month and a half ago, while others will change. A side by side for comparison:

Old:
    Tier List 10/08/2016
    S+: Trireme, Buhloo, Proxymar
    S: EXO4239, Razor VI, Fujin, Photurius, Cinnri
    A: Krillou, Prime X, Havoc, Geist, Atlas, Aurora, Juggernaut, Veil, Tempest, Xaniea, Mist Star
    B: Essin, Elyon, Jn'dur, Ogon, Wrackr, Heechi, Yoth-Hola, Tar'cah, Sakura, Vuxine, Von Braun, Phoenix, NC-150, Kada Veni
    C: Arietis, Shinova, Czar, Jericho, Oran, Tillat'or, Gorthaur

vs New:
    S+: Top dominance
    S: Just under dominance
    A: Could be considered good but have a flaw holding it back
    B: Capable but weaker than the stronger ships
    C: Too flawed to be considered good
    D: Outclassed

5K destroys All Ships Tiers 11/23/2016
    S+: Proxymar, Trireme, Buhloo
    S: EXO4239, Cinnri, Razor VI, Fujin, Photurius
    A: Prime X, Havoc, Geist, Krillou, Von Braun, Aurora, Atlas, Xaniea, Tempest, Veil
    B: Juggernaut, Arietis, Essin, Elyon, Ogon, Mist Star, Kada Veni, Yoth-Hola, Heechi, Vuxine, Wrackr
    C: Sakura, Jn'dur, Phoenix, NC-150
    D: Tar'cah, Jericho, Shinova, Oran, Czar, Tillat'or, Gorthaur

Reasonings:
    +Cinnri climbs after realizing just how powerful it is in tandem with it's kit. I always underestimated this ship until I went for 5K. Placed higher than Photurius based purely on main weapon utility. Photurius is capable of getting a better time but less consistently.
    +Geist over Atlas, Geist has better burst damage because of it's main weapon.
    +Von Braun massively up after realizing how much I underestimated it. Tricky to use at times but definitely a winner in missions crammed with size 2 and 3 enemies.
    -Atlas under Aurora for being outclassed by Geist slightly, Atlas is the weakest Missile Swarm user but that alone still makes it a decent ship.
    -Juggernaut down for having a less destructive kit than Von Braun and Aurora. Still usable.
    +Arietis moves up quite a lot, despite having a weak shot, being able to use Point Defense while using Mega Laser is a gimmicky setup that can outdo plenty of other weaker ships.
    -Mist Star down again, but has the strongest main weapon of ships that only have a homing main weapon that can do damage.
    -Jn'dur way down because it's kit suffers greatly in later waves. On the contrary:
    +Kada Veni isn't SO bad...just a bit problematic at times is all.
    -Sakura slightly down due to challenging main weapon
    -Wrackr down due to no strengths that set it apart, still has Mega Bomb however.
    -Tar'cah down after realizing Vuxine basically outclasses it.

Other shifts were less drastic, but I spaced out letter grades a bit more, D is basically ships that would do nothing but hold someone back trying to go for any sort of time to beat due to a more powerful alternative with a similar kit available.

13. PROXYMAR

PROXYMAR Active Member

Nov 23, 2016
    #573 PROXYMAR, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    ?

Edited because no one cares

14. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    #574 Selachii, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Great list again Emuser, a joy to read the reasonings as well. It's a good "final" take before 2.0 lands :) I'm not saying every ship will be different, but the balance of the abilities will definitely shift around.

We do care, but I have no clue who it was that was at the top, do you have a name? I think only that person can tell you how he got the fast time on the toucharcade community leaderboard.
    Sometimes a bit of luck can help as well, if all ships move to the same spot it's generally easier to destroy them fast than when they fly off to the sides.
    Don't edit/remove your post so quickly, give people time to respond to your question. (for those checking now, PROXYMAR asked how the #1 on the community leaderboard got such a fast time)

15. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #575 Emuser, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    If I remember correctly, at the time of the Proxymar post, there was a Japan player at #1 in the community with Proxymar.

Proxymar has the ability to beat every single other ship in time clearing with its two powerhouse offense abilities, but actually doing so is an entirely different matter. Assuming all stats are maxed out of course, this is incredibly difficult to do without getting hit. The strategy is to build up energy in act 1, then using missile swarm to kill the current wave, all while not moving to charge mega bomb to clear the next wave, trying to repeat this strat as fast as possible. Proxymar's main weapon is of average damage alone, so breaking the rhythm with the abilities will cut into the clear time. Hard to do but if it can be done it should shoot to the top of the leaderboard for the mission.

EDIT: Buhloo is now the 2nd ship after Proxymar to join the under 1 minute club. GJ Zync.

16. Patashu

Wait, you can use your secondary ability while keeping your zen ability charged? Is there a video of this?

(It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to see what the input looks like.)

17. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #577 Emuser, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Well it isn't that, it's actually using the secondary then letting go to charge zen while close enough to collect energy. After dropping mega bomb, you will have hopefully been close enough to gather enough energy for the next missile swarm.

EDIT: As of right now, it appears the same Japanese player is #1 on community mission # 42 at this time for reference if anyone wanted to see his name and could read/translate it.

18. PROXYMAR

PROXYMAR Active Member

Nov 23, 2016
    It seems that the #1 at present is using a Chinese name. His score is shocking, at least for me. It took me 2:17 to finish while he only spent like 56 seconds... wow.

19. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    There is another name "One Community" with a 55 second clear now. To be honest I'm starting to scratch my head on this one, since I can't get any faster than 50 seconds going into Wave 5.

I'm starting to believe that there is something with the ship's main weapon being stronger when not fully upgraded or something? I know that I'm not leaving any enemies alive for very long until wave 4 where I'm taking a few seconds to clear the big ships but I'm not even close...

20. Mrbestapps

Dec 9, 2015
    I've never beaten a level and I feel so noob. Got a max trieme and the best I've gotten is 19/20. Any tips? I play on the iPhone 6 btw (my iPad doesn't support the game:()