Pet Rock...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ccallstar, Jan 20, 2009.

1. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    this is not a game

... or even remotely interesting for that matter...

2. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    ummmm....

wow. that's all i can say...wow.

3. carolynn7

carolynn7 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Another great example of people that have WAY too much time on their hands....

4. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    This is what happens when any jackass can submit an app and have it approved. They need a new category in the app store: frivolous.

5. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    #6 jaisor, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    I am the "proud" developer of this piece!

Heya all!

I am one of the proud developers of that app. I can guarantee that its useless, that we took 2 hours to make it and that it took 3 months for apple to approve it :D The original submit to apple was Sept.19th

We still have promo codes for it so if you all are interested PM me, or better yet PM "InsolentDreams" who is my partner in crime and handles promo code nonsense.

For all who are pissed - after farts, boobs, flashlights - this has a perfect place on the store! Oh hey - you can use it as a flashlight too :)

PS. Seriously do not spend you money on this as its merely a proof of apple's low standards, I was personally hoping it would never got approved, yet again apple proved me wrong :)

PS#2 For joke's sake digg it up, be hilarious to see this surfing the iHype! Digg link: http://digg.com/apple/Pet_rock_comes_to_the_iphone

6. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    You mean to tell me that developers and customers are waiting for releases and updates to some of the most anticipated apps because you felt like developing and subbmiting something addmittedly and completly useless?

Thats terrible.

Talk about spam

7. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA

so out of spite of Apple's "low standards," you put that in the App store? at least with the original pet rock you had a physical object...

8. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    The worst part is that this guy'll make good money for only 2 hours of work >.>

9. funke75

funke75 Member

Jan 20, 2009
    who has time to work...
    SoCal Baby!
    ok this is just quite possible the most regoshdarndiculous "app" I've seen so far. It was a waste of money in the seventies and is still a waste of money now, but hey, if someone is dumb enough to buy this they deserve to loose there money.

10. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Finally somebody said it right! You all started to make me feel bad :(

And to the other comment about making good money for 2 hours of work, I promise to tell you if that happens but my experience on the app store predicts this app will sell twice, first time when I bought it and the second time when I told my mom to buy it - so no worries there, I am not quitting my job any time soon :)

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My god...this...I don't even...

...man, I wish I would've thought of this.

Think of it.

2 hours of minimal effort, and this could very well wind up selling well.

These guys might end up with a bit of a financial windfall.

For...for nothin', really.

That's it...I've gotta look into downloading the SDK and "learning" some objective c. Ya never know, and it's time to strike while the pot is hot.

The games, of course, need more high quality examples, and it seems to me that only good quality games have a chance of selling well. Whether one thinks one game selling low is higher quality than one selling high is open to debate, but the fact is that there's not a crap app that's really selling right now in the game department, otherwise DS Effects would be king of the platform :p.

But the "entertainment" area of the app store is wide friggin' open to the most idiotic crap out there that sells. There's a sucker born every minute, and it seems that most of them have quite a bit of disposable income. Why not get in on that market? It's a separate sub-market within the larger app market. I doubt the people in the market for a game on this platform will buy this no more than they bought iFart if they were looking to buy a game.

12. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1. And then there is the nerve to charge someone $0.99 for it too.

13. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    You guys still don't get it. Its not the time making, nor the quality of the game that matters. We have released several titles, SolarQuest, Solar Blaster, ZoneOut. ZoneOut was especially well polished, we spent endless hours chasing after memory leaks, we got crisp and catchy graphics and audio and the damn game remained invisible till this day. There is a LITE version that we published recently with most of the game in it for free so you can all judge for your selves.

My original point was that the quality of the game does not matter. Only thing that matters is King HYPE - what famous person or site writes about it, what starts the gigantic apple hype avalanche.

That type of hype made hundreds of thousands for farts, bouncing boobs, flashlights etc.

Respect to all who made those apps! I personally am planning on continuing my game making hobby, releasing free or cheap titles and if you guys like them - sweet, if not - no biggy

14. cnbigcan43

cnbigcan43 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Well...

Yeah, um... ok. A Pet Rock? Really? Let me know if you guys make some money off of that. I guess this is what we could expect from 2 hours of work. But hey, someone's bound to buy it.

15. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I actually just pm'ed your friend for a promo code! :D

Now I want this piece of ideological crap with all its 2 hours effort!
    Pet rock shall become my new PET!...rock.

like ur sense of humor, least thing you could do for those people who bought the app (you & ur mom) is update it so that the pet rock says funny things when you tap its eye or double tap or shake the iphone. DO IT!

ME WANTS FUNNY PET ROCK! LOLROCKS. (reference to lolcats):)

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I get what you're saying. I disagree with it, as you're, like too many others, comparing the entertainment apps with the games. Again, separate markets, just as the productivity apps are separate, just as the other types of apps are as well. Again, your immediate competition is other games, not apps as a whole. Apps as a whole are in indirect competition with you, same as, say, movies on DVD or for download on XBox 360 or Blu Ray movies on PS3 vs. the games on those respective platforms. Consumers in the market for games will not look toward movies unless they have either already found a game to buy or having found no game that strikes their interest have turned to other avenues for diversion.

As far as the games are concerned, the better selling ones are examples of good quality. That doesn't mean those games are higher quality games than others, but none of the games currently in the top 10, top 25, or top 50 are low quality crap like, say, the DS Effects games (as I mentioned earlier).

I'm sorry your previous efforts haven't made sufficient returns. But that has little to do with Apple passing crap apps in the entertainment section of the market and more to do with the competition between examples of good quality in the game section.

The irony is that this minimal effort (the pet rock app is minimal effort...I know about your efforts in your quality games as SolarQuest was a favorite of mine...I'm not suggesting those were minimal efforts) will probably end up being the one that makes the best returns. But, again, that says less about the game side of the market than it does the entertainment side of the market. The game side seems to reward quality mixed with a lot of luck. But the entertainment side of the market as a whole seems to reward stupid **** that is, at times, very poorly made. Stupid **** that's poorly made isn't rewarded in the game side of things. Good quality stuff is, but, unfortunately the competition in the market is such that some really good quality stuff (like SolarQuest) slips through the cracks. It's hard for your game to compete with EA, THQ, Sega, Gameloft and ngmoco or even Freeverse. And it's difficult to compete with indy devs who've somehow snuck through the cracks, sometimes through sheer blind luck but never because their games are crap. Otherwise, again, DS Effects would be king of the game market on the app store. ;)

17. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I understand the intent (though naming it "Social Statement App" would have been even more obvious ;)) however I do not believe that hype is the main factor in the App Store. Most customers don't do any research when making App Store purchases. A Touch Arcade thread summed it up best:

Timing seems to artificially boost sales - since it is in the hands of Apple, this is out of all developers' hands. Landing the right name for the app also seems to be key, though most apps will never have the perfect "instant purchase" name. Many trash games will become popular due to these two factors, but that popularity is shallow.

Don't feel discouraged from making good games, even if it seems your games aren't receiving the attention you feel they deserve. Positivity about your good games will earn user trust/respect. Negativity about other popular games doesn't come off as professional, and makes "Neon Surge" come off as bitter rather than an underdog (interested in making $$ rather than making a good game). Generate some of your own hype for your *good* games and you'll probably see a boost in sales.

18. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Heeeyyy! not a bad idea. Users can take photos of rocks or select from their photo lib, then I can have some interface where they can place the eyes, choose type of eye movement based on the accelerometer, pet rock mood (happy, sad, sarcastic) which will download from a server database of things to say.

People can upload their rock creations and rank others. Will take more than 2 hours to make but it might redeem the value of this app :) We'll see if I can pay rent this month and have some free time - I can work on it.

Anybody else thinks this is a good idea? Or are you still all on dis mode?

19. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Yes! great idea!!!! The eye idea on photos of the library woulb be AWSOME! I would start out with that and then if the app gets popular create the uploading rock creations. I would totally give U.S´s new president (hellz yeah) pet rock eyes! :D