Universal Phoenix 2 (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 28, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #181 LordShad0wz, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Ok I actually have the Razor. I'll spread the 5,000 credits between both and let's see how it goes!

Thanks guys for the input. Devs. Keep reading!

Billy

2. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I just warp gated the Jericho ship. I actually like this one. I finally get a useful one! I paid the 100 credits to unlock the personal shield and tried it out. The inferno seekers are lock on rapid fire missiles and while they are more for long range sniping along with the bullet emp secondary weapon system it's got an excellent combination. Even with it not even upgraded I made it to the same spot I made it to with a fully upgraded Aurora.

Not too shabby. Also devs the Vulcan cannons on the Phoenix need a bump in power. They are just weak. I fully upgraded them and they are just blah. I have to say though the phoenixs secondary and third systems do mix well. I really like the shield. Just please up the damage of the Vulcans please?

Billy

3. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks! We intend to add GC Achievements, just like the original Phoenix they'll arrive with an update :)

It's in the 'pause' screen.

I saw a video of the Phoenix come by on Twitter though it is sped up.

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

That's great news!

Nice. I figured I missed the record option somewhere. Might as well make my own! :)

5. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

#185 Patashu, Aug 5, 2016
    Hey everyone, how's it going?

I started playing Phoenix 2 a few days ago because my left middle finger hurt whenever it touched anything, preventing my usual commuting game of choice (jubeat plus) from being fun. After some initial roughness (the Jericho was my first ship and is REALLY bad, Bullet Emp + Personal Shield gives you no way to clear screens OR to deal with simultaneous bullet + laser spam) this game has really scratched my shmup itch and I'm glad to be playing them again :D

My current ship of choice is the Proxymar. Missile Swarm is sooo strong, I almost have it upgraded to level 5, and Mega Bomb is just icing on the cake.

I think there are still some balance issues that need to be resolved. Offensive abilities are just outright better than defensive abilities for both survival AND scoring, since scoring is just how fast you can destroy everything. One idea I had is that the score for clearing runs could be changed to 'enemy bullets that left the screen'. This means that although an offensive ship clears fast (meaning less bullets are made) a defensive ship can mop up or prevent bullets and also optimize score. Of course, I expect there to be many tweaks to the strengths and weaknesses of ships in the future, as well as tweaks to the enemy generation system to produce a wider variety of novel patterns. (For example, I don't think there's an inherent reason why Phoenix 2 can't have fast bullets like Phoenix HD did.)

For your viewing pleasure, here are two clear videos. Enjoy! You can see me on the leaderboards as 'Patashu' so look out for me. Catch you all around!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHDjBW7UOBM Phoenix 2 [iOS/iPad] Daily Mission #216 CLEAR 2:34.73 as Proxymar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBDxIUTteuQ Phoenix 2 [iOS/iPad] "toucharcade" Community Mission #3 CLEAR 1:47.09 as Proxymar

EDIT: I would also like the leaderboards to be re-merged. I understand if there are technical reasons why you can't, though.

EDIT 2: About the problem of later waves being too zoomed out on iPhones, what if there was a menu setting to keep the zoom at wave 3 levels and instead pan the screen around to follow your ship?

EDIT 3: Wow, grazing DOES increase aura slightly! Interesting...

6. Catastrophology

Aug 5, 2016
    Melbourne
    #186 Catastrophology, Aug 5, 2016
    Hello!

I saw you on the high score today; you are amazing at this game and I really like how you use a rarity 1 ship to beat the whole world! That's a really strong ship.

I use to play Phoenix HD a couple of years ago and fell in love with it as I am a huge fan of those "aeroplane shooting games" and Phoenix II is simply just amazing (visually and gameplay). Like everyone here in the forum, I was disappointed and confused that they removed the health bar and the one hit KO made the game really hard, but I stuck to it after a few days and I really like the system: it got me coming back each day.

I am the stage now where I can dodge the bullets by weaving in and out of them. The trick is to let go of your finger off the screen and touch another part (of the screen) so you can see your ship and your fingers don't cover up the reactor. (I hope that make sense.)

Upgrading the ship does help too. If you really don't know where to invest your money, look at the leaderboard and looks for the ships that occupy the top 10 position and find that ship and purchase it - it usually means it's good!

As for beating the levels, I didn't have much issue with playing on my phone; in fact, sometimes it was easier because you can see the whole action from a distance, from your face. I mainly use an iPad Pro to play so you can definitely see the action a lot better. The trick I find is to look at the wave number and think in advance when to use your special attack. I use to randomly use the special attack whenever I felt like it which left me open to a barrage of bullets in the next wave, so now I use remember what wave number is the most difficult and save the special attack for that wave. You also want to keep practicing your dodging skills of the bullets too, as it can save your (one) life when you don't have an ability to clear the bullets (or teleport away).

My username is catastrophology and you can find me at number one on the daily leaderboard now (Sat, 5th August).

7. Catastrophology

Aug 5, 2016
    Melbourne
    #187 Catastrophology, Aug 5, 2016
    Tips and Tricks

For those players that are having problems with the game, you can try this method:

Pause the game and press the "record" button. For older devices (I got iPhone 6+), the framerate actually drops which slows down the game and makes it easier to see what is happening and can make dodging the bullets a lot easier. However, this does mean that your ship also slows down too but I find it very useful for Act 4 and above. You still have to be pretty good at dodging at very close proximity to the barrage of bullets though and the game randomly speeds up so if your not focusing, you can die during these speed up.

Good luck and keep practicing! :)

Background knowledge: made it to number one on today's daily mission and second spot in community (toucharcade).

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks for the video of the Phoenix! I can't wait for more updates and to see what you guys do with the game. I spent $15 to send my support. I just hope that you let us earn more credits while playing. I'd absolutely buy a credit doubler. I want to upgrade my fleet more!

Billy

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Anyone played the EX04239? I may be ready to give up on waiting for the warp gate and buy a ship with missile swarm, and that one looks interesting but I haven't really seen it on the leaderboard at all so I'm worried its primary weapon may be bad.

Same question about the Prime X as well actually. Would love to hear impressions on either. Or if you've seen videos anywhere, please let me know.

Or I suppose I could just stop trying to be unique and just get the Trireme...

10. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Believe it or not I bought the trireme and I suck with it lol. I don't like the 2nd and 3rd systems.

Billy

11. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    #191 Liquidmark, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    It's a pretty good ship. I have one, but it's not maxed out yet.

The meson projectors make short work of most enemies if you can line up the shot. I'm not a fan of the mega laser because I'm aggressive in my playstyle but the missile swarm is great. So far, I've only really been dissatisfied with the Sakura.

Also new around here. I messed up while making my name. It's supposed to be liquidmark but whatever... Long time fan and player of Phoenix HD.

The trireme is one of the most devastating ships availible to finish the mission quickly. Personally, I like the Czar more because of the stun emp, but this game only gives rank by speed of completion after you finish the mission. So that eliminates most ships that don't have missile swarm or some sort of attack that will clear out a screen of enemies quickly. Personally, I think enemy bullets should be absorbed after a wave and the number of bullets should add to your score. You should also get points for grazing, high risk maneuvers and not using your second or third weapons during a wave.

12. Patashu

I've seen it with a very fast time, so don't worry, it's a viable ship :)

---

Just beat 'toucharcade' Community Mission #4 in 1:33.78, #1 on the leaderboards. Someone beat me plz ;)

https://twitter.com/Patashu0/status/761701123832942592

---

Missile Swarm is OP, Mega Bomb is OP too~ I think any ship with Missile Swarm is strong enough to take #1 scores, after that it's just a matter of preference.

Yes - often these kinds of games don't make it explicit that you should play this way (you can cover it in the tutorial), but you want your finger to be somewhere other than the hitbox so you can SEE the hitbox.

Unfortunately, the daily leaderboards are split up into ~100 arbitrary chunks right now. So you're at #1 on the leaderboard, but so am I. :p

Things you can do:

1) join the 'toucharcade' community. That's one solid leaderboard and a lot of good players are in it so you have a lot of clears to compete with. EDIT: Oh, you're already there, cool! Beat my time ;)
    2) Post your clear times on twitter with the #phoenix2 hashtag and on here, we can compare times that way. (My time for Daily Mission #217 is 2:33.67. First clear, didn't try to to optimize.)

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I just unlocked the Trireme, and i gotta say it's pretty OP when upgraded. The no miss, insta-hit shots, the clear-the-screen missiles, and a teleport to top it off and get to safety and reposition for maximized missile effectiveness.

That said, i think i'll stick to Mist Star just to be different. It's an above average ship die to its nice homing, but pretty average in terms of damage/clear speed, but those missile speedlines/trails look fantastic which is why it's my current favorite ship.

By the way i just joined toucharcade.

14. Patashu

Oh yeah, before I forget -

To anyone who wants an Infinite or Endless mode in Phoenix 2. While you're waiting for one to be added, I recommend rRootage Online.

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/rrootage-online-hd/id387008120?mt=8

It's a port of rRootage http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html . It's a shmup that procedurally generates bosses with a huge variety of patterns. There are 'R' levels at 10 difficulty levels that, every time you play them, will give you a different challenge. Because the basic premises (hitbox sizes etc) and control scheme are the same between both games, playing one will make you better at BOTH games. I've had a lot of fun with this game, so I think you all may be interested as well!

(If you can't pay a dollar for whatever reason, there's a free version of rRootage Online that has ads instead: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/rrootage-online-hd-ad-supported/id378710287?mt=8 )

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm with you! I love the mist star as well. I have it fully upgraded. I also really love the fully upgraded Jericho!

I'm working on the Phoenix now for nostalgia reasons but I'm earning so little credits. I really really wish we could earn credits more by playing.

Billy

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Fixed that for ya. Welcome Liquidmark :)

17. Patashu

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Fantastic time man... Yeah Proxymar's all-out offensive loadout just clears things faster than anything, but that also means it doesnt have the defensive skills when you get in a tight spot.

One realization i have is that the Missile Ability is just a stronger version of the Stun EMP. It basically stops the enemies in range from shooting like Stun EMP, but deletes the enemy ships as well. :D

And Mega Bomb does cutdown on clear speed when you start the wave with half the enemies already taken out.

Again grats on the superb time!

19. Liquidmark

Liquidmark Active Member

Aug 5, 2016
    #199 Liquidmark, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Thanks!

Stun emp works instantly. The missile ability takes time to travel to the target so enemies can get a few shots off before you can kill them.

20. Catastrophology

Aug 5, 2016
    Melbourne