Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The species that fly the Tillat'or live in a particularly dangerous environment in a far corner of the galaxy and are low in number, making their ships more rare.

nope

yep

Rare ships are not necessarily better.

Grazing does indeed give energy, it is not communicated in any tutorial because it is such a 'hardcore' feature. In the next update there will be a subtle visual effect to indicate a successful graze, which will help you keep a safe-but-graze-worthy distance.

2. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Cool, I do find myself dying a little more in early waves now XD. I just found it really sad I didn't know this until last night even though I've got clears with ten different ships done.

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    If a ship is more rare one would expect it to be better somehow. That's how I always saw it. Especially when we are talking such expensive credits. I've become a whale in this game. It's money well spent because I can't tell you how many hours I've played and it helps me deal with my pain issues. But still until this moment I always thought if it was more rare it would be better somehow. I unlocked several fighters for 3000 credits just to see what they were about and I think it took an additional 5000 to upgrade them.

This probably should be put somewhere in the game so people know.

That's awesome there will be a grazing effect. I can't wait for that. That's an awesome idea.

Billy

4. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    So,

I finally finished upgrading and started using the Sakura today.

It's definitely one of the more odd fighters. You have to quickly coordinate your fire since it takes time for the swords to form. I do like the effects though. I wish it had a better 2nd slot. I don't think it's worth 3000 credits if you were to unlock it. I'd wait for it in the warp gate for sure.

Billy

5. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Haha, yeah the Sakura is quite a challenge to play 'efficiently'. I don't think it will ever be a contender for a fastest mission completion time ;)

It is a good example of a rare ship. It looks cool and is rather difficult to play with because of its main weapon.

We wanted there to be some form of progress in the rarity of the ships, so rank 1 ships are generally good for beginning players, while higher rarities might not be. We had a list of guidelines that determines if a ship should be considered to be more rare. We judged each ship individually to see if any of these rules applied to warrant a higher rarity:
    * It's main weapon requires a bit more skill to use (Sakura, Havoc, Aurora etc)
    * It's main weapon is very desirable. (Trireme, Aurora etc)
    * It has a difficult Aura / Zen Mode combination
    * It has a desirable Aura / Zen Mode combination
    * It has teleport (we generally did not want beginner/rank 1 ships to have teleport)
    * The ship looks cool (to us :) )

Just to make sure the rarities are not 'random' either, I hope this clarifies it a bit further.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My take on this is that each ship is a collectible. Not necessarily strong, but a necessary addition to complete a collection.

7. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks for the clarification and explanation. I guess it makes sense. I just always saw it the way I described. I appreciate all the time you take to talk to us on here. I really do.

In another note I was messing around randomly picking ships today.

I had it fully upgraded but only played it to review it. The Cinnri. I REALLY like this fighter now. I learned a nice trick. When I got to a heavy ship I'd activate the stun EMP and then quickly charge and use the Mega Laser. It's so damn effective. The main weapons definitely do more damage than the Yoth which has been my favorite auto targeting fighter. What a great fighter though. It might be placed in my all time favorites list.

Billy

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #488 LordShad0wz, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    For anyone who has gotten the Prime X and plans to upgrade it. Once you've fully upgraded the main weapon it goes from constantly firing to briefly pausing and firing. The up side is it really hits hard. It's a very effective weapon and ship overall. The weapon looks similar to the Tillat'or's Vulcan but is much more deadly even with the pauses.

I WISH the devs would make the Tillat'or's gun a bit more powerful since it is its only offensive system. :looks at Selachii: hehe
    Billy

9. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The iOS 10 update is rolling out. It is packed with fixes and features, here are the complete notes:
    A lot of stuff got in there while we continue to work on other big features like ranked leaderboards, new ships and new abilities. The new world I mentioned last week didn't make it in, it needs slightly more polish. I'll post a screenshot this week to give you an impression what it will look like. We'll do another update for it soon.

10. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I LOVE the update! lOVE it!

I absolutely love how you changed the auras. Making it less busy near the fighter is fantastic and helpful.

I love the new Essin paint job.

I cannot check out the preview system since I have every ship. Someone else will need to review that functionality.

I have an iPhone 6 so I won't be able to live stream which sucks but I will be getting an IPhone 7 when it's available. So in a few months.

I love the new grazing effects.

What a great update! I look forward to new ships and the new world.

Billy

11. deathcorelover

Jun 16, 2016
    iPhone 5s and up.
    Well it's great to have an iPhone 5, isn't it?
    Hehehe #

12. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Preview is a quick clip demonstrating the ship's main weapon. It's only the main weapon though, no second or third slots.

13. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Here's a preview of the new world you'll be visiting. Still work in progress, but almost done.

Attached Files:

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Huwaw... Cant wait. The new background hue looks fantastic.

15. skullcruncher

skullcruncher Member

May 7, 2014
    Best ship in game?

Hey just wanted to ask what is the overall consensus on the best ships in the game? I recently got the Xaniea and gotta say it's awesome. Just wanna know what ship you guys would recommend I put my hard earned credits towards.

16. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

Emuser's tier list is accurate afaik:

17. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #497 LordShad0wz, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    It depends on your play style.

Are you aggressive? Are you more defensive? Do you like auto lock on weapons or direct hit weapons? What 2nd and 3rd slots do you like?

While there are fan favorites sometimes it can come down to your subjective play style. For instance my favorite is the Juggernaut. I also really love the Yoth.

The ship you stated you like has nice spread guns but they are on the weaker side. If you really like spread guns another ship that I like is the Geist. The main spread guns are pretty powerful and hard hitting and it's 2nd slot is the missile swarm which I think is better than the laser storm and the 3rd slot is a personal shield. So you have the option to duck during tight spots. There is another spread gun ship but I'll wait to see what you say before going further.

Billy

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Funny, Kada Veni is by far my fav ship. Small and just fun to play since you don't need to aim and can purely concentrate on your ship. In combination with its shield, my fav.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My favorite is still Mist Star. I love those missile trails!

That said, my daily scores are usually sealed by Trireme which isnt a surprise.

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #500 LordShad0wz, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    I love the Mist Star as well! The funny thing is everyone swoons over the Trireme but for some reason I absolutely suck with that ship. I get my best scores with other ships. Lol

Another favorite of mine that goes with the Mist Star is the Jericho. I love using it. The Jericho reminds me of a ship from the original Phoenix HD that was my favorite and it's actually a great fighter. I love using it. I love the missile trails and sound effects too.

I wish the devs would listen and beef up the cannons on the Phoenix. I would love to use that all the time but it just doesn't have what it needs. If the cannons hit a bit harder it would be so much better. Hell the game is named after it!!

Billy