Universal Penumbear - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Pm23

Pm23 Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Agreed - they should include any bears collected.

Also, no checkpoints on the boss levels? Seems like they're an entirely different style of gameplay. After 30 minutes on the first one I'm done repeating all the climbing just to work out how to beat the boss. Doubt I'll ever go back to the game - a shame as it was the first 20 levels were largely a joy to play.

2. tacograveyardllc

tacograveyardllc Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    I have no plans of plastering the game with ads and IAP. I'm the one who would have to code that and I hate games that go overboard with that.

Fireflies (keys) should work as checkpoints. They don't save the collected bears, but I might tweak that. Another important note is that you don't have to get all the bears in one run. You can always go back and just collect the ones you missed.

3. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I'll buy your game then.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    Penumbear has been nominated, alongside 9 other games in the
    TouchArcade Forums [thread=180060]Game of the Week![/thread]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What's your favorite? Who will win? [thread=180060]VOTE NOW[/thread]!

(as a reminder, developers are not allowed to vote if their game is in the poll)

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Considering (if I'm not wrong) that collected bears are registered only if you complete a level, I would tweak the checkpoints saving bears too.
    Sometimes you die in front of the exit with everything collected, and it's a bit tedious redoing all the level just to recollect the bears.

Anyway, in the second 'world' now....game is really amazing.
    I wish iCloud worked properly tough...can't wait.

6. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Loving this game. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at, and deviously hard puzzles on top og top notch controls.

I vote for the bears collected is saved at checkpoints too, it's not fun to be forced to collect them again and again when dying, and there's even a couple of levels where it's not possible to collect them again after moving blocks to get the firefly keys.

I'm currently completely stuck on "The Hub" level. Can't get the exit opened, it's locked in by light and it seems I've tried everything now. On the verge of giving up and skip the level, which is something I really hate to do.
    Any help, (spoiler marked), would be appreciated.

7. tacograveyardllc

tacograveyardllc Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    Seem like the overwhelming consensus is to change this and I'm not in love with the way it is. I'll add this to my todo.

Thanks!

The Hub:
    There are two switches in the level, you will have to hit one and then the other to get the path to the exit. The second switch is hidden, look up above an ivy covered platform.

8. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Thank you.
    I'd already found all switches on the level, but I somehow neglected to take into account that it's not always which switch to activate, but from where... :)

9. Zeldaniac

Zeldaniac Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2012
    I'm really digging this game - but I agree that running could use some tweaking. I've died countless times because I thought I was still running and I wasn't, so I jumped half as far. An autorun feature would be nice. Also, a non-cheat-y hint system would be nice. Maybe after 10-20 minutes, a hint or two about what to do.

Still, a 5/5 and GOTW from me!

10. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't recall reading about it in this thread, but I just discovered Brag Mode in the game.
    Basically, it records your gameplay in any one level and gives you the opportunity to upload it to YouTube, email it, post it to Facebook or Twitter.

That's an amazing feature that I haven't seen in iOS games before, and in a game like this it's a godsend. I haven't ever dabbled in posting YouTube videos before myself, but it's a great way to post solutions for levels where it's hard to get all the bears.

One thing I really would like in a update would be easier access to the level select screen, as I've been going through the earlier levels where I've missed bears, and for every new level, I have to exit and wait through two loading screens to see on which levels I've missed bears.

That's really kind of a drag. I would like easier access to the level select screen and/or be able to see on any given level if I've already made a flawless run.

Well, I'm really hoping people start recording runs and posting on YouTube, as I've already run into a few levels where I'm stumped on how to reach all the bears. :)

11. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This is a brilliant game. Having a blast. Is iCloud in fact broken or is there some kind of workaround?

Been playing on my phone and iPad and would love to sync the two up.

ALSO, would love screen flip so I can put headphones in and play easier.

SO FUN regardless. But any word on these things?

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    AHHHHH!!!! I just found my first gold bear! I guess theres 12 of em? So freakn sweet.

13. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I've found 8 gold bears, but I have no idea where to look for the other 4. Is there any way to tell which levels they're in?

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wondering this too...I've been going back and searching and searching through previously beaten levels trying to find more...

I don't think I've had a search like this in a game in a while. Gene Effect was the last one... I think... And the items there weren't this hidden. =oD

15. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    ^ Okay, I downloaded this game earlier today and I'm eager to get started. Can't wait to find those gold bears.....I hope

16. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    How'd you know there's 12 gold bears?

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Once you collect one it says 1/12 on the main menu and level select screens, under the xx/124 (or however many regular bears there are)

18. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    As it turns out, there is a way to know which levels have golden bears. I'm fairly certain it didn't exist when I was looking earlier, though, so it may only appear when you have all of the non-golden bears.

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Right on, thanks!

20. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Oh haha ya I haven't played too much yet