PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Infinity89, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I moved into college 2 weeks ago. Something crazy I realized is that I've met more people who brought their desktop PCs or gaming laptops to play games than people who brought consoles. Even the people who didn't have heard of and expressed alot of interest in trying games like Counter-Strike or DOTA. It seems to me like PC is making a huge comeback I love it

2. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

It's the sales.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'd imagine that a PC, which is also useful for college, is the preferred device to a console which is dedicated to gaming alone.

4. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013

Exactly. Besides, most dorm rooms can't handle a large TV for console gaming.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Shouldn't it even be: the PC is mainly for college stuff and secondary for gaming? :rolleyes:

6. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Same here. It's a lot of fun to play multiplayer games with your friends. You don't have to manage too much devices as well. We usually play Counter Strike together and it's very fun.

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    *cough*I didn't spent 2 grand on my laptop to do assignments on it*cough*

:p

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    PC gaming has always been quietly huge. The latest gen of consoles are basically PC's minus the OS. I think what's changed is that you can get a gaming PC for less that $1k. If fact you can buy a pretty decent Alienware for $500. Almost everything gets ported to PC. They're backwards compatable so you can keep your whole library of games from one PC to the next. My nephew and his friends who are in HS are all PC gamers.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I never got why people are <insert platform> gamers, there's some things my PC is better suited for, some things my console(s), some my handheld, others my mobile device(s). I'm just a gamer, platforms are usually for people who have invested in one only and it neglects the core which is actually the games.

That's not really directed at you but rather general, what I did want to say in reply to your post was that consoles are basically PC's, people have been saying this since the original Xbox (if not before that) and I still don't see it. Everything has its strength and weakness, it's negatives and positives.

Lastly, as far as popularity for PC, I think Valve have done a lot to consolidate the platform, and as much hate as Steam gets sometimes it's ultimately strengthened the user base.

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I hear what you're saying and you make very good points. It's the content not the platform, stupid. :) I don't put myself into any sort of camp except that I like to play good games. But that's where things get a little interesting. There seems to be less and less console exclusive games. For example No Man's Sky is one of the exclusive must have PS4 games. Except it's also coming out on PC. Personally, I would love to see all pillars stay strong including consoles, PC, handheld, mobile. Consoles are still relevant for being plug and play, stable platform, good value, and strong backing by a parent company.

Anyways my post was directed to a few comments where people were like wow PC's actually have good games on them. I'm thinking yeah PC's always had good games on them.

11. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah I didn't really mean to direct that at you, it was a bit of a soap box moment and generalisation.

12. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Has anyone tried Skyshine's Bedlam? Looks a bit of alright.

13. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Thinking of getting it. It gives me a Bastion Vibe. Don't know why.