Universal Penumbear - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I've collected all the golden bears, and as a reward...
    my head is on fire
    ! Okay, there's much more to it than that, but I think that's an awesome reward in any case.

2. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Eh, I disagree about adding bears to checkpoints. It seems like some levels were definitely designed with the concept in mind the way it is now. What I try to do is locate all bear locations as I make my way through exploring each level and only then try to complete it as a whole with every move planned out. I feel that it would cut down on the replay time/exploration, difficulty, and the special sense associated with saving bears. But if the majority still wants it changed and you aren't happy with the way it is, that's okay.

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    For me, it's becoming a major frustration when I've picked up a two or three bears, then die trying to get the last one, and having to start over, this time dying trying to get another bear, again and again.
    Especially since I've often gotten all the bears several times, just to die either trying to get to the exit or picking up a remaining firefly.
    So essentially, I've completed several levels with all the bears, but I don't get the credit because I've died and loses the "bear progress".
    That's just not fun for me, as the levels gets very, very hard later on.

On another note, what about if the developer changed the double tap to a walk command instead of running?
    I haven't encountered a single spot in the game as yet where I wanted to walk slow and carefully...

4. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Taken from "Freshair"

Do I have to find a different spot where I'm closer to the switch to activate it? Seems like that is the logical spot to activate that switch, as I've searched extensively for another.

I just don't want to continue to waste time if this is a glitch, but there's a very high chance that I look like an idiot for thinking so. I don't want the level solution spoiled, just let me know if I should keep looking for the way to get that third firefly.

5. tacograveyardllc

tacograveyardllc Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    That very odd, could be an iPhone glitch. You should be able to hit the switch from there. I'll look into that now. Thanks!

6. tacograveyardllc

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    Dude, I have to say, I am super impressed that you managed to do it already! Great job!! Wow.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Completely agree with this.

8. WooHooII

Aug 14, 2009
    Are all the levels possible in the secret mode? I've replayed the first two worlds so far, and I haven't been able to find a way to beat Boss, Blind, or All Good Dogs. The first two in particular have what seems to be an impossibly high jump near the beginning, with no way around it (as far as I can tell).

9. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #109 Matt33, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    Ok, appreciate you clearing that up for me. I guess I'll have to use a skip on that level for now. I'm playing on an ipod touch 5 with latest ios.

EDIT---

Ew, now I have a semi-draped level frame on Signal Tower like some noob ><

I've got some more info/pics for you that seem to be an issue with the iphone version of the game. When I pause on levels in the hall, I see these red stripes on the sides:

(From Frickin Lasers)
    [​IMG]

On Signal Tower and London Bridge (and possibly more levels after), permanent black bars are on each side and move when I move. This may or may not have been brought on by skipping Freshair, because they aren't on any of the former hall levels. When I skipped it, before loading Signal Tower, I saw what I assume to be the cutscene after beating the hall boss, I think there was a line about castle walls crumbling?
    [​IMG]

And again when paused on this level. They appear to be affected by foreground objects.
    [​IMG]

Also thinking back on another thing...lol...After beating the secret level Old School, the next level that loaded was Cavern, opening up that new section on the castle map to play, instead of loading the level that follows Or the Hard Way in the dungeon section. Not sure if this is intentional.

10. WooHooII

Aug 14, 2009
    You normally get that cutscene after beating Freshair, so that part's normal. Also, as far as I can tell, the secret levels are supposed to be shortcuts, since most of them skip you a few levels ahead. I've never seen those bars though.

11. tacograveyardllc

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    In secret mode:
    Boss is impossible at the moment. I'll have to double check blind, thought it was doable. All Good Bears is doable, but very tough. There are a few other levels that can't be beaten by him. The general idea is that he failed and died due to his inability to walk on light. I'll add a counter for his progress, to be honest I figured I would have the update ready long before anyone ever got this far. I am totally impressed.

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. I don't have a 5 so there are some things I never ran into testing.

That is an intentional warp point, good job clearing it!

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wait wait wait wait wait....

There's secret levels?!?!?!?!? Are these found during your regular gameplay, or something that comes up after you complete the game?

13. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I'm really trying hard! I'm trying to enjoy this game but unfortunately its too frustrating for me. The second level of basement is only yielding one bear. Ive played it many many times and died many many times.They must be hiding up higher but how to get there?! The controls , atmosphere, production value is amazing but I thought the difficulty curve would be subtle enough that just the second level in would still be fairly easy. I'm sure someone is having a good laugh at my ineptitude but I'm willing to keep trying. Yet when a game punishes the player so soon I wonder.
    I'm also finding the amazing artwork and detail a tad on the small side on my itouch 4g. I'm sure an iPad would reveal more. There was one bear that was lying down on a block in the third level basement that i just barely saw on screen! Glad I bought the game but if it continues to frustrate I'll be a sad little bear!
    PS: I'll give it a fresh look again tomorrow because this game is intriguing

14. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Some levels have gold fireflies that are difficult to locate and tricky to get to. If you complete a level with one, you'll enter a secret room which contains a gold bear! Since there's only 12 gold bears, and some are located in regular levels, I'd estimate around 7 or 8 gold fireflies total.

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =oO

right on! Thanks! This game is fantastic. The more I play, the more it opens up. I absolutely LOVE it. It's definitely quickly becoming one of my favorite platformers on the iOS.

16. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Come on Capricornman! Get with the program and get into this game. SV could you send some LOVE my way:)

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    In the level select screen - the paintings - they have little purple dots. That should help you find some bears if you're having a hard time. =o)

**if you're still having a hard time - let me know, and I'll see if I can't send you a video through Brag Mode. =oD

18. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the tips! You'd think me being an artist I would have checked out those paintings for clues!!!!
    I laughed when I saw Brag Mode- I thought this I'll never use:)
    :)

19. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Okay things are feeling much better. This game is great! I'm getting more comfortable with the controls and getting through some levels and collecting teddy bears too. Plus the music is memorable...I'm humming it while not playing:)
    I'm also posting because this games thread is slipping back a few pages and it deserves even MORE attention.

20. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    So what is the trick for the crossing? I can't figure out how to get to the green light at the top! Can't anyone help?