Universal Pathfinder Adventures (by Obsidian Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Since I couldn't get an answer either, I just went ahead and purchased the $25 bundle to see if it is accessible offline. Turns out you can access all the content offline. So go buy it if you want it. I will be enjoying this game for years to come, well worth the money and I can't wait to buy anymore expansions they release.

2. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    The devs actually meant the game should be downloadable on phones too, since they didn't lock phones out in the app. It's just that later they plan to enhance the UI on phones to make it more readable, but as of now, you should be able to play on phones with the same UI for the tablets, only smaller (and probably very difficult to read).
    On android, in fact, you can install the game on phones, not only on tablets.
    On the AppStore something went wrong since we should also be able to play on both iPhones and iPads.

3. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    #83 Tuzzo, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    If you never played the physical game, some rulings may leave you a bit confused.
    Basically, there are 6 ways to play a card from your hand: revealing, displaying, recharging, discarding, burying and banishing.
    These go from the most re-usable to the "use it one time and it's lost forever"; you can't choose which of those ways to use when playing a card. That depends on the "power" of the card; usually the effect is greater on cards that need to be banished and is somewhat lesser on cards that just need to be revealed.
    When a card says you have to reveal it to use its effect, you just show it from your hand and after that particular check is over you get it back. Usually weapons work like this: you show your sword, for example, and you can add a die to your combat check (which die depends on your character and what is written on his strength value).
    Displaying means you take it out from your hand and place in front of you. Usually you get the effect as long as the card stays in play, but usually those cards get discarded when your turn ends.
    Recharging means putting your card at the bottom of your deck. Now, since your deck is your life points and you draw as many card at the end of you turn as needed to reach your character's hand size, every time you discard a card you are actually losing 1 HP. So recharging means you "lose" the card from your hand but since it gets back in the deck, you don't lose HPs when you draw at the end.
    On the other side, discarding means you'll then lose 1 hp for each card discarded, since you then have to replenish your hand. Healing spells let you out back cards from your discard pile to your deck, thus effectively recovering your HPs.
    Burying means take the card out of your hand and put it underneat your character sheet. You'll no longer be able to use it for the rest of the scenario (which is the specific "quest" you are playing) but at the end of the quest you get it back when resetting your deck.
    Banished cars, on the contrary, gets put back in the vault, so you lose them for good and your deck will never again include them, unless you're lucky enough to find them in another scenario. Basically the location decks on each scenario are built using the card you have unlocked in your vault. So if you banish a card, it goes back in the vault and could be used again in building the location decks.
    Or you could end a scenario missing some cards from your deck, in which case you can choose the appropriate cards from the vault in order to get to the minimum required by your character's deck. Let's say your deck need 3 armors but you end your quest with only 2 because you have banished one. In order to make a "legal" deck you need 3 armor cards, so you can choose one from the vault and add it to your deck (only cards with the BASIC trait can be chosen when building your deck and only from the Base card pool, referred to as deck B. This limitation is lifted once your characters start adventure number 3, which unfortunately isn't out yet ;) Starting from adventure 3, you can replenish your missing cards after a scenario from the B deck and any adventure deck 2 levels below the one you are playing )

4. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Perfect. As long I can do everything offline after I purchase, I'm sold. Thanks.

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Thank you for that tidbit.

I can't seem to access the vault to change cards once you exit the end of adventure screen and can only seem to access those cards if I have a deficit of a certain type. Am I missing something or is that just how it works?

6. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I've got the Game Center bug on my iPad so I am unable to log on and get the free gold. Please allow some other way to obtain and keep it.

7. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    #87 Misguided, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    FYI, the daily gold isn't free. You pay 1.99 for the ability to get a gold bonus for logging in for 30 days. You do get some for completing adventures too, though

8. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    You dont get any gold with gc bug iirc

9. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Bought it and the bundle. A bit buggy (can't get quests to work), but am really enjoying it so fa. Though the adventures still don't have the feel of a face-to-face RPG, I can still feel the narrative emerging and look forward to the expansions! Maybe even customizable characters?

10. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    I think the design's elegant as hell, don't get me wrong, the draw pile being hp is brilliant (not a big TCG player lol, so this might be noob swooning) but the whole system seems so unintuitively complex if you compare it to how clean and efficient hearthstone and magic are. But that's apples and oranges, I realize that.

I wonder if that's a back when pathfinder originally came out and its creator and gygax were beefing, so they had to choose weirdly worded terms to differentiate themselves legally from the competition lol.

11. Bethor

Bethor Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2015
    #91 Bethor, Apr 29, 2016
    Does anyone know if I buy the $24.99 package if it will work if I have the game Center bug.

Thank you in advance.

12. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Works, well unlocks all characters at least for sure

13. Bethor

Bethor Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Great, thank you I will go ahead and get it.

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    May be this is a question too early to ask: how long would be the full content? (There are also random missions, i know)

15. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    #95 CalinR, Apr 29, 2016
    I can double confirm that. The scenarios are all locked until you beat them, which is a lot of fun, since it feels like progression.

Offline works just fine with all the content. No gold, except no use for it since the bundle unlocks everything. I suppose if you wanted to save up gold for the next bundle, but I can't for the life of me imagine that'd be worth it. Point being, you buy everything, you get everything, the online thing is just to earn gold if you don't buy the bundle.

16. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Only way I can play this game is on my Nexus 5. I wish I could play this on my iPhone 6S. I find it weird it runs on a lot of Android phones. Did Obsidian ever say why iPhones aren't supported?

I used to own the physical game for this. I ended up giving it away since set up was a chore and the game didn't really feel like a good co-op game. But the digital adaptation is pretty slick and is kinda getting my interest back.

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    The gold can be used to buy treasure chests which contain cards which are not included in the bundle....at least I think. They are a bit like promo cards. Think this needs confirmation still though. That's the only other use of gold if you have bought the bundle

18. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    #98 skoptic, Apr 29, 2016
    With gold you can get extra cards in crates which are not in the bundle... Apparently. They are new cards (digital only) or from later promos, I think. But the bundle does get you everything from the runes hard copy version. More details on BGG forum...

Edit... Here is the copied quote from BGG

"Just talked to the production team to verify this so I don't give out incorrect information.

The $24.99 cost gives you everything from the "Rise of the Runelords" physical game. That includes the adventure modules and character packs.

There are also treasure chest (booster packs) that include some cards from the later class decks and new cards made by Obsidian specially for this game. So you can use in-game gold to buy those and they have rarities (random cards when you open one). You can play the game with or without those treasure chest cards since they weren't ever in the original Runelords series.

So you may still want to collect the gold if you want to grab some of the random new cards. Or completely ignore them if you just want to play with the original content."

Hope that helps!

19. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Can somebody provide a rundown on how quest mode works?

20. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    I think the game lets you change your characters' decks only before starting the story. After that you can't exchange cards between the deck and the vault, like going to a shopkeeper between quests. You can only take cards from the vault if your missing some in your deck, according to your character's deck composition. You can acquire new cards during the scenario. This is the only way to change cards in a character's deck and won't change throughout the whole story (aka adventure path)