Universal Pathfinder Adventures (by Obsidian Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ninjajucer

ninjajucer Member

Nov 19, 2013
    The website is equally unhelpful. No real support currently, the mods aren't sure about why phones are locked out. Nothing about GC bug, or actual directions.

2. SephiTrax

SephiTrax Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Pet Store owner.
    San Diego
    May I ask if this will ever come out for the iPhone?

3. NightmareCC

NightmareCC Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    @SephiTrax Did you read the comment above yours?

4. SephiTrax

SephiTrax Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Pet Store owner.
    San Diego
    I did.

How is that helpful?

5. NightmareCC

NightmareCC Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014

It says even the mods of the website aren't sure about the phone release

6. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Tried this for a short time today and I had no idea what I was doing. The terminology used in the tutorial doesn't help either, it's like it was made for the veterans of the board game so they can transition and adapt to the digital version. Newbies will probably need to find and read a thorough tutorial or complete manual before they can enjoy this.

7. vogelmann

vogelmann Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    A statement from the devs right here on TA (in the comments of the Pathfinder-release-news):

"The initial release is Tablets, with phones and PC coming down the lines. That being said we did not lock out phones but the game is not optimized for phones. Things like the UI might be too small on some phones. That is coming later."

8. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    The mystical iap's and the online requirements are deal breakers for me.

9. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    To anyone struggling with the mechanics I suggest watching this YouTube run through. I know it's not the same thing as the app but should help people grasp the game better.

http://youtu.be/zdtw7dfmR7Y

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #50 Talbs, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Ok, so the way it appears to be working is you need to buy gold (or the season pass) to purchase addons such as new characters or adventures. You can keep purchasing piece meal one by one just like that if you wish. Or you can buy the "season pass" which unlock everything (?? Not sure on that) from the get go, at a discounted price.

As mentioned you can buy gold to do this as well, OR during the game, you earn gold as well, just like most games, you can use this gold to buy everything one by one.

You can totally play this offline, however you will not earn gold for adventures, and you will not be able to buy any gold unlocks.

I think this is totally reasonable to protect their assets from would be piraters essentially. If you have the game as completely offline with offline unlocks then it's piratable. The approach here is entirely reasonable and I hope they get their due earnings....cmon this is free and you get a good starting point anyway!
    I've bought already 20k coins to unlock piece meal but that is only because the season pass purchase isn't working for me but I think that's got more to do with me playing on a jailbroked phone and an old IOS. Might buy another 20k or so again, to finish off the unlocks down the track, and as a thankyou to the devs.

Summary:
    There is a one off bundle for purchase at a discounted rate - real money
    Or you can unlock effectively this piece meal through either "gold" bought from real money or earn in game.

Have not yet seen what earning gold is like (painfully slow or decent, I don't know).

But it's fair and good luck to the devs, and well done.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    A question I have for those more savy about what's going on here is; what does buying the chests get us?
    Chests can be bought with in game gold.
    So say you bought the one off bundle purchase (the big one...the season pass)....then what good are chests to you? Don't you have everything already if you bought the bundle?

I really don't find the description of what's in the chest very helpful. What will the chest give me and where is it pulling it from?

12. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I mostly play ipad games in places where I don't have access to the internet. When I am at home, I rarely play games.
    I would unlock everything with real money if I could use this offline.

So I guess this game is not for me.

13. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Thought this was coming to iPhone too?

14. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Amazing game, love everything about it!

Does anyone know if the limitation: "you may claim each adventure reward only once" is PER CHARACTER?

As in, can I run other characters through the same adventure to get feats for them?

15. hbernritter

hbernritter Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Inventory/Marketing Manager
    Toledo, OH
    I was wondering the same thing, but from the one chest I got 2 of the 4 cards were upgraded but I have the physical game and those 2 upgraded cards are in the adventure packs

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #56 Talbs, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Weird...so you're saying basically two of those cards are exact copies of ones in an adventure pack(s). Maybe it's because you don't own the other adventure packs yet? So maybe the logic is thinking it's giving you cards you don't currently have and that's all that matters

EDIT: is that what your saying? Or are you saying they were in fact upgraded, ie different (because that is more inline with what I've read.....that they are indeed different in some way ). END EDIT

It's wierd because that's a little contrary to what I'm just be reading on the obsidian forums I this matter. I found two threads there and it sounds like the cards from chests are kind of like promo cards if you will.
    The discussions there are rather inconclusive about matters of 1) how I'll this effect your play through 2) will these cards just bloat your "vault" of cards for any playthrough if you buy enough of these chests. 3) how to see these cards again in the gallery...where the heck do they display? 4) it currently sounds like keeping these cards in your collection becomes completely managed by the player and only from the card gallery. You cannot start a new game and select if you want to exclude treasure chest cards.

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    This game can still "mostly" be for you. Have a look at my previous comment on monetisation.

You can still play through the game in offline and it would be just like you were playing with those cards that you already own in physical real life.

Think of the "online" part as like physically going to the shop to purchase more expansions. For obsidian to protect their sales, they need you to be online to do the sale. After that you can disappear into middle earth and play the game offline over there for all anyone cares...but you just won't earn tidbits of gold either. Your call but this game is free to begin with and offline ready.

18. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I don't see the so called "season" pass. is that the bundle for $25.99??

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just had a chuckle to myself about the thought of people next complaining that they had to be online to download this game in the first place.

"How dare this game require Internet connection for first download to my device!"

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    One aspect of this game that gives me a chuckle, is that as far as I know, no other game, even Magic, has gone this far with the concept of "discarding". When you discard a card in this game you'll have to decide on the type of discard you mean...

-Discarding (standard tossing into discard pile)
    -Recharging (shuffling into your draw deck)
    -Burying (removing a card for the rest of this mission)
    -Bannishing (removing a card permanently from your deck)