Percentage Health (%) vs. Numbered Health (100/100)?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MochShot, Oct 18, 2014.

1. MochShot

MochShot Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Sales Rep
    Fergus
    Hey there,

Just wondered what everyone's preference would be for a health bar. I am making a RPG game for apple and android phones and Im trying to get as much feedback as possible.... even on the tiny things like this! See images below [blown-up in size to show hp bars better]!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We need all the feedback we can get. RPGs are one of the hardest games to get right, but we want to revive the good old gameboy days! :rolleyes:

http://www.rollplaygamesltd.com
    http://epocu.com/campaigns/azmara/
    https://www.facebook.com/rollplaygamesltd

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Numbered Health. If it's an RPG, percentages would really only make sense on attack chance.
    Otherwise, I like to see exactly what the enemy is doing damage wise to my charecter.

3. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Yep, I would prefer numbered health, too. :)

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I opt for more visuals (bars, pies, dots) and fewer literal numbers... but then, I'm not the average stats-complusive RPGer, so take that with salt!

5. MochShot

MochShot Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Sales Rep
    Fergus
    hp bar

Adam: we will have to go with numbered OR % hp bars due to the complexity of unique weapon/combo/boss/etc damage -- I would love to have a health bar like Zelda does with hearts (except ours would be azurite crystals!) but 'Saansilt' really makes sense of it -- we will need to show how much damage certain attacks can do; fights will be strategic (not just spamming a button!) so you will have to plan it out! :)

6. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Definitely numbered health.

7. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Like you have it in the second Screen, a health bar, with the number readout inside it.

8. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    +1, for RPGs, always a numbered health.

9. jaysraptors_to

jaysraptors_to Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I prefer numbered health but it would be better to have a toggle to switch between the two somewhere, for those who prefer percentage.

10. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    The problem with percentage health is that you can't see the advantage of the increases you get from levelling up so easily.

11. iFritoMaster

iFritoMaster Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Janitor
    Chicago, MURICA
    Numbered and a %? If not just numbered. Hehe.

12. MochShot

MochShot Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Sales Rep
    Fergus
    Zelda Style?

Yeah -- I am considering removing the number/ % displayed on the HP bar. I wouldn't want to copy Zelda but I do like their heart hp system -- I could change the hearts into azurite crystals (main element of our game)... that could also work. Just trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks!

Drew