Universal Pathfinder Adventures (by Obsidian Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 27, 2016.

1. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You make it sound arbitrary. For people still confused about this (the terminology is indeed confusing I will admit), the mechanics behind it are NOT confusing. You don't have all of these choices for every card. Every card has a very limited set of things you can do. Each thing is plainly stated on the card.

As the "cost" increases for playing a card (obv it's better to keep a card than throw it away), you'll get extra bonuses the more you sacrifice. So for example, a weapon will give you a bonus by simply revealing it (having the card in your hand, "revealing" is the action, you can only do one action per card per turn). However, the card may offer an even greater bonus if you refresh the card (which will remove it from your hand, but not hurt your health). It may even offer a HUGE bonus if you discard it.

2. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You can play it offline and unlock everything with real money. $25 and everything is unlocked. Easy peasy.

3. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes. You can even have different "versions" of the starting characters, with each getting a bonus for complete an adventure.

In the physical game, you keep a character sheet that you "level up" over time. Same goes here, although I am not sure how you manage those character sheets in this digital version.

4. VisibleDucts

VisibleDucts Active Member

Dec 26, 2014
    For me, on my 1st gen mini, the game crashes before the first battle in the tutorial. Not at the same place. Kid sometime before the first battle. The first crash was right when the first battle was loading and I was like "yay this works on my iPad.....aww nvm"

5. RichardC

RichardC Active Member

Mar 12, 2011
    As someone who has played this Adventure Card Game for years - Rise of the Runelords, Skulls and Shackles, Wrath of the Righteous - I can say this version is an excellent adaptation of the board game.

The game sounds more complicated than it is; I have taught many gaming groups how to play. But I do recommend you read the rules to get a basic understanding, and then play through some scenarios.

Here's a link to the website for the print version.
    http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventureCardGame

The $25 for the entire Rise of the Runelords is an outstanding deal. I paid around $150 for the base game and cards, and I've happily bought the electronic version.

I really look forward to playing many characters through each adventure. And if multiplayer comes out this will beat amazing.

6. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Yeah people we get it. You thought this was coming to iPhone too. Now calm down.

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    It took a while to start to click for me. Needed 4 tries to beat Brigandoom (some of that was awful dice rolls but some was my lack of understanding).

The thing about the chests is a great question. I THINK I may be able to provide a partial explanation. Each scenario has a set of cards that are used to comprise the location decks. If I understand correctly, opening a chest could theoretically give you access to cards you wouldn't normally be able to find in a given scenario, because That adds cards to your vault. It's unclear what the pool they are drawn from consists of (could be all scenarios or maybe there are cards in the chests that can't be found in any scenario...though that seems unlikely).

8. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Ok, thanks for the answer. Sorry, but my English is not that good so it is not easy for me to understand everything.
    But as I understand, all the things (special cards, adventures) you can unlock with gold playing online, you can buy with IAP and use them offline once purchased?

Thanks in advance.

9. ninjajucer

ninjajucer Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Played thru the tutorial, still working on first scenario. Game is pretty easy to understand, as long as you read the cards. Got stuck with a healer/priest and a thief, not great for combat, but good for those traps. Haven't touched the store yet, have gold, not sure what to do with it currently. Only issue I found is the dice don't always roll, connects to GC every time. On iPad 3.

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Everybody gets the cleric and the rogue. Try sending the rogue to the bridge and the cleric to the woods.

11. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    #71 CalinR, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Figured I'd throw my hat in for imps, maybehelp someone.

As background, I've been playing MTG for over 5 years (a baby, I know lol) and understand D&D well enough to not piss off who I'm playing with.

That being said, I think it was lord gek that said the nomenclature for the card actions is more ridiculous than magic. Once you get what word does what action, the game's very enjoyable.

2 or 5 gold per monster encounter in the tutorial, 100 for finishing it.

The adventures are around 3000, heroes start or stay at 1500 I believe, over 12 of them roughly.

The art is exemplary, and I think the only online requirement is a counter piracy measure, with which I reluctantly agree, nothing free can be obtained without an online presence, and GC sign in. However, I ASSUME whatever is earned online can then be enjoyed offline (have not tested yet).

Hope this helps people, I dig the game, and having bought every single talisman expansion as it was released (I know, apples and oranges potentially, don't care for this post lol), I can confidently say I probably won't buy the $25 season pass here until i hear all the content is fixed.

Otherwise, I think it's a steal, this is basically D&D solitaire....which is awesome imo.

Also, no judgments, but speaking as an adult with disposable income, the $25 price tag becomes less advantageous the more you decide to grind, so if after the tutorial you think, man, this issue some but I wanna have EVERYTHING NOW WHEN IT COMES OUT (basically me lol), buy it. If you're ok with grinding for the stuff, the game does allow that option (for now, who knows in a month if the pricing model changes, although I doubt it, from a finanal pov it's solid)

12. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    #72 CalinR, Apr 28, 2016
    This is also SUPER important for non-trading card game people: despite the nomenclature being silly, all you need to remember is that if the game ever prompts "recharge" over discard, almost always do that.

It literally, almost verbatim says that in the tutorial. Once I got that, smooth sailing, since the game will only let you do things like recharge when it's possible within the the rules, the option is not present otherwise, so it's sort of like saying I'm gonna go ahead and not take the better option knowing I might lose if I don't.

The other thing, for non D&D people: a check, at the end of any action, is basically your character going "huh, is this sword too heavy for me to swing/am I smart enough to understand the magic in this book". It's a weird step only until you get why that's a game mechanic to simulate you not wanting to haul a 40 lbs greatsword if you're a scrawny mage. Simulates immersion.

(Apologies if this is pedantic for some)

13. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Neithe do I, but it's fun!

14. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    thank you!!!!

15. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    Holy crap call me dumb, this is THE Obsidian Entertainment, not some mobile game company.

For those unfamiliar, knights of the old republic 2, fallout new Vegas, pillars of eternity. They're a serious, old and experienced AAA PC rpg company, I'm gonna go give them my money now, since their online only thing coupled with a fair pricing chime for the free currency means this is a legit anti piracy measure, not F2P shenanigans. I would however temper my excitement about their mobile philosophy by saying I think this is their first game directed at the mobile market, and they've been PC exclusive, so some of the pricing and mechanics make way more sense now.

16. Almyn

Almyn Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Has there been any indication how long the 80% discount lasts on the burnt offerings adventure pack? Tempted to see if I can save the gold for it

17. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    I'm a bit tired, but i didn't understand nothing... not very intuitive, if a game is boring in the tutorial there is something wrong

18. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Go sleep, wake up as fully relaxed and play again. I believe you will like it. You have to read and understand things. If you are tired, you will understand nothing and the game will be boring as hell.

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #79 LordGek, Apr 28, 2016
    No, I get it and find that aspect of the game's design pretty elegant and clever, since your hand and draw pile are your hero's life force. I just meant, looking at it from the outside, it would appear the designers just couldn't leave be at "discard x cards". :)

20. kshriner

kshriner Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 8, 2012
    #80 kshriner, Apr 28, 2016
    For anyone lost or confused, a guide/tutorial..

Agree with Bootsy!! Thank you! I was so disappointed and almost ready to delete the app but this video turned that around 180 and likely earned Paizo the $25.99 for the Full Monty.. I was confused on what was going on but this video cleared up almost everything. Well done and thanks for posting the link! I hope the producer of the video gets a bit as well. Very clean and professional.

If you are confused or lost on starting this game, watch the video!