Universal PATHZ (by P-O-M apps)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. p-o-m apps

p-o-m apps Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Haifa
  2. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #22 y2kmp3, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Hi, Roy,

I have already finished the game (see screenshot).

[​IMG]

Thanks for the confirmation about Level 86. I was able to re-solve the level with the added constraints (
    blue will open orange’s locks, and vice versa
    ). The solution length is about the same (at least in the versions I discovered) as my original solution that breaks the symmetry, so both solution paths are about the same in efficiency.

There are actually many levels in which not all of the given mechanisms are required to solve the level (for Level 60, I was referring to the breakable tiles, not portals). I recall only a few, since I stopped tracking them once I discovered that there are many.

Some examples are:

Level that does not require all portals: 41, 88, 116
    Level that does not require all elevators: 73
    Level that does not require all 4-way tile switcher: 75, 82
    Level that does not require all color changers: 96

However, solving the levels these ways may not be the most efficient. One trend I observed in the puzzle design in this game is that the more "complicated" a level gets, the more ways it can be solved. This is not necessary an undesired trait for a puzzle game, but often I got lost in deciding which solution path is best to take.

Overall, although some of the puzzles could be "tightened" to reduce the solution space, in general I am extremely expressed by the thoughts you gave behind the design of the puzzles in this game. I can definitely tell and can appreciate the handcrafted nature of the puzzles. I also really like your IAP and free-to-play unlock options, offering players an incentive to share the game and help to promote it without overselling.

Highly recommended.

3. MisterFister

MisterFister New Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Need help level 81

It is exactly impossible to google this, because I keep getting directed to advertisements for pedometers, pompoms, and bicycle paths in my city.

Perhaps an in-game hint feature? Previous levels have stumped me for a while, but this one really bothers me. Going after the teal key leaves me stranded.

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    MisterFister,

I agree. Level 81 is extremely tricky. This level is an example of how clever some of the puzzles in this game are. Here is a hint that may help.

Resist the temptation to finish off Mr. Blue quickly. At one point, Mr. Blue will be right beside the teal key. Instead of going up (to finish off Mr. Blue), switch to Mrs. Orange and backtrack to lay down a blue path for Mr. Blue. Move Mr. Blue back downward to lay down an orange path for Mrs. Orange to reach the teal key. At this point, finish off Mr. Blue and you will find an orange path clear to finish off Mrs. Orange.

5. MisterFister

MisterFister New Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Fair enough, and thanks for the level advice, but you'll note that I was distinctly not asking for level advice. I was making two completely different suggestions. First, I was pointing out that the title of this game yields almost exclusively a slew of false positive hits on the googles. Second, I was asking if there were any plans for an in-game feature to provide, if not hints, then at least a way to display possibly legal moves.

6. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Huh? Your post subtitle said "Need help level 81"? That was why I responded.

7. ediwolframton

ediwolframton Active Member

Mar 15, 2013
  8. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    LOL yeah, if you post something on a game forum and give it the title "Need help level 81", then people interpret that as ... such :D

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks, saosijs, for the rescue. ;) I guess I will just stay silent next time...

10. Patrickwastaken

Patrickwastaken New Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Hint on level 75?

I'm sure there is something basic that I just can't see, but I can't get either tile off the first 'island.' Any help would be appreciated!

11. p-o-m apps

May 28, 2010
    Haifa
    @ediwolframton
    You are right :) since i got hundreds of emails from people who are stuck at levels, and I'm trying to help them all with hints. but it became too much for me to handle all requests, so I'm making a full walkthrough for PATHZ.
    Here are the solutions for levels 31-45

And for levels 45-60

@y2kmp3
    You are one of few who are active in helping people in this forum, please continue to do so.

@Patrickwastaken
    The next episode of the walkthrough (Let's Play PATHZ - [Levels 61-75]) will show you how to pass path 75, stay tuned :)

Im working on some updates that will include:
    Color theme selection (with new colors introduced).
    New music theme - Nature.
    Move Counter for optimised solution, with star system.
    Facebook integration - you'll be able to see your friends progress.
    30 More levels - 2 new game mechanics.

Im considering going premium with PATHZ, i get way too much complaints about ads ruin the game experience :/
    You may share your thoughts about this, i read everything.
    Roy.

12. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #32 y2kmp3, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Hi, Roy,

Thanks for the encouragement. Did you see my previous post with a partial list of the levels which I discovered that did not require the use of all of the mechanics (beside the breakable tiles)?

While I am encouraged to see that an update may include "Move Counter for optimised solution", this may be exceeding difficult to do and may not be an achievable goal to pursue. Your game is complex enough that there are likely many solutions to many of the levels, many of which would vary in efficiency. Unless you have an algorithm to auto-solve each level to verify, any proposed threshold may turn out not to be optimal. I was intrigued by the walkthrough videos you posted. For many levels, my solutions were quite different from yours. Seeing the videos was instructive as it conclusively proves that your game has a very flexible solution space.

13. kronicred

kronicred New Member

Apr 12, 2015
    I love this game Roy. Thanks for making it. I just got to level 87. For me the toughest levels so far have been 75 and 81. I was stuck on 75 for days! I could get orange off the first "island", but blue kept getting stranded. I don't remember what I did in the end, but eventually I got through it. I was surprised that level 86 didn't give me much trouble, but it may have been that I expected it to be more difficult based on what I had read here.

14. p-o-m apps

May 28, 2010
    Haifa
    #34 p-o-m apps, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Sorry for the late reply guys,
    School homework were intense (computer science), making comprehensive changes to the Linux kernel.. Awesome stuff.
    But I took the time yesterday to record and upload a new walkthrough video of levels 76-90, so those of you who stuck may find it helpful.

@y2kmp3Yes I've seen the list, thanks for that, I'm looking into it and I might make a bit of modification to these levels in an update.
    About the move counter, I hear you, surly there are many solutions to each levels, but most of them will have an estimated X amount of moves (plus minus 2 or 3)
    And be fairly similar to the solution I intended when the level was built.
    I'm still thinking of other ways to bring some sort of competition to the table, as of now, move counter is my only option, surly, any advice is welcome as always.

@kronicred
    Thank you for playing :) it is nice to hear you enjoy the game, if there is anything you think might make PATHZ better, don't hesitate to say so.

Roy.

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Great game. Bought it several days ago. Is it hard to have a "restore" button? With all the iap out there its impossible to remember (or even keep lists) of purchased IAP. Restore takes the angst out of the "did i purchase it?" question.
    :)

16. p-o-m apps

May 28, 2010
    Haifa
    @pluto6 , You are absolutely right, it should not be so hard to have a restore button :)
    Here you go, let me know if there is anything i can do to help.

[​IMG]

Roy.

17. Mjw14

Mjw14 New Member

Apr 20, 2015
    Level 113

Help! I cannot figure this level out. An hints?

18. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Roy,

Just saw your "official" solution walkthrough. For Level 86, you should consider revising the solution shown in the walkthrough. As you and I previously discussed, it is possible to SOLVE the level by switching ONLY ONCE each of the tiles in the middle islands to the correct color (blue for the top island, orange for the bottom island). The current solution requires a double color switch for one of the tiles in the middle islands. This is the solution I found initially when I first spoke to you about this level, and it is less efficient than the solution which I subsequently discovered that does not require this double switch. The currently shown solution is suboptimal and a lot more cumbersome than it needs to be.

19. AJAJPatt

AJAJPatt New Member

May 25, 2015
    Level 114

I am completely stuck on Level 114 and I've tried for weeks now. Can anyone help out? Please & thank you!:confused::confused: