Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

I've heard of dodonpachi, but sorry didn't played none of them.

But i appreciate Phoenix HD :)

2. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    oh and I would also second a possibility to earn/get somehow ingamecurrency through more playing or watching ads or so.
    Also like the advice to give the user an amount of money (e.g. c500 spacedollar) if he gets a ship in the daily lottery which he already owns.

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #403 LordShad0wz, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Ok,

So for those interested I've unlocked and fully upgraded the following:

Gorthaur- this fighter I actually kinda like. I'd say it's worth the 1500 to unlock. The main weapon is a bunch of thin lasers that fire forward like a spread gun. Fully upgraded the damage is OK but it does have a fast firing rate. There is no AOE since it's a spread gun. The 2nd weapon is a barrier. I've never really liked the barrier system. I wish they would change it. Once activated all the bullets and ships in the barrier still hit you so it actually is less useful when it's so large. The third weapon is a personal shield. Now that is useful. Overall it's a decent fighter. Not one of my top favorites but it's not terrible.

Photorius- I like this one! I really do. I fully upgraded it right off. It is definitely worth the 1500 credits to unlock! The main gun is a heavy damaging plasma spread gun with thick shots and a very decent firing rate. It hits pretty hard! There is no AOE because it's a spread gun. But the main gun does nice damage. The speed of the shots remind me of the juggernauts main guns firing speed. The 2nd weapon is a stun EMP and I like this especially for the bigger boss ships. The third is a mega laser. This ship might be added to my favorites after I use it some more.

I really wish the third weapons charge time could be decreased a little. It takes so long to charge I end up rarely using the mega bombs and lasers.

Has anyone used the Krillou? What is it's main weapon like?

Billy

4. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #404 LordShad0wz, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Firi,

Can you add a 3 second count down for when you Unpause the game?

Billy

5. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

Two things:

1) I noticed that if you swap missions then start, you get enough time to charge up a mega bomb or mega laser, whereas if you restart you don't. Since this saves 1-3 seconds, maybe your ship's mega bomb or mega laser should start fully charged so you don't have to keep swapping back and forth when going for a total YOLO run?

2) Daily Mission #223's 5-4 is INCREDIBLY fun! It forces you to move through all these tight gaps in bullet walls, and it feels pretty fair and fun. Too bad 5-3 before it is sooooooo ass to get through, I've only gotten to 5-4 once, lol. Curious as to how other people feel about Daily Mission #223.

6. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Here's how I did on #233 today. As you can see at the end, I'm too lazy to weave between all those shots and stuff on 5-4. :p

https://youtu.be/l2TgbsHfTfw

[​IMG]

7. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Just freaken awesome!

Billy

8. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

Liquidmark: Boooo, cheating ;) Good play!

9. Sikuzo

Sikuzo Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Tried something different and maxed out the laser storm ability on the Xaniea ship, compared to the missile swarm it isn't that good though since I need to stay in range for the lasers to actually do damage.

The one thing I don't like with the Xaniea ship is that the green glow it does covers up the blue dot making it incredibly hard to see when the screen shrinks and is full of red dots.

10. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Firi,

I've been trying to play using the Fujin since I spent so much on it. I wish you could please change the third slot to a personal shield. The fighter already has a very powerful beam weapon. It has the laser storm. The mega laser rarely gets used. If it had a personal shield I think it would round it out with a nice defensive component.

Billy

11. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Lol it was a tough one.

Thanks!

12. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #412 LordShad0wz, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    I'm really liking the Essin. It's such a powerful fighter once you get used to using it. It's main guns are extremely effective. If anyone wants a well balanced fighter with good offense and has a defensive component this is such a great choice! I spent the last two hours using it and it's been really fun! It was well worth the credits to unlock and fully upgrade it. If the Fujin had the shield like the Essin it would be amazing. I'll say it again too. The Phoenix only has one weapon and even at full strength it's not very good. I wish the damage could be bumped up a little. The game is named after it! I want it to be awesome! Just for Nostalgia reasons when I first spent money it was the first fighter I unlocked and upgraded.

I also started upgrading the Shinova. I have to say it's a good fighter. I never paid attention to it thinking that's what they started you with. Right off I had won the Jericho from the warp gate and really liked it so I concentrated on that. Now that I've upgraded the Shinova a bit the main guns actually hit pretty hard. I was surprised. It's actually fun to use!

I hope we hear soon about the third level and all that. I can't wait. I can't wait to see what new fighter ideas they come up with. I hope they also listen to some feedback. I wish the community level didn't have such a long timer. I think it's too long. It should cycle every 24 hours like the daily. Keep it fresh! Despite my disagreement on the games economy and other aspects I just love this game. It truely is a bullet hell game and I love the artwork and the games style. It's just so addictive. I can play and play and play. I rarely ever break my budget rules on a game and I definitely broke it on this one. I want to unlock everything. I want to see how everything plays. That's why I'm so passionate about things.

Has anyone used the Heechi or has a video of it in action? Is the main weapon a seeker type? How is it overall?

Billy

13. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Here's a vid of my heechi in action.

https://youtu.be/DnGJ9Xo95rE

It's not fully upgraded in the first, second or third slot, but I hate both barrier and kappa drive. I missed yesterday's daily because I was playing titanfall 2 alpha. BTW, if anyone plays on Xbone or 360, My XBL is Liquidmark. I have Ikaruga if anyone wants to play some bullet hell shooters co op

14. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Oh wow it's like having the missile strike! I might unlock it. Screw it. I absolutely agree about the barrier. I think they shield tweak it to wipe out any bullets already inside the barrier, then it would actually be effective. As it is you have to move to an edge and use it because the more energy you have enemy ships just fly past it.

Thank you for the video! Since your so good with the missile swarm ships I'd think you'd be all over this ship lol

Billy

15. BlueTieCasual

BlueTieCasual Member

Jan 4, 2016
    It's awesome!

Just wanted to drop my regards! I may not play a lot of shoot 'em ups, though even as a beginner there's something thrilling. At first I thought having to play through the previous waves every time I died was a irksome, but I eventually came around. There's just something about build up...that feels pretty great.

I've never gotten past wave 14, but I've joined the toucharcade community anyhow, looking forward to playing more!

16. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #416 LordShad0wz, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Ok

I spent about 8,000 credits unlocking and fully upgrading the Heechi. Here are my thoughts on it.

The main guns are pretty cool but they don't have the punch of some other fighters. I'd say the Yoth has better main seekers. I really hate the barrier system. I wish they would switch it out with a stun or bullet EMP. I like the Kappa drive but since the barrier system isn't as effective as other systems it adds nothing really to the fighter. Your only offense is the main seekers.

Overall I'd rate this fighter as OK to sub par. I would say it's not worth the 3000 to unlock and to wait for it in the warp gate. Mainly because of the secondary choices. While the main weapon mimics a missile swarm it doesn't have the same damage. It's not even close in damage. The Yoths seekers take out things faster. If they were to change out the barrier to a better choice it would definitely make it a better, more fun and effective to use, fighter.

Has anyone used the Oran? Or have a video? What is its main weapon like? Or how about the Tillat'or? I'm wondering if it's Vulcan is similar to the Prime X.

Billy

17. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    The Warp Gate comes through! I just got the Krillou!

I actually like this one! The photon bombs really do some decent damage. I'm going to upgrade it a bit and see how it goes. The fire rate is decent too and it appears it might have a slight AOE.

A new community level is up!

Billy

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #418 LordShad0wz, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    I unlocked and fully upgraded the Oran. I REALLY like this one! It has 6 fast firing, fast auto targeting, lasers similar in look to the Ogon. They hit pretty hard and lock on to targets much faster than the Ogon. The 2nd slot is the stun EMP which is really useful and the 3rd is the kappa drive.

It's a lot of fun using this fighter. Offensively it's pretty powerful. Those Meson lasers are no joke. Especially fully upgraded. The speed at which they auto target is fantastic! I love the visual effects of the beams hitting 4 enemies at once. I'd say it's worth the 3000 credits to unlock although it may not be one of my all time top favorite fighters it's a great fighter. It will definitely be in my rotation.

Billy

19. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    LordShad0wz, your documentation efforts are commendable. At some point you should gather all your ship mini-reviews and put them on a page or wiki or in a document. It's a shame you don't like the Barrier, it is actually my favorite defensive ability. I usually save it for really dense waves or lasers which it very effectively blocks. Another good situation is when the enemies shoot a lot of mirv balls, I usually time my barrier to block as many of the bombs as possible, preferably before detonation to put less drain on the barrier.

A new update is coming your way and oooooh boy, I hope you guys are not too attached to the overpowered Missile Swarm ;) The daily mission should definitely be more challenging for you full offensive players out there. It's hard to predict, but I expect that the 'masters of the swarm' players here will still beat the daily stage with it like almost nothing happened. On the other hand, average players might find the ability less powerful but more understandable in its usage.

Full update notes:

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    You know what's funny Selachii, since I've been using the ships with the barrier I realized something about the barrier I hadn't before. As humans we get stuck in patterns. Last night I was using the Heechi after the new community mission started. I think it was on wave 4 one of those huge ships and a few smaller ones popped up. Now I had full power to the barrier. I I was about to get plastered and hit the screen as a Hail Mary to activate the barrier. My finger slide down. The barrier ended up partially around the big ship. My fighter ended up below the bottom part of the barrier. It was blocking everything. I hadn't even THOUGHT of using the barrier in this way before. Usually I try to activate it and stay inside. So on the next game and every subsequent game this is how I've played and it's so much better. I'll active the barrier and quickly drop below the bottom edge of the barrier.

With the kappa drive I can quickly summon a second barrier for those sections with the big ships.

Billy