Universal Penumbear - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Wow this looks awesome..will definitely buy this..

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    This worth my money?

3. tacograveyardllc

tacograveyardllc Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    Once you start running, Penumbear does stay in run mode for a bit even if you swap direction or pause for a brief moment (say to stick a jump). I added this in to avoid having to double tap run over and over in some of the later levels that require some crazy platforming (that and I didn't like a run button with all the other buttons on screen).

It definitely takes a bit to adjust to it, hopefully it isn't too bad. If the consensus is to ax that, I can make an option to turn that off. It really does help with some of the acrobatics later on though.

4. Llamaentity

Llamaentity Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2013
    First of all, lovely game. I love platformers and this one has lots of stuff to collect in an amazingly beautiful package (graphics and music in this one are much to my liking).

I do think the double tap to run mechanic is sometimes awkward. If it's appropriate to make a suggestion to you here, I would say try this:

Add an option to the menus that allows us to turn on and off the double tap to run feature, and add another option that would add a run toggle button near the light buttons (or maybe above the left/right buttons), maybe something that looks like a little running Penumbear or whatever. And when you press it, the button lights up to show you that you are now locked in run mode (until you press the button again to toggle it off). Hope that suggestion makes sense.

Either way, really fun platformer and to answer ninjackid's question, yes it is worth buying as long as you enjoy a good platformer. Plenty of levels in this one XD

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Im getting a lot more comfortable with the running mechanics...

If you do change it, could you make sure to keep an option in with the current mechanics?

6. tacograveyardllc

tacograveyardllc Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    Thanks! And totally appropriate, I am open to any and all suggestions. I'll test out a few alternate mechanics and see how flexible I can get in the settings. May need to add a special screen to configure (and test) them.

Absolutely. I'd likely keep the current mechanics as the default unless I come up with something that I really prefer. I tried a bunch of alternatives and while these took a little bit to settle into I ended up liking them more than anything else.

Thanks for all the positive words guys!

7. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Fantastic game!
    Idea, atmosphere, design, levels, mechanics, are top notch!

8. SmackDatButt

SmackDatButt Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Penumbear: pedobear's glorious cousin

9. How does it look on hdmi?

Attached Files:

10. Heck aweful start to this week since RR3 and Aliens vs Predators were my first two games, but this and Danmaku 2 will be sexy. Wonder if Danmaku 2 will support my newly supported icade core joystick.

Coolness!

Have you had a chance to play this on hdmi yet? Let me know, and I will buy!

Attached Files:

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    HDMI - even though we all know my situation... =oP

It looks AMAZING!!! - so for you? FREAK'N AMAZING!!!!!

Attached Files:

12. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I'd grab this one in a flash, but I'm back logged on a lot of games lately. Should probably finish those first...

13. Someday, I hope you get a retina ipad. But thanks, I have decided to buy!!!

Feel so happy cause maybe this will start to turn this week around for me. Will take some hdmi screenshots later from my new ipad.

Thanks again. :D

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha... yeah... Next February I'll be able to get an iPad 4 (yeah... unless a 5 comes out soon, and I can get it refurbished Feb 2014...)

This year was a rarity in that I actually got a new iDevice when it was still considered new. =oP

15. I can understand. I have an extinct new ipad (3rd generation), and an almost extinct iphone 4, but it's ok, I still love 'em... :p

16. Rusothil

Rusothil Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Wow, this game really is something. The puzzles and level designs are perfect. Really, you need to get this if you're on the edge.

17. Wowers!!!

This has some of the best ipad retina graphics on any ios platform game. I thought Wimp HD was one of the best, if not the best, but this just may well top it! Amazing! Can't wait to get home tonight to play it on hdmi.

Haven't gotten a chance to play much, but the controls control really well on my new ipad. Love how it has puzzle elements kind of like how Wimp had.

Since I loved playing Catch the Candy which is another great Bulkypix game, thought this one was gonna be great, and hearing so much good feedback from all the regs, made me feel even better, especially since SV told me it would play well on hdmi. Wowzers, can't wait to get home and blast my sound loud on my soundbar and hook it up to my tv.

Attached is a retina ipad screenshot I just took, impressive. :D

Attached Files:

18. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Nihilumbra meets limbo

19. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    This and Crazy Bill have made this the best week in ages for me!!:D

20. Fractalrock

Fractalrock Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    I am absolutely blown away with this game. This is a definite must have if you like platformers-or really anyone who just loves games. Amazing job.