Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. nuno2k

nuno2k Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    portugal
    Everyday I just open the game to collect a new ship. And I never play it.
    Am I normal?

2. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

Every Day a new ship?

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Since the update where they changed the odds of the draw I've gotten the Wrackr 16 times lol

Billy

4. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #464 Emuser, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    So, I spent some time with everything, this is a very rough draft since there are 40 ships in total, more time could be spent to further flesh out why things are placed where, and things are prone to change later on, but I decided to make a draft of approximate rankings for the ships:

The following list is an approximate measurement of a ship's overall potential finishing time on a mission plus relative strength. Different missions will call for different ships at times, but on a general scale, there are some that shine more than others. While some ships are great for survival, they may not do very well in a time attack setting.

S+: Trieme, Proxymar, Buhloo
    S: Mist Star, Razor VI, Fujin, EXO4239, Ogon, Photurius, Havoc
    A: Geist, Krillou, Oran, Elyon, Prime X, Atlas, Aurora, Veil, Jn'dur, Wrackr, Juggernaut, Tempest, Cinnri
    B: Gorthaur, Sakura, Heechi, Essin, Yoth-Hola, Jericho, Phoenix, Tar'cah, Shinova, Xaniea, Vuxine, Von Braun
    C: NC-150, Tillat'or, Czar, Kada Veni, Arietis

I have a brief analysis on each ship written out, but it would take up so much space I was inclined to not post it right now. I know LordShadowz has had interest in seeing some opinions from me, so hopefully this will kick off some discussion since I am only one person in a roster of 40. I'm not treating this list as law, other than the top trio and Arietis being one of the weakest ships.

5. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    The Mega Laser does charge faster with each level. It goes from 2.3s to 1.9s.

We did not change the odds at any time.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    From what i have unlocked and upgraded, i agree with this list.

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #467 GiHubb, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    My main problem with the game is that the first 3 waves are just a waste of time: they are too easy and when you die, repeating them feels like a chore and not really fun. It only starts being interesting on wave 4.

8. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

This.

9. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #469 LordShad0wz, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Then why was I getting new ships and then the update hit and wrackr wrackr wrackr. Others also noticed it in this thread after the update. If you didn't change the odds then somethings off. I guess it doesn't matter anymore really because atleast we get compensation from the duplicates atleast. I finally got a $150 ship yesterday. I was happy. I still haven't gotten a $300 ship.

Any idea when we will be seeing more ships and that third level? I can't wait! I've almost fully upgraded everything. It's close!

Btw I've almost finished the Jn'dur. I have to say after Patashu's awesome advice I REALLY like this fighter. It gives a whole new take on using the barrier. Which usually I hate. Plus that main spread gun is just kick ass at full upgrade. I finished the last upgrade today and it's fantastic. I really do love this game!

As a dev I know you play a lot. So tell us what fighters YOU like or what is the teams favorite?

Billy

10. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Wow we differ on a lot of ship classes hehe. I'll post my list tomorrow. I guess it comes down to play style. For instance I prefer the Oran over the Ogon. There's a few others too. I have to roll out so I'll type mine tomorrow.

Billy

11. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Not for me. Sometimes I get hit by that ahole stray bullet I didn't see lol. Then I get pissed at myself and restart.

Billy

12. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    The rough list I made isn't trying to be indicative of the ships I like, for example I really like NC-150 but it is weak at the cost of 2 defensive abilities that may lead to some easy clears. Having a ton of tun with Tempest currently. When it comes to Ogon and Oran, imo Oran is decent but simply outclassed. There's nothing really wrong with Oran, I just feel the ship is a little bit outclassed by a few other important ships. Ogon does have laser storm and good weapons with minor tracking issues at times, but has no defensive ability to protect itself with on later waves. I am curious to see what you will post as well.

For the record, I did get quite a number of Razor VI dupes the past few days, but I have all the ships so it's a moot point for me.

13. Phoenixcat

Phoenixcat New Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Anybody else think today's daily mission is a bit easy?

14. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Yea, I happened to get my Tempest clear within a couple tries. It's bound to happen sometimes I guess, you win some you lose some.

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I was comparing the Oran and the Ogon. They are very similar but imo The Oran's Meson beams track faster and is more effective than having the Ogons laser storm. Compared to other fighters I agree. There's so many fighters I wish had a personal shield lol.

Billy

16. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Heh, that was only the second time I've beat a mission all the way through. Oy.

17. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Plenty 'others' got the same ship in a row before the update. Nothing changed, really :)

Right, about the next update. We plan to have an update some time next week to coincide with the expected release of iOS 10 (based on public rumors and the way Apple planned iOS releases in the past)

Among the new features will be live-streaming, so it will be possible for all you top players out there to show people how it's done... live. I can't wait to try this myself!

There will be several other features, tweaks and fixes. I am always hesitant to publish details before the update is actually finished because a lot can change at the last moment. Ship previews will be in, so it will be possible to see how a ship shoots before unlocking it. (Though I understand LordShad0wz unlocked almost all of them? So you can also just ask him :p).

I am working with the artist to finish the third world where battles need to be fought, so doing my best to get it in the next update, but no promises. New ships will not yet arrive this update.

With regards to the difficulty at the beginning of the stage, we are working on a really cool solution for this. We are still prototyping it, so I am going to keep it a bit mysterious for now, but we're looking to solve this with the implementation of the ranking system.

Favorite ships of the team? There are a lot of cool ships contesting for 'favorite', but I asked around and the current fav's of the three of us are: Aurora, Jin'dur and mine is the Fujin at the moment. I must say though that this shifts around a bit, but you all know how that is!

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #478 LordShad0wz, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    I have every ship unlocked. I meant I have every ship almost fully upgraded hehehe

And that's awesome. Thank you for the insight about the upcoming updates. Will the live streaming work on the IPhone 6? I have the IPhone 6. I'd love to do that. It sounds amazing.

I really am liking the Jin'dur myself. I really love its main spread gun. The Fujin though I just wish it had a personal shield instead of the mega laser. If it had that it would be one of my favorites.

I wish we could pay to be able to customize that third slot on our fighters. Have you guys considered that? I'd probably use the personal shield on everything lol

Billy

19. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Selachii,

What makes the Tillat'or a 2 arrow ship? The main Gatling gun isn't very powerful and it is the only offensive part of the fighter. The 2nd slot is a barrier and the 3rd is a kappa drive.

The Atlas, which has a comparable type of weapon, is a much better ship and has multiple attacks and defense. It is also a 2 arrow ship.

Billy

20. Emuser

Emuser Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2016
    #480 Emuser, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Quick correction LordShad0wz, the 3rd ability is Teleport.

I will say that some ships, such as Tillat'or which I previously ranked as one of the weakest ships, feel weak if a 1500 or 3000 cost ship is intended to be better than 500 cost ships. I'm also curious about this if it is an oversight or following an example that just because something is rare that does not mean it is definitely going to be good.

It is a fun game for me to play regardless of balance issues, but I was curious if the intention is supposed to be a trend of more expensive ships being slightly better or if it was sort of random and some ships got unlucky.

EDIT: Also, I just learned that grazing bullets gives you a little energy for your abilities. Anyone else notice this yet? I'm surprised I didn't know until now.