Universal Penarium (by Team17 Software Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Ha! - preach Slam, preach! I cant stop playing!

I took mental notes of things that could spruce it up a bit:

•cloud saving

•Main map screen feedback when touching locked arenas, i.e. "This arena is locked until you..."

•option to swap restart button to the right side where the menu button is now

•stay in arcade or campaign depending on what was played last - now it resets to campaign when quitting and coming back (hope that made sense)

•option to skip through campaign conversations after you've read it once

I can see Penarium having serious lasting power. Really checks the boxes (or barrels) for me.

2. coolit

coolit Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    It is a surprise to see so little leaderboard action! I can only assume since the arcade option isn't so pronounced people are overlooking it in favor of the campaign right now... it's a hard enough slog on its own to get through!

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    That certainly is the case with me.

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    So much ranting and raving but I am confused on how this plays? What's the objective? Anyone have a video of a good slice of gameplay? Thanks!

5. coolit

coolit Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #25 coolit, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Every level has slightly different objectives, like collecting barrels, popping balloons in order or collecting potions before they splat, and this all has to be done while avoiding traps. There are 3 campaign sets of increasing difficulty and 3 difficulty settings of the arcade mode which just involves collecting as many barrels as possible while avoiding traps. In arcade you also collect money which can be spent on ability cards in the shop.

The game plays well (at least on iPhone) but is very difficult. Expect to die often as the objectives bait you into the path of the traps.

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thanks

7. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    agree 100% campaign conversations - once you've read them I don't really want to see them again at the start of each level.
    magic game, mind.

8. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    so no one's going to mention the game is hard AF? First 5 stages in the Tier 1 are ok-ish, everything's enjoyable, but every next stage is more difficult and it's getting incredibly frustrating. I'm rather playing Arcade mode, but since you need to finish the campaing to unlock next Tier, at least I think so, it's becoming a little bit boring.. I already unlocked all the cards for Tier 1, so there's nothing new for me unless I finish the campaing which seems almost impossible ATM. Also, I'd appreciate option to scale LEFT and RIGHT buttons and move them further of each other. I'm lost multiple times because of those buttons. Other than that, I'm enjoying it so far.

9. Boyen

Boyen Active Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Wow did not see this one coming. I'm enjoying it a lot! It's hard but fair IMO. And I'm grinning every death because I know it's my fault. Unlocked the second tent after an hour or so, so the campaign probably won't last me very long. But I guess there's a lot of fun in arcade as well.
    Would like to be able to change the button size.

10. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#30 Anotherkellydown, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    I finally beat the first arena (10 challenge levels) which unlocks arena two, along with a whole new arcade mode setup (different platform arrangement) and leaderboard to go along with it.

The following is referring to Arcade Mode:

After you unlock the tier 2 cards ("cards act as powerups in arcade" mode) and collect more than 4 cards you can either:

A: start like normal and let it choose a random 4 cards (power ups) for you OR

B: use the button at the top of the screen to stop a spinning banner of cards on the ones you want, at the expense of some coins...

...basically, you can always have 4 power ups going, but they must be picked up during play and only last 25 seconds. There are some really cool ones like a laser that blasts through barrels or another that gives you infinite jumps.

This game is definitely hard. I love it though. Grabbed the XB1 version today as well.

11. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    The only complaint I have (and it's a game breaker for me, unfortunately) is that left/right control is too far away from the edge of my iPad screen. I need bigger hands, or an update to let us move the controls closer to the edges, so I'll patiently wait for the update :)

12. coolit

coolit Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #32 coolit, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    It's hard, but only as hard as it should be! I don't find it particularly frustrating because 99% of the time I fail it's my fault... it's not like the mechanics often create impossible scenarios and the gameplay is solid (I've only had a few dodgy hit box moments where I swear I was in the clear).

I also found levels 6-10 (and beyond) really difficult too but the more I played the better I got and now they seem easy. I think to really enjoy this title you've got to be ready to put it down if you fail a level a dozen times and come back to it later... it doesn't take too long to get the knack of it.

I think we've all just become used to the mobile standard where games are super easy and rely on star ratings to add any semblance of difficulty

Edit: #1 in arena 3! I'm never number one in anything hahaha

13. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    This

14. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    I've been waiting just over 2 years for Penarium to come to mobile and boy was I happy when I saw it featured over here in the UK.

Arcade mode is tough but real fun. I would love to customise the L & R buttons by adding a very slight gap between them, other than spot on. :D

15. coolit

coolit Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Anyone beat stage 24, "the stairway"? It's hard enough as is before the 4th phase... I feel like this one takes a lot of lucky barrel placements to beat

16. Boyen

Boyen Active Member

Jun 13, 2016
    I did, you need to make Zigzag jumps for the yellow balls (jump left, double jump right), it can be consistently dodged.

17. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I bought this twice already. This is just as fun as the console version. It's even better now that I can play anywhere. I was worried about how this would play without physical controls because of the kind of gameplay it has, but the controls are spot on . They're pretty intuitive

18. coolit

coolit Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Yeah I finished it shortly after I post that! I was struggling with the yellow ones and I had it in my mind the 4th phase was going to be yellow + laser... I was so glad to find it was just rockets #

19. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Pretty good, nice to play the formula of muffin knight/super crate box again

20. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Half price!!! It's Super Crate Box meets 774 Deaths. Shut up and take my money.