iPad Payback is now $4.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by field5, Feb 19, 2009.

1. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
  2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I have found the game to be well worth the $8 hopefully alot more people will get to play at $5 and Apex can get back in the top 50 where this game belongs.

3. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I'm still waiting for an update before I bother playing it more. What annoys me most is the feeling that it was rushed, which I get because of the inconsistent level of quality. The main voice over sounds good, but the main character sounds like he has a dustbin on his head. Many of the other voices sound poor quality too. And a good number of the texures are terrible, whereas some of them are very good. I'd also like to see a few tweaks, like garages being much more visible, lamp posts falling (unrealisitic maybe, but they are soo bloody difficult to see) and the like.
    Although it's not for me to tell the developer how he should have made his game, I would also have preferred one map with a lot more detail than the spew of maps that don't feel very 'alive'.

Anyway, it's obviously a very high standard game for the app store, and I'm not trying to put people off totally, but I would prefer a game that felt finished, rather than another game that obviously needs an update.

4. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I forget where I saw it, but James is quoted somewhere very recently as saying "an update is coming really soon."

5. skathir

skathir Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    you are right rich. Its in the appstore description. The new camera angle sounds promising.

"v1.1 should be available by the end of the month. Improvements will include:

+ Much improved minimap
    + Easy way to restart missions
    + Built-in instructions
    + Optional new camera angle
    + Support for different device orientations for more comfortable use on the iPod Touch
    + Bug fixes
    + Lots of other tweaks "

6. iGecko

iGecko Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Film student, photographer
    Montreal
    I'm hesitating, even at 4.99$, since ZenBound is coming soon. I might just wait until CJS to compare, even if the price drop is tempting...

7. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    This sounds particularly good, I'm glad Apex are updating this as direct ports of old games (and this is old) always run the risk of no updates... legacy code and stuff.

8. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Sweet, this is worth it at this price right? Im trying to decide between this and Zombieville USA.

9. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    It's very dependant of the style of game you like. IMO this is going to offer you alot more variety.

10. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    They both seem to offer explosions and stuff, but I want something that has tons of replay value.

11. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    This makes me mad!!!! I payed 6or7 stinkin bucks for this game!!

Yea its an ok game but I couldf of used that 1or2 extra dollars to buy Pocket God or somthing else

12. smear

smear Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    U.S. (Detroit, MI)
    this game is way overrated, maybe with those updates it would be worth $5. if you're on the fence I would say wait until Car Jack Streets comes out and see if that is any good.

IMHO it's fun for a little while, but got old really fast.

13. mek

mek Well-Known Member

QFT. i dont even play it, and kinda feel like i wasted my money, just another lesson learned not to by overhyped games that everyone is talking about

but hey, at least i supported the developer and maybe someday i will pick it up again...someday

14. app-inured

app-inured Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Yeah, I'd recommend waiting to see how CAR JACK STREETS compares before considering this one. I found it to be quite a disappointment.

15. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Man are you going to have a fit once you have to buy gas or anything in the real world.

If $2 makes you mad over 3 weeks, wait until you're paying $5 extra for gas when compared to the last time you filled up.

16. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    #16 VoodooVyper, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    Haha yea I dunno what it us about iPhone games but I'm the same way. Like I add a $2.99 game to my AppSniper and wait for it to drop a dollar or two before I buy it. But I'll check it every day and ponder buying it at that price.

I'm 23 years old, I pay $250+70 a month for car+insurance. Yet here I am depriving myself out of a game because it's $1 more than I want to spend.

I guess it's just the thrill of it... I don't really know. And I suppose it does add up especially if you buy a lot of games.

17. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    #17 rpb1975, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    Good point! The funnier thing is that I know a lot of people who won't spend $30 to have great apps of their $400 iDevice??? That doesn't even make sense. These same people keep wanting to play the games on my iPod...what? :confused:

18. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Once you pop you just can't stop.

19. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    #19 Seien, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    I'm the exact same way. I'm 23, engaged, and have a decent job. I have no problem paying for rent, gas, eating out, and saving a pretty good bit of money, but when it comes to iPhone games i've noticed i'm cheap. I mean REALLY cheap. I look at a $2.99 game and think "No way, that looks overpriced. $2.99. I consume an extra chicken sandwich from chic-fil-a and get no benefit from it 3 hours later and yet I won't spend it on an App that will give me hours of enjoyment. Even funnier, yesterday I purchased Street Fighter 4 without giving it a second thought (And for the record i've put in about 6 hours since picking it up after work...i'm an addict.)

Whats the moral of the story? I guess to loosen up? You tell me, because my Snipe list is full of $2.99 games I just don't want to shell out the cash for.

Perhaps I'm just afraid that it's like DonBurns99 said "Once you pop you just can't stop."

20. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Haha well I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. I imagine there are thousands of us just like that. I think it's due in part to the huge amount of apps on there. Think back a year or two ago when the iPhone hadn't come out, I had a Verizon phone and games cost $4.99 and up on average, but there weren't many of them, so I'd have no problem buying a few.

I think the problem originates where there's so many games and the few good games you want to get, get overshadowed. Plus the likeliness of games going on sale. Nobody would like buying a $7.99 game and having it go down to 3 or $4.99. But like you said, I buy Taco Bell nearly twice a week, that's 5 dollars right there that has only a short term benefit of tasting good (and a long term benefit of diarrhea) but yet I still can't make myself buy a $3 game that will keep me entertained during free time.