Universal Pathos: Nethack Codex (by Callan Hodgskin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by callanh, Dec 1, 2015.

1. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    The correct seed is in the save file but it is not known when the splash screen is first shown. The splash screen is just showing that Pathos is busy while loading the save file. I might have to display the seed somewhere else after the game is loaded.

2. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    #62 funambulist, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    @callanh — Thanks for implementing the Orc talent (and all the other improvements) in this morning's beta update! Pathos: Netback Codex is becoming more and more fun to play!

Cheers!

Edited to add: as an oft over-burdened player I'm also pleased with the weightless gold experiment!

3. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    If you are interested I have started a twitter account for Pathos:

https://twitter.com/Pathos_Nethack

I have recently posted about some upcoming expansions to the help.

4. funambulist

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    @callanh Just a note to thank you for the constant stream of updates! Especially the built-in info has become more useful of late. For me this means fewer trips to the nethack wiki...

Loving this game!

5. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    @funambulist - did you see the addition of the slash'em monsters and items? Really happy how that came together. Let me know if there's any more information you'd like to see in the help. I am trying to make Pathos self-explained as much as possible.

6. funambulist

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    #66 funambulist, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    I did! Though I'm a tad more familiar with vanilla NetHack than Slash'em so I don't yet fully appreciate what you have gone and unleashed on your suffering heroes.

But methinks often that God is in the details. Love, for example, the new campfire animation for waiting/resting.

A couple of things I've been wondering about...

(1) Is there be an elegant way for you to implement a quick and directl link between an item or monster and its help entry?

(2) Would you consider adding some more information on what works and what doesn't (in respect to vanilla netback) in identifying items and their BUC stasis?

Thanks again for this great game!

Edit: Just curious, what is the current total of monsters and items in Pathos? Are you keeping a running count?

7. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    I also prefer the vanilla nethack and didn't particular enjoy playing slashem. That said, I have added 200+ monsters and a few dozen items to Pathos. I figure that variety in the game is why we love it, and more variety right? I haven't brought across the silly stuff like lightsabers. There is a lot more ideas in slashem such as new races and classes that I have not looked at (and may not).

On resting, I'm glad you like the new animation. Functionally, the next update will improve recovery rate by 5x when resting. I figure if you have the luxury to rest, there's no point making it boring.

1. Good suggestion to integrate the help into the game a bit better, I'll give it some thought.

2. There are two ways to identify an item - use it or identify it. There is no ambiguity in Pathos when you use an item, it will be identified. In terms of BCU, you need the skill of 'beatitude' as a Priest or you need to divine it's status on an altar. Or identify it of course. Pets are not concerned about cursed items yet and will step all over them.

Pathos now has 598 monsters and 430 items.

8. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I have not been able to install the latest update on either my iPad Air 2 or my iPhone 6, both running latest iOS. I've been trying since the update came out, and no dice. Checking to see if anyone else is having the same problem.

9. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    The listing for Pathos has been broken since the last update a few days. I don't know how this is even possible, but I have asked Apple to investigate. Feel free to email me with your Apple ID email and I'll join you to the beta channel. It is more exciting, and actually works!

10. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Thank you. PM sent.

11. funambulist

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Wow. Lots of cool little features and improvements in today's update in the beta channel. Thanks Callan/dev!

12. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Hey you're welcome! Have you run into a Revenant of your past self yet?

13. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Hello guys. Can someone explain to me what does the top left icon with a man figure does?

14. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Hi! The top left button is the WAIT/STOP button. When you are moving you can press it to immediately stop. When you are not moving it makes your character wait for one turn (useful to let that monster get a little closer).

15. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Oh I have been looking for the wait button! lol

Thank you for the reply. Is the game still being actively developed?

Also, what does the fireplace icon do?

16. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    The fireplace icon is the resting button.

Yes, very much in development (have a look in Help > Updates to see how obsessed I am).

17. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

I'm reading it. There's a lot of potential there.

I wish the menu buttons (not lower gameplay buttons) and text were smaller. They look huge on an iPhone 6 Plus.

18. callanh

callanh Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Do you mean the six tile grid of buttons when you tap on an item? It's been this way for so long that I am used to it and can no longer look at it objectively. Does it cause you any problems or just an aesthetic objection?

19. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

No gameplay issues at all just speaking in terms of UI polish. Their size doesn't match the rest of the interface. For example lower gameplay buttons are small and adequate.

20. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Is this easier to dive into then rogue touch ? I can't seem to get into that one at all,

I do love games like 100 rogues or cavern, what do you guys think