iPad Payback and CarJackStreets...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TheOZ, Jan 2, 2009.

1. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    #1 TheOZ, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
    Im wondering...aren't they the same style game, why are the developers releasing the two games so close to eachother? Why does it seem that when one unique game makes way(or is on its way) to the Iphone a dozen other games exactly like that game come out? The way things unfold in the appstore I see that even though both games will most likely be decent or amazing the one which gets released first will get the most publicity. With this in mind why do you think the developers are releasing the games and information so close together?

Do you think this new GTA styled gamplay/genre is going to start being developed by the dozens? Which do you think will do better and which do you personally think looks better?

See: CarJack Streets Developer Remarks here.

Payback (GP2X mobile version)

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

the more competition the better
    it means we will get better games

they both look good
    and i might pick up both

3. smokin okin

smokin okin Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    common, take a look at the screen shots, which one do you think people are going to buy

4. illucius

illucius Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I hope that regardless of all the wait time, between these two games... please don't give us something sucky with poor controls and bug filled.

5. mek

mek Well-Known Member

it all depends on gameplay

the carjack one looks like the original GTA, and if it is as fun, or more fun, then i am sold

gameplay rules graphics IMO

6. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

You said it mate, i'll get whichever has the best gameplay/controls, story and/or type(s) of missions. Graphics in any GTA style crime game come second to those - its the reason I disliked the Getaway - all pretty graphics and no fun gameplay!

7. firstprime

firstprime Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    president of awesome town!
    wexford, ireland
    i cant wait for both of them but i was just wondering, are there no copyright issues with making games so similar to gta? and car jack streets is pretty similar.....

8. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Good point ----it happens with books and movies all the time ---- must be a logical conclusion

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Nope; you can't copyright an idea. Graphics, music, code, writing: yes. Ideas: no.

--Eric

10. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    another Payback video

added it here

11. spyker3292

spyker3292 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #11 spyker3292, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    You could always try the payback demo: http://www.apex-designs.net/payback_demo.html

I should point out that that Mac version of the game is really old. The videos of the GP2X version look like they have far better graphics and probably other big changes. So don't expect the iPhone version to look exactly like the Mac one.

12. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Payback looks level based, rather than the open world in Car Jack Streets. In this respect, Car Jack Streets is much more like GTA.

13. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Here's a better video of Payback (GP2X version) with some missions and crazy tank based killing rampages shown. Looks pretty cool! I like the 3D graphics too.

14. SmallSoldiers81

SmallSoldiers81 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    oHiO
    WOW! the voice actings is preetttyy bad on payback. At least with that indian dude he's on the phone with. Maybe it's better with others

15. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Is it just me, or do people think apple won't approve these titles?

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Apple is going to have to start to play ball with developers and realize that they can't be like the Nintendo of old.

If Apple puts movies and music with "adult" themes on the app store, then they should do the same with games.

I know the controversy around Zombie Mangle to Alien Mangle, but I'm hoping that these incidents of Apple poo-pooing on violence, sexual themes, and gore in games are not going to be the norm going forward. Yes, they should have oversight just to make sure things don't get too hairy, but that doesn't mean they should pull the type of stuff that Nintendo did back in the Mortal Kombat days.

In fact, I kinda have this feeling that if and when DOOM, Quake III Arena and the like finally make it over that Apple will be less stringent with the "rules" in terms of making sure they cater to bigger and more well known developers. And at that point they'll have to level the playing field for everyone else.

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    If they work on it, it should actually look much better than the GP2X version, differences in CPU and GPU power and all.

18. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I agree with Haephestos Payback seems like it is based around objectives(mostly) seems like in CarJackStreets you may have alittle more freedom than in Payback, but then again we haven't seen to many videos of Car JackStreets so there is still more to come before we try and compare the two.

19. Paul@Tag

Paul@Tag Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Scotland, UK
    Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a great Christmas and I trust you have a great 2009!

Interesting to see that Car Jack Streets will have some healthy competition in the 'GTA' genre on iPhone with Payback, however I would agree with some of the points already made here in that although they may appear similar I think the games are very different in terms of game-play and structure.

Without giving too much away this is how PocketGamer.co.uk summed up Car Jack in their recent Top 10 Mobile Games of 2009 article "Taking a top-down perspective, it resembles the game that set the genre rolling, but it's no retro remake. Car Jack Streets is a great game in its own right, unique in its use of real-time to structure goals."

Quite simply Car Jack is a game that has been designed from the ground up to be played for 15-20 minutes a day over a period of months, not for hours in one sitting (although there is plenty to do if thats your thing!) After a long time making mobile games this best fits the behaviour profile of your traditional mobile gamer. It will be interesting to see if this applies to iPhone...

Anyway I hope that if Payback plays half as well as it looks then you'll find the cash to buy both games! We'll also have a few other yet to be announced features that will blow you away ;)

Cheers

20. spyker3292

spyker3292 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    At least "Nintendo of old" didn't have systems with 90% shovelware like "Nintendo of new" is. Sadly, the app store is also similar to that.