Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    A campaign mode would be great. I really like this game. I'd like it better if it were more like Dodonpachi or something. But yeah, I remember Phoenix HD having a boss of sorts with a pattern.

Thanks man! I hope I can hold on to #1

2. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Yeah I really love bullet hell games when they have a pattern. So you'd need to continue playing the level perfectly and learn the tactics.

3. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Yeah, Tell me about it. The daily missions have an aspect of that as they have preset waves.

Anyhow, I already ran through today's mission. My time was a little over 2 minutes so I probably won't be able to hold on to #1 unless I redo it. Also I bought a prime X with my coins and was able to make it to 5-2 without any upgrades other than unlocking the teleport and adding 1 level to my missiles. It's a crazy ship.

4. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #244 LordShad0wz, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    You can't say you've played a bullet hell unless you've played a Cave game or Danmaku unlimited. However when I first got the iPhone coming from Android I found Phoenix HD and I really fell in love with that game. I immediately spent the $6 for the triple coin and all fighters deal and then made a purchase for coins. I absolutely loved the procedural generation. Every game being different and not learning the patterns is what set that game apart from everything else and it's still to this day a game I play regularly. Phoenix 2 is a great game as well but it's different. I do hope they add a mode with procedural generation to bring that Phoenix HD element into this game. That would be so ass kicking. I also really hope they adjust the IAP so there are permanent purchases and not just consumable. I'd like to earn credits while actually playing even if it's not much.

I hope Friri weighs in and tells us what they plan to do. I've asked but so far I haven't seen them say anything. Even just a general idea would be awesome.

I've now spent $20 on credits. Hehe. I'm a whale in this game now. Once you hit the $20 mark. I had to upgrade the Geist once I unlocked and started playing it. I upgraded the Juggernaut too.
    It's a fun game and worth the money to me.

Billy

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... I know it isnt the perfect game, but the fun im getting from it, plus the time i sank in it, this is clawing through to my GotY 2016 list.

6. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

Well, if you want fixed level designs in shmups, you have plenty of choices just for iOS alone, no one's forcing you to play only Phoenix 2 ;)

From Cave alone, you have Bug Princess (Mushihimesama), Bug Princess 2 (Mushihimesama Futari), Dodonpachi Blissful Death (DoJ), Dodonpachi Resurrection (DFK), Espgaluda 2, Dodonpachi Maximum (iffy), Bug Panic (not really a shmup), Bug Princess 2 Black Label, Deathsmiles.

From other developers, you have Darius Burst, Danmaku Unlimited 2 (and hopefully later this year 3!), 式神の城 (Shikigami no Shiro), Psyvariar Reassemble, Super Star Shooter Gaiden, Toritoma, Lightning Fighter 2.

For procedurally generated stuff instead of fixed levels you have rRootage Online, Phoenix 2, Phoenix HD, kind of Walpurgis Night (I'd compare this one more to Super Hexagon). I also love love LOVE Helix by Michael Brough, though it's more of an arena dodger encircle'em up than a shmup.

My Android list: http://patashu.tumblr.com/post/148442869130/android-shmupsrhythm-games-list

7. aphextwin007

aphextwin007 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I am wondering if this is gonna have Apple TV support! Phoenix on Apple TV is amazing...would love number 2 on there...

8. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Don't forget about Shogun and Fullblast. Those two are great ones as well!

9. Patashu

I didn't forget them. I don't like the way they control, but if you like them then great!

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Great list man! Have you had a chance to play .Decluster Zero yet? Coz that is one i would highly recommend as well :)

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mist Star
    Shinova
    Tar'cah
    Jericho
    Razor VI
    Wrackr
    Buhloo
    Elyon
    Kada Veni
    Gorthaur

Any of these stand out as something I should focus my upgrades on?

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Mist Star has been my favorite and my personal go-to. Im actually enjoying Ogon now, but it's not upgraded yet that investing time to play it isnt important yet.

13. Patashu

Nice find, I'll try it.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    No prob. I hope you find it enjoyable and challenging. It's more Danmaku style than an endless thing, but the patterns and variety of shot types is pretty spot on.

15. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    #255 Liquidmark, Aug 9, 2016
    I have Dodonpachi resurrection. It's fantastic!

16. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Buh logo is a good ship.

17. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #257 Delusionaltool, Aug 9, 2016
    OGON is a beast ship , you can focus on avoiding bullets as the lock on does the work for you but the super is amazing as you can keep it going as you release your finger it sucks in all the magical dust to keep the supers AOE maxed really awesome...The tempest is also another really good ship fully maxed out. My 2 maxed out ships are the OGON and the Tempest.

I have noticed that certain ships are better for other situations for that given challenge.

Also you cant judge a book by its cover, dont think of this game as a bullethell like a cave game with levels and power ups, this is another awesome Firi game. It is not like Phoenix HD with power ups and more randomness, It is a Bullethell wavebased runner i guess would be the best way to describe it as the money you earn go toward your upgrades and the challenges depending on how well you do net you cash at the end. Really give the game a chance before you shrug it off and say its bad, it took a few days to grab hold of me and wow has it, this game grows on you if you let it....

My main complaints are minor -

If you get a ship you already have you should be able to sell it for 500 credits or get a free upgrade something like that.

Firi you need add more music to the game right now only 1 music track, yes its good but its getting old and I end up listening to some good techno / trance when i play.

need more variety in the levels , like Phoenix hd add more cool backgrounds, maybe even add different music for that given background?

Earn money faster? something to earn money faster? destroying random ships drop coins or something...

Ok back to the grind, someday ill beat a level someday.

18. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Pretty late to the party (I finally upgraded my phone yesterday), but I just downloaded this, looking forward to playing a new bullet hell shooter. Anyways, which Touch Arcade community is everybody in?

19. Leppelsin

Leppelsin New Member

Aug 9, 2016
    There is a way to earn money faster. You can use two or more community groups simultaneously.
    1.5 day is enough to get in top-10 in one group and 1.5 day in another.

Also there is a glitch that every new download of the game creates additional profile.
    So you can create your own community and add any number of members to it.

20. Patashu

'toucharcade' (without ''s)