Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #281 LordShad0wz, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Hell yeah!

Does anyone have a video of the Yoth in action? I'm itching for a new fighter to unlock. Or how about the Atlas? I'd love to see them in action. I wish there was a preview of each fighter or a YouTube video of each fighter in action. I've looked on YouTube and there aren't many videos.

Devs after the update the warp gate hasn't given me any new fighters. I've been getting constant repeats. And I have less than half the fighters unlocked. It needs to be adjusted. I got the same fighter, 3 gates in a row. The wrackr. That shouldn't happen.

I finished upgrading the Juggernaut and man I really love this fighter. The main weapon fully upgraded is kick ass. I do wish the mega bomb would charge faster. It charges too slow I end up not using it really. All of those charging weapons seem to take too long to charge. Especially as you get later in the mission. But the main gun of the juggernaut is just awesome!

Billy

2. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Billy no video but atlas is a beast it has a pretty strong primary shoots foward straight the secondary is a missle lock on aoe and removing finger will give you a temp shield. Those missles are uber strong and hits everything on the screen within the aoe circle usually killing just about everything in there path

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I love this game but I completely agree there should be more opportunities to earn currency. I feel like I reach my peak wave each day and its frustrating not gaining anything after that. Even just a couple coins each session would be a huge help to keep my motivation going.

Are there any plans to adjust that?

4. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

Curious as to what Firi Games' thoughts are on my Bullet Defense idea (instead of ranking clears by speed, rank them by how many enemy bullets ESCAPED the screen, the lower the better). It's an attempt to balance defensive and offensive ships, rather than making missile storm/occasionally laser storm the only viable choice.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think it's bad, considering you can go to the top side of the screen, set your device on a charger til it's almost the next reset. This with a 4 turret boss in which those turrets are uni directional spreadshots.

Oh yeah, and use the last minutes til reset to finish the game.

6. Patashu

I said 'the lower the better', so every bullet that escapes the screen makes your score rank worse.

Offensive ships will still do mostly the same thing - speedrun - but now your performance on later waves is more important and your performance on earlier waves is less important.

Defensive ships will try to absorb all bullets with extreme efficiency and use their mega bomb/mega laser (if applicable) to get through waves faster before their defensive abilities run out.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ah... That makes sense. That would take a huge amount of testing though, since we are now considering bullets deleted by Bullet EMP vs bullets deleted by Barrier vs bullets prevented by Stun EMP.

8. Patashu

Yes, it would obviously be hard to balance, but it would instantly be way more balanced than speed where by definition only Missile Storm/Laser Storm can win :)

9. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Completed today's mission. That boss at the end was challenging but with teleportation, he was easy to whittle down.

10. Zync

Zync Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Indeed, the way I approach the balancing issue with be to better incentivize using specific ship for daily/community missions.

eg. Rank with 'Mist Star' on daily mission gets you an extra credit, Rank with 'Geist' on community mission gets you an extra credit and/or warp ship.

Still any ship can be played with no extra bonus. This will also tempt players to access IAP to unlock the needed ship worthy of the reward given.

11. Patashu

I beat Daily Mission #223 with Proxymar. Proof: https://twitter.com/Patashu0/status/763645200300290049

The trick to the 5-4 boss is
    1) his bullet spam doesn't quite fill the screen - you can make sudden horizontal movements before it reaches the bottom or after it stops coming out of the top
    2) the lasers have slow rotation speed - misdirect them to one side, and before the time when they'll fire, dart to the other side of the screen

12. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    It is 'a solution' but I don't think it sounds like much 'fun'. The game was also not designed with this in mind so there is no balance in this regard between difficulty and turrets shooting bullets out of the screen. I personally rather spend the effort on balancing the current situation than do something completely different.

It is true that an offensive ship deals more damage, but it does not make it the easiest option to finish the stage with. Among you guys that are finishing every daily stage there are bound to be a couple of favorite ships, that's inevitable. We can make sure the options are varied and balanced.

That said, some ships are currently a bit 'too efficient', but we are being careful with balancing. The Missile Swarm is currently being looked into and will be reduced in strength in the near future!

I personally like ideas like a bonus to finish a stage with a certain ship, but we are not planning anything like this at the moment.

13. Patashu

Ok, thanks for the reply!

14. Blixamarkham

Blixamarkham New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    First post! This game has drawn me to TouchArcade when I saw the community feature and started googling! Pleased to meet all of you. Thank you Firi for this wonderful game. Already handed over $15 to you guys. Here's to hoping for more modes like Survival!

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Ok

I'm getting upset now. Firi you've got to update the game. The Warp Gate is not giving me any new ships since the last update. I've just gotten the Wrackr a 4th time. This is not cool at all. I don't even have half the fighters. The warp gate didn't do this before the update.

Billy

16. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I like the missile swarm the way it is. Why are you reducing it? I don't think it's overpowered. Usually on the ships it appears on there's no defensive measures. You need a strong offense.

Billy

17. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    #297 Liquidmark, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Man, you and your proximar are beating my time by about 20 seconds. It's a great ship, I need to level the one that I have. It's built for damage. I see that Buhloo's get crazy fast times as well. Laser swarm procs for a longer duration than missile swarm and seems to deal more damage overall if you survive.

Here's my proof for completion.

http://imgur.com/xv5N09g

My biggest issue in the game is with barrier. I'd rather have almost any other defensive ability than that. Also not a fan of kappa drive. One reason why I don't like heechi even though it has potential to be the strongest ship in the game (its main attack is like a free and continual missile swarm that spans the entire screen)

Barrier would be waaaaay better if it reflected enemy shots back at them. Kappa drive requires that I stop shooting and moving to get the orbs to come to me faster. No thanks

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    On the other hand, I LOVE KAPPA DRIVE. S'why my 2 of my favorite ships are Mist Star and Ogon. ;)

19. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #299 LordShad0wz, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    I tried the ogon and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll upgrade it and try it again. You and I seem to like the same ships. I've been playing the juggernaut a lot lately. I've really gotten into using it. But I generally use the mist star and the Jericho.

I do like the kappa drive. I love being all the way at the bottom of the screen and sucking up all the energy. It really helps.

What's everyone's LEAST favorite fighter? I would have to say the Havoc would be my choice out of the ones I've unlocked. The main gun seems useless. The time it takes to reload is so long and then it fires a few shots. I've tried to use it but I'm not successful with it at all. I didn't upgrade it.

Billy

20. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Well I guess kappa drive would be ok with a decent offensive secondary. Tho teleport is better for getting orbs and it helps me move away from enemy attacks.