Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Firi,

Why's the purpose of player levels? I really don't understand how this helps the player. I find it's actually hurting me. I'm at the point where I'm no longer leveling up everyday. So I'm not even making the measly 200 credits a day from that.

The economy needs to be reworked. Sooner rather than later. I keep saying it and getting no response. It's frustrating. I've spent my fair share to show my support. I just got my Apple Bill for $32 hehe. I'm happy to spend my money on the game for the amount of hours of enjoyment I've received but there's got to be some reworking of the non existent economy in this game. The warp gate is also way too slanted to you not getting a new ship. This changed after that update. Normally devs give a 40% to 45% chance with these types of things but when I get the same exact ship 4 times in a row, the wrackr, and I have less than half the ships unlocked, there's no way you have it at 40% chance.

Please I'm begging. Let us make credits while we play. Put some permanent purchases in the store. What you can do is make it so only those who've made a purchase can earn credits while playing. That's fair. I know you'll get people who will try to never pay a dime for your hard work. But you could do it that way.

Billy

2. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Has anyone played using the Oran? Opinions? What's the main weapon like?

Billy

3. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
  4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... Today's another relatively easier one. I finished with all 3 of my maxed out ships Ogon, Mist Star and Juggernaut. Unsurprisingly the more offensive oriented Ogon did it significantly faster than the 2. Both MS and Juggy i finished over 3 minutes, while Ogon's at a little above 2:20.

5. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    #365 Liquidmark, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    I almost completed it with an un-upgraded gorthaur.

I still think it would be great if a campaign mode was added somehow.

6. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #366 LordShad0wz, Aug 17, 2016
    So,

I unlocked and fully upgraded the Fujin. The ship is comparable but definitely sub par to the Buhloo. Their main weapons are extremely similar even in color. But I would choose the Buhloo hands down. The Buhloos weapon fully upgraded is better. I don't think the Fujin is worth the 3000 to unlock. I feel I wasted the credits to be honest. Wait for it to appear with the warp gate. If you have the Buhloo already you have the better deal!

I fully upgraded the Essin. I have to say this fighter is now one of my favorites. The fully upgraded main weapon is a fast firing semi lock on twin pulse cannons. When I say semi because the pulses will slightly gravitate towards an enemy if they are near them. They really pack a punch! The visual and sound effects are great too. What really makes this fighter even better is its balanced. It also has laser moons as a secondary and a personal shield as third. So you got awesome offense and some defense. This fighter is definitively worth the 1500 credits to unlock and the credits to fully upgrade. I don't feel I wasted money here. It's a fun fighter that's got great offense and defense.

So my favorites are:

Yoth-Hola
    Jericho
    Mist Star
    Juggernaut
    Essin

I also really like the Trireme I just really really suck with the teleport thing lol I also like the Aurora because that main weapons AOE is amazing but again the teleport thing kills me!

I do have all of those fully upgraded. I have others fully upgraded also but they aren't on my favorite list. I still have a bunch locked.

What's sad is the Phoenix isn't on that list. I bought it and fully upgraded it for nostalgia reasons. But it's cannons just don't have enough knock out power. The devs really need to bump them up. Their signature named fighter should be really decent!

What is everyone's favorites?

7. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

Still a shameless Proxymar main here. The Trireme is probably good too but I haven't quite maxed it out yet, I'll try it again once it is in a day or two.

8. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I haven't got a new ship since a week ago. I check twice a day. I only have about 7.
    I stick with the one I use because it has a shield

9. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Uninstalled.

Phoenix HD is so much better.

10. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Why uninstall? They are different games. I don't disagree with you. I've said I wish they would bring elements from Phoenix HD into II. But this game is fun.

What ships have you tried?

Billy

11. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Firi,

Along with all of the previous issues id love responses to, would it be possible to make the Von Brauns Daisy cutter slightly better at locking on? It misses way too much for being such an expensive ship. For instance I had the ship at the bottom of the screen and there were 3 of the small enemy fighters that move around. It missed and missed. I sat there and it kept firing and just missing. It simply misses too much.

Would you guys please increase its lock on just a little bit?

Billy

12. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    @LordShad0wz: I try to answer all the questions as complete as possible if I can. I thought most of your questions had previously been answered, but I'll recap my thoughts.

The Daisy Cutter is a powerful slow-firing weapon and all weapons of this type share the same down side. When it misses you lose a lot of dps. That is the trade off for having such a powerful AOE weapon. (like the Aurora, Juggernaut etc).

Ship rarity does not equal power. Ship rarity is determined by several factors so a super rare 3-triangle ship is not necessarily "better" than a common 1-triangle ship.

Ship rarity does determine how likely it is the ship will arrive through the Warp Gate.

We closely monitor the amount of credits that can be earned and we are really happy with the current progression people are achieving. That said we are adding a reward for duplicate ships from the Warp Gate as well as a third mission. We also plan to do something with the credit rewards when the Leagues arrive. We do not plan to add a credit reward for starting a mission and blowing up without beating any new waves.

I'm also a fan of the Essin and its weapons, but I dislike the texture on the hull of the ship so I might tweak that, agreed?

13. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

First two ships.

I don't find it fun, seriously. Everything that HD have makes it really fun for 1 or 2 runs in a Day.

This imho hasn't nothing of The appeal of The first Game. Ok, they are totally different, but do i need a Game like This? Imho no.

Do i need to keep playing The first one? Definitely yes.

14. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I honestly did not like the first game. I love this game so much I even went back and reinstalled HD. Still don't like it. I play this one daily. This is my first bullet hell game that I am enjoying. Maybe the fact that it is more of a quick arcade experience I like it as I generally like those games better.

15. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I would also like to voice my thoughts on the iap's. I hate buying consumables. Could you offer the purchase of ships (upgraded 2.99) (base 1.99). The cost is the same-ish but it just would feel better.

16. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    You ever play Dodonpachi?

17. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    As to the daisy cutter. Ok.

As to the rarity. Then why are they 3,000 credits to unlock? What makes them so expensive? If something costs double or triple the amount of something else one would expect it to be better.

As to the economy, this is disappointing. Today I earned 263 credits. If you are closely monitoring then surely you are seeing people earn very little for playing the game while upgrades are expensive. I spent $35 now and I still have a ton of fighters not unlocked and half upgraded. At some point you need to compromise. I'm not alone. Read the reviews on the AppStore. To me you are saying we see a lot of people spending money. First you say you won't be adding a survival mode or bring any of the good things from HD into the game that we all loved and now this. I don't say this to offend. I'm a straight forward person. There needs to be a real economy in this game. Earning a few hundred credits a day doesn't cut it. I don't see how your metrics can show more than that no matter how good you are. There are only two missions and one of them isn't even 24 hours it's set to 70 hours. I haven't leveled since day before yesterday. So I haven't even gotten the credits from leveling.

I guess we will have to see what this third mission will be all about and how you do the rewards for the constant warp gate issuing the same fighter over and over. but this is really disappointing news. I was really hoping for some permanent purchases. Maybe in the future you guys will change your mind.

Billy

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    An original Apple computer sold for over $600k http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/25/working-apple-1-computer-sells-for-record-auction-price-of-671400/

Does that make it *better* than a brand new top of the line Mac?

I think the economy is fine. I agree with El that you shouldn't be rewarded for doing less than your best run. As for the upgrades and unlocks, this game is designed as a slow burn. It's built to be played for months and years. Say you got credits every time you played like you're asking for. If in a week you maxed out every ship, would you still be playing? In my experience the upgrades are a nice bonus but are in no way critical to performing well. It's exciting to see that I've earned enough to unlock a new ship or buy a new upgrade. It would be way less satisfying if I could just grind over and over, no matter how well I actually performed in each game, and just accumulated enough money to buy stuff. I mean, if you want to just grind and arbitrarily unlock stuff, there's only half a billion options for that on the App Store.

That's just my opinion, you may not agree. But it's annoying you keep demanding them to "fix" the economy when in reality it's not broken and is as they designed it. It'd be like if I just told you to "fix" the way you play the game ;)

19. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #379 LordShad0wz, Aug 17, 2016
    Yes. I would. Using your logic and the way the money is doled out right now forget about playing for a week. You play for a few minutes and then that's it. There's no point in playing until the levels refresh.

Half the fun of a game like this, which has already been reflected many times in this thread and the reviews, is updating your fleet. It's hard to do that earning so little money. I've played ships way more after I've fully upgraded them. They can add a mode for grinding if people wish to do that. Even if it's just a little bit. Something. Anything. Hopefully they will change their mind down the road.

The reason I kept asking was because it wasn't being answered. Please don't call me names. If you want to privately message me and call me names that's fine. But I don't call anyone annoying, or what they say is annoying, just because I might not like what they have to say. This is a discussion board after all. It's meant to discuss. If I didn't like this game or the devs I wouldn't bother.

Billy

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    No, that's okay. If something is annoying to me I'm going to say how it is annoying to me. Grow up. The game is not "broken" therefore it doesn't need to be "fixed" was my point. I'm sorry if you took that as a slight.

If this game is not built to your very exacting needs, maybe you should just play something else instead of repeatedly demanding they change the game to suit you?