Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Finally got a rare from the gate, but it's the Heechi, barrier and kappa drive. Why even bother... Probably won't even take it out for a spin. Time to buy a ship I suppose. Still sort of torn between the EX04239 and the Prime X but I guess I'll just do some eeny meeny miny moe or whatever.

2. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    True, but that small delay also means deleting enemies in range. That still shaves more time than still having to shoot down stunned enemies.

4. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Does anyone use or like the Juggernaut? I see that one a LOT on the daily board in the top 10. I can't find any videos of it. I wish I could see it in action before I buy it.

Billy

5. Patashu

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    2 bullet shots, explodes on impact. Pretty strong, but you need to line up shots when against few smaller enemies. Takes out boss turrets easily.

Really good, i maxed it.

7. Catastrophology

Aug 5, 2016
    Melbourne
    #207 Catastrophology, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Aggressive Play Stlye

@Patashu: I finally beaten your high score. I really admire your ability to use a ship that has no teleport; I was practically teleporting all over the place to set up the missles to clear the stage as fast as possible!

I miss the days when we would just try our best to go to the next wave and not think about beating each other's time. I'm at the stage where I'm right next to the enemy's ship all the time to clear them out quickly and dodging the bullets is now second nature.

Here is a video of me trying for a speed run. I'm just not scared of the bullets anymore ;))
    https://twitter.com/catastrophology/status/761791742186172416

For the developers, I thought of some great ideas. What about a survival mode where you can't shoot or use any special abilities and just dodge the bullets? This will really sort out the best players based on just skills rather than who can spam missles the fastest (ahem...probably me); or, maybe a training mode where the enermy ships shoots bullets and you earn points while you practice your ability to dodge them.

As you can see, I really emphasis on working on your ability to dodge and squeeze through the tight gaps in the enemy's bullet, as you only have one life in this game, and you can't really afford to run into them and grab a health pack to heal you again (because you would have already died).

8. Patashu

#208 Patashu, Aug 6, 2016

After ~1 hour I got 1:28, after ~30 minutes more I got 1:26.58. Oooof. The 4-1 to 4-2 to 4-3 transitions are soooo brutal to do fast, getting a fast run is so inconsistent thanks to them.

https://twitter.com/Patashu0/status/761847922933702656 (screenshot proof)

EDIT: 1:22.07. The thing holding me back from sub 1:20 is that I have to take 4-2 and to a lesser extent 4-3 really slowly or they're inconsistent as hell.

https://twitter.com/Patashu0/status/761901642958594048 (screenshot proof)

9. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Why did you remove replaykit on the iPhone 6?

It recorded it perfectly without any lag. Only lag was when you started recording, the first couple of seconds weren't recorded. This sucks :(

10. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    #210 Liquidmark, Aug 6, 2016
    Proximar is a powerful ship because it can hit more than one target at the same time and the mega bomb combined with missile swarm

True, but I'd say that missile swarm is more like a more powerful laser satellite. It's more powerful with a shorter duration while laser satellites last longer but have a lower dps.

11. Catastrophology

Aug 5, 2016
    Melbourne
    Well done mate! I also tried for about an hour to beat you to the stage where I was on autopilot so I am happy to be in the top 10 (I still get an award for being in the top 0.1% of 1000 players).

A new update just came out which made our ships weaker. I believe it is only for the lasers and not the missiles so we can still spam those ;))

EDIT: also my lagged recording trick no longer works ;((

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    hahaha! That's no trick, twas an exploit :D

13. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    No-no, it was a feature :cool:

14. Patashu

If you can't make a video recording to create lag, I found that if you do speedrun attempts for at least 30 minutes straight, the game starts to slowdown during high intensity sections (it's more reliable than the slowdown from recording, so it's actually better for attempts).

I'm sure this will be patched too ;)

Now that the Proxymar's laser is nerfed a bit I am definitely not doing any more attempts on 'toucharcade' Community Mission #4 though, lol.

15. Catastrophology

Aug 5, 2016
    Melbourne
    Oh my gosh, you just made it to the top spot again! I am quite content with third place lol and will be waiting for the daily mission to earn some experience points to level up.

Can't wait for future updates to this game; I wonder what else is installed ;)

16. Catastrophology

Aug 5, 2016
    Melbourne
    I can see ourselves being great friends (because we think alike) :D

17. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Anyone know is the mega beam or bomb worth lvl up? Is the dmg justified in using your whole meter ?

18. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Devs,

So can you tell us what plans you have for the game? Will you be willing to change the economy so we earn credits while playing? Will you be adding other modes?

Billy

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The bomb is pretty good. The laser is okay. What meter? There is no meter. Some zen abilities use aura energy but the bomb and laser don't. They just have to be charged.

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I love the ships i have maxed out, and these arent top tier ships, and no missiles on any of them. I can finish each stage fine, but it means i cant compete scores with those mostly with missiles.

That said, there's really no reason for me to play the game after finishing the daily stage each day, and each community stage each rotation, other than to improve my score which doesnt even have a chance of taking the top spot with the ships i have.

I have suggestions to improve this.

How about leaderboards segregated by their first ability. The first abilities (laser, missiles, the EMPS, barriers) are very influential when it comes to completion times, which makes the current leaderboards pretty imbalanced.

Secondly, how about giving extra cash only when COMPLETING 20 WAVES? It could be as low as 10 gold for each completion, and capped at 100 gold for each daily stage. Technically just a chance for an additional 100 gold for each day's rotation. Also, how about making a type of feature like this an unlockable feature through a permanent IAP purchase?

These suggestions will encourage more playtime on the player side, which would translate to more aggressive unlocking of ships (separate leaderboards) which can potentially earn more revenue for Firi Games.

I love this game to bits despite the flaws i see in it, and Firi Games is one of my most respected devs, so im hoping the game gives more reason to wow users and earn money.