iPad Pharos IV: Assault

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LordCrom, Feb 24, 2009.

1. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

#1 LordCrom, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
    [app]Pharos IV: Assault[/app]
    [app]Pharos IV: Assault Lite[/app]

This game has a nice look to it. I like the description of the game. Thankfully there is a lite version. Plus the full version is only $1 if it turns out to be pretty decent.

[​IMG]

2. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    looks sweet, and 3d too!

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    This looks nice!
    I'm definitely trying the lite version.

4. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    #4 gus1, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    Just got it for 99cents. A very good deal. I like the great graphics and smooth gameplay. Controlled really nice. Played around with the first few levels. Very polished. I have only one question. How do I pause the game? It seems that the only way to get back to the main menu once you start is to die first. Overall, I think its one of the best space combat games out there so far.

5. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

Oh wow! Thanks for the edit to my initial post. That is way better. I am going to have to learn how to do that on my own.

6. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I saw this game two hours ago and wrote a little (german) review for it. So far, the graphics are perfect. This game shows, that real 3D space simulations should be no problem. However, I do not like the controls, especially the shooting buttons on the top edges and I wish the weapons would connect to a target for a short time and the lasers would follow this connection, because the accelerometor control used has no neutral position or "zero point". Other games offer a neutral point where the game does not move the cursor. Besides that, it's really great. Of course it does not offer a real storyline, like most of the iPhone games do not, but it's definitely a step into the right direction to a "real" 3D space shooter.

Privateer? Pleeeeeeease :)

7. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I gave the trial a go and I like it, twitchy flight controls but in a way I like that.

Combat seems to just be flying at the enemy and shooting though, am I missing something apart from using the boost or just flying about?

8. adin

adin Well-Known Member

Changing the sensitivity seemed to help with the twitchiness.

Is there a way to powerup/restore life? Or is damage "permanent"?

I agree that the fire controls could use enlargement, but the positioning in the corners help you find the fire button without looking for it.

Maybe a quick, one-time tutorial at the beginning of the game to help with all the ship controls?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of enemy AI, so no "dogfighting", just put your nose at the enemies, wait for range & fire.

9. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

#9 Oliver, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    After setting the sensitivity to a lower value it was better.

Does anyone know what the top left weapon does? It seems, that in the lite version only the top right button works. Or I'm just missing something ;).

10. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Looks cool, downloading the lite version now.

11. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Colony Wars anyone??? This looks to good for a dollar...makes me a bit worried about how it plays...

12. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    This is a great proof of concept, but the gameplay sucks.

If someone made a real space game like this where you go to different solar system and buy and trade stuff, go on missions and buy upgrades and new ships then I would buy it in an instant, regardless of price.

13. bootant

bootant Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Junior Designer, Senior Coder, CTO, CEO, Chairman
    interesting

14. clzander

clzander Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    #14 clzander, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    While I think it could use some improvements--it's still too "twitchy" for me on the lowest setting--I think it's a decent game and $1 well spent. Having only played for a short time, I haven't tried out the "refueling" aspect, but look forward to spending a bit more time with the game.

Edit: My "twitchy" comment above was based on playing the lite version. Having spent a bit more time with the full version, it seems a little more smooth, but still required the lowest setting for me.

15. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Look at those graphics....and it's only 99 cents? If something seems to good to be true, chances are it usually is.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member

I picked it up and it plays very well -- for what it is. There's little depth, no story line, one location. The graphics are nicely done (love the ship designs), though, and unlike other space dogfighting games, there's are real sense of movement in a 3 dimensions (if that makes sense).

Well-spent $.99...

17. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    This game is def worth the dollar. I used to play Colony Wars on PS with the dual flight stick (boy, do i miss that!) and the one thing that makes games like these lacking on the phone is the ability to roll - which really helps eluding foes or staying with the enemy.

But again, look at the price. I was jonesing for a wing commander type game (especially for X360 or PS3 - what's up with nothing in the genre?!) but i'll take this for the iPhone.

Lower the sensitivity and give it a shot. This is the best space dogfighter yet and i'd pay $3 easily. Not sure if the leaderboards are online or not. That would be nice.

18. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    I was waiting for somebody to link it to colony wars (best space shooter ever IMO) I was scared but now might have to try this bad boy out.

19. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    Don't be scared for the dollar. Haven't you tried the lite version yet anyway?

20. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Not yet;)