paying for an app, having it become a demo

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mek, Dec 2, 2008.

1. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    No read the start of the thread, this is about applications people paid for, turning into ad-supported apps. That means you paid originally and now also get ads in the game. You are paying for the app multiple times here, which is much different than simply dropping the price of an application.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    So it looks like Glu has updated space monkey again and taken the ads out!

"<***NOTE TO USERS: We have heard your feedback loud and clear and we sincerely apologize for causing you any distress over the in-game ads in Space Monkey. When the monkey started screaming and throwing junk at us, we knew we had to get the cosmos back in order. For our existing customers who have previously bought the game or tried the free version, we will be removing the ads and updating Space Monkey with all the new features. We hope you will continue to provide feedback and enjoy future games from Glu. ***>"

3. Modus

Modus Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    #23 Modus, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    I think I was quite clear regarding my support versus paid apps becoming ad-hosting trojans. I'm referring to applications that become free over time to make way for newer versions of the same application, sans advertising or demo-mode hobbling (which is probably illegal in some countries/states).

The OP made a case from the calculator application that had become free (no mention of demo mode crippling or advertising), and in it's place a newer paid version had appeared in the store. The intimation being that he was angry at having paid for something that is now free, and he'd have to pay for the features in the new build. You did read that, right?

I said this in another similar thread earlier today: If you have a problem, complain to Apple. Demand a refund.

A "Blacklist" may make you feel better and get your blood boiling good and proper, and it's not something I'd ignore myself, but I find things get done by talking to people who can actually do something about it, not by pulling faces and pointing fingers. Mob rule is powerful stuff, but only if you wield it efficiently.

Second time I've posted this link today:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

(24 hour response support)
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/browser/

4. mek

mek Well-Known Member

I brought up the Calculator, not because i had purchased it, but because it brought to my attention that an app that people have paid for changed its status, and a Pro paid version was offered, so for those people to gain those features they already had, plus the new ones they would have to pay for again... but it was not crippled with advertisements and it did not become a demo, so i removed it from the list

i realize it was a bad example, but it did bring up the point that there are developers that are abusing customers out there...so out of that bad example, hopefully came some good, and a voice

so I have updated the list accordingly...and with a healthy debate, we can add and or remove items from the list accordingly

5. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    any updates to the list?

6. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    didn't something like this happen with aurora feint also?

7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    No. The original was always free.

8. G0tsk1llz

G0tsk1llz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Duck Shoot used to be $.99 until they made it free. They then released Duck Shoot Pro for $.99

9. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    RunKeeper is a special case. First it was quite an expensive app. Then it became free, because the seller expected to make enough money from ads on his webpage, where you have to go to see your data. Finally they decided to remove the app completely and to re-release it in two versions: RunKepper Free with ads and RunKeeper Pro without ads for 9,99 Dollar. To calm down the angry buyers of the original RunKeeper they announced that RunKeeper Pro will be free for one day and reminded every original buyer via mail. This might be an acceptable way, but it still remains strange.

10. TwistedFry

TwistedFry Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Also add Kirill Satchkov, their "night vision" app purports to have smart algorithms and is not a gimmick however, it is!

And if you look on the description, it actually uses keywords (names of other successful apps) and tries to disguise it as a suggestion for what to use this app on.

Not very honest IMO

see for yourselves, and scroll down just above where it says about the new version :eek: tut tut

11. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    A new entry in the list: iJiggles (not to be confuse with iJiggly!). This infamous app is now permanent free - with ads!

12. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    The update description said not to update if you didn't want ads

13. iGewappnet

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    That's ridiculous. It means you will never get an update (new features, bug fixes). And who wants to get this update presented forever in the update screen?

14. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    can we add LOCK N ROLL to that list??

it was awesome, it was free.. now it is FREE AND HAS ADS.. soon a "PRO" version will be released, leaving the previous full game as a mere demo with ads. shucks.

15. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    You're right, I forgot that it was free. I think they updated the original to say lite in the name which threw me off.

I'm wondering what the "free" games that ask you to spam friend invites are going to do once they get enough of an installed user base. Typically these viral apps make revenue off of ads, so it could get ugly.

16. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    I agree this list should be updated I think it's important not to support developers who do this.

Here's one I know there is no way that it will get added but with the news of topple too and topple now being free with ads following the rules Ngmoco should be on the list.

17. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    It happened with Topple also. I paid for it and now it's free with Topple Too the paid one instead.

18. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

???
    Let's see if I got this straight: You got a free game and later the developer added ads to it and made a better version people could buy? What's the problem exactly? You got something for free and now you're angry that if you want more of the same you have to pay?

19. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    TOPPLE. it was paid. and then went to FREE WITH ADS!! wth ngmoco ... just wth. i dont mind if its free but ADS?? ive lost faith in this developer..