Universal Penumbear - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    After reading that I'm in for sure... Will leave my thoughts soon...
    Stupid work

planck

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Ok this is just a flat out beautiful game! Great twist with use of shadow. I'm only early in but this just oozes class and character

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Arrrgh, normally this would be my type of game but the high file size means i'll have to do a bit of deleting first.

Was hoping it would be about 50 meg !

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    File size is going to delay my purchase here as well. Can anyone share the installed size?

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Actually the installed size is only 267 mb. Just barely higher than the download size. A lot of games with less than half the download size will expand to as much or more anyway. (As I'm sure you both know.)

6. tacograveyardllc

tacograveyardllc Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    I'll look into this, I already have a patch in the works for a small game center issue.

What devices / versions of iOS are you running? Knowing could help me track down the issue. Thanks!

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #27 syntheticvoid, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Alrighty...

First off - WOW. I'm totally blown away. It's also nice seeing the developer of a Universal platformer actually adjust the controls to fit the iPad screen better (though if possible, it's always good to have adjustable controls - not saying that they're needed here, but I'm sure that there will be some players who would prefer buttons moved slightly). The exploration aspect of it all (trying to find the bears in each level) is awesome. The double tap arrows to run can be a little finicky. There's been a couple of times I was trying to delicately maneuver the character across small one block platforms and he wound up running right off em to his death... but it's still a nice addition, not having to worry about a run button, and once I get a little more familiar with it, I don't see this being too much of a problem.

The lighting mechanics are great, and knowing that more control over the lights is coming has got me all sorts of excited to get into the real meat of the game.

I am also having issues with iCloud not working - iPhone 5 and iPad 2 - both on iOS 6.1.2, not jailbroken. There is also a little issue with the 'Bulkypix' logo on startup on my iPhone 5 - it looks like it's being displayed for an iPad (I only get the bottom right corner of the image on my screen) - but that's not really anything to worry about - just something that I noticed.

Other than that - this is one hell of a platformer so far, and easily my favorite purchase of the week so far (with Danmaku Unlimited 2 coming out tomorrow, it's hard to compete). But yeah - definitely enjoying it quite a bit, and great to see another proper platformer hit this year (Cordy 2 counts, right?)

Aaaaaaaaaaaand - I'm done (yeah, no more closed parenthesis from me... sorry bout all that)

Attached Files:

8. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Sad to see that this doesn't work on an iPad 1 :( Usually games that work on an iPod Touch 4 work on an iPad 1 as well, since the resolution and memory are comparable.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i've just cleared up room for this and bought it. Read a lot of very positive reviews so far so i want to support this, looking forward to giving this a proper go later. Looks very impressive.

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    iPad 2/iPhone 4S. Both 5.1.1.

Is iCloud working for everyone else?

11. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #31 dclose, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Definitely gorgeous throughout, and as you're moving through a castle as you progress, lots of different rooms and things to explore. Finishing a level is easier than getting all the bonus bears, many of which are quite devious to obtain. Definitely a challenging game! Don't go into this one thinking it's easy just because it's cute. It's very cute but can be very challenging. Platformer devotees should love it.

Edit: Also, the double-tap timing is just that, all about the timing. I found this to be a rather challenging and different approach, that takes practice to master.

12. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I actually thought this was a bit odd as well. What seems to happen is, after you double tap a direction, your character just seems to run for a little while. Even if you stop and go again or change direction. As if some timer has been set off. After a short while of standing still he will switch back to walking. I'm actually not sure whether this is intentional or not.

13. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Outstanding game! Only problems are that when I go the first bear it gave me achievements for getting all bears in all areas, and I like the noise that the bear makes when he jumps but the second noise it makes when you jump could get obnoxious later on.

But very well done game!! Looking 4ward to venturing into this

14. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Wow just got 5 stars on app spy! May have to pick this up!

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I am LOVING the BGM - is there any chance the soundtrack could be shared via bandcamp or iTunes?

16. tacograveyardllc

tacograveyardllc Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    iOS Developer
    Thanks!! You can listen to the whole thing here: https://soundcloud.com/the-four-hats/sets/penumbear

I'll see if we can get it up on iTunes. We can't get it to bandcamp due to the original flac files being on a machine that was stolen :( prior to getting it backed up. But iTunes should be a possibility.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks so much for the link! And that sucks that you had a machine stolen!

Anywho - hope you can get it up onto iTunes, I'd love to be able to have this on my iPhone for car rides. =oD

18. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I beta tested this game, (I'm sorry for being a baaaad beta tester... :() and it was awesome!

19. Estrica

Estrica Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
  20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I am embarrassed. I played only 3 levels - and normally avoid most platformers - but this is great. And I payed only 2 bucks.