Universal Payback² HD (by Apex Designs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hen14, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Are the achievements linked with Game Center?

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I thought I had owned the original, then I installed the lite version. I realized the game I was thinking of (which, IMO deserves a sequel) was Carjack Streets.

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Reminds me why I stay away from the "upcoming" forum...hype can bite your ass.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    You've basically got (with other names, that is) the following modes:

Twin-stick shooter style:
    - Deathmatch.
    - Team deathmatch.
    - Capture the flag(s).
    - Defend your base(s).
    Racing style:
    - Circuit racing (X laps).
    - Sprint (race from A to B).
    - Elimination (last one each lap is out).
    GTA-Style:
    - Random missions in city: this is as the random mission mode of Payback 1, where you got missions from phone cabins. In Payback 2 you can set the time limit of each game so that it suits your needs.

There are 7 cities, and the one I played last night seems quite big. I have to check the rest though.

I played Payback 1 a lot, and I can say this one is an evolution of that, more focussed on playing events either single player or multiplayer. There's no story mode as such (at least not that I've seen), but the GTA-style "random mission" mode is a very good substitute. You also have the main campaign mode, where you have to achieve 3 stars in each event to advance.

Graphics are quite better than in Payback 1. Vehicles and city models are still simple if you compare to true GTA games, but they're in line with Payback 1 graphics. I love the lighting effect and there seems to be much better effects in Payback 2 than in 1.

If you're like me and enjoyed Payback 1, then I think you will enjoy this one too.

5. Danz060391

Danz060391 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Piano teacher
    New Zealand
    A sequel for car jack streets has been in the works for some time now, it's expected to launch by the end of the year, there is a thread in the upcoming games section.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think this games pretty good. From the video i wasnt expecting a free roam GTA style game. Instead theres lots of 'mini missions'.

Played for an hour or so this morning, theres a couple of decent races in there, a couple of top down dual stick shooting style games with tanks or on foot. Completed about 5 of them and i'll try to complete the others later.

Graphics are very good, bit of a 'high-ish' price in iOS terms but you get that often with small dev teams. Actually like the small filesize as i'm now looking at smaller apps due to having so much on my ipod and not so much free space.

So far i'm liking it, for a pound or two its good

7. JD321

JD321 Member

Game Impressions

Hi everyone,

Sorry for not posting sooner - I missed this thread until now. I'm the developer of the game and I just thought I should clarify a few things:

1) The game is smaller than the first (in terms of storage) because it doesn't include a tonne of music files. The feedback from the first game on these was mixed (it wasn't to everyone's taste) so we decided to take the route of playing the user's music (apart from the intro and title music) instead. The cities are just as big and open world as in the first game (i.e. huge) - the game is small due to being as efficiently coded as possible.

2) The game is not just races and deathmatch. As some posters have commented, there are many other modes like capture the swag, conquest, kingpin, etc. They are just not all used straight away to ease the player in more gently than the first game did (another complaint people had). There is also still a fully free-roaming "rampage" mode where you are totally free to explore the city, answer phones to get missions, etc. - just like in the first game.

3) The price of the HD version is 5.99 USD (not 6.99 USD).

Anyway, I hope that clears things up. I'll try and answer any other questions I can.

Thanks,
    James.

8. JD321

JD321 Member

9. JD321

JD321 Member

#49 JD321, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    Whilst I agree the overall look is broadly similar, I wouldn't say that the improvement in the graphics is insignificant. For example:

• The characters have been completely redone (both completely new models (10 times the poly count) and new animation).
    • The graphics engine has been completely rewritten (it's now hardware rather than software rendered) so it's a lot faster (60Hz vs 30Hz), sharper (2048x1536 vs 480x320), and has loads more visual effects than the previous game.
    • The HUD, controls and menu system have also been completely redone.

James.

10. Snooptalian

Sep 12, 2009
    Still curious about ^^^...

11. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    4/5 on Appspy.

12. JD321

JD321 Member

Yep, achievements are linked with Game Center.

13. Snooptalian

Sep 12, 2009
    Thank you. Off to the App Store now. :)

14. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    This looks right down my alley, off to the appstore to get it now!

15. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, that was my mistake, sorry. I checked the NZ price, converted it at xe.com and it was nearer $7 than $6.

Also, for those of you who only own an iPhone, there's an iPhone-only version for €2.99 instead of €4.99.

16. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    Just bought this. I like it!

The Gang War mode is awesome!

17. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Appshopper has this at 3.99? Did the price already drop?

Edit...

The link in Appshopper comes up at 3.99 but the link here comes up at 5.99, so I am not sure.

18. JD321

JD321 Member

The US prices are $5.99 for the universal (HD) version, $3.99 for the iPhone/iPod version. There are links to both versions on our website here:
    http://www.apex-designs.net/shop_pb2.html

James.

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Hey James, the iphone "mute" button doesn't work in this game. I have to set the volume to zero so that it mutes. Is it a bug or intentional?

20. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010