Universal Pascal's Wager (by TipWorks & Giant Network)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 15, 2020.

1. NonSoft

NonSoft Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    There is actually. Oddly, it’s in “gamepad setting”, but it applies to touch controls as well.

adin and macplash like this.
  2. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah. I saw that too. Y-Axis set to Default. But couldn’t change it. Nor do I think it applies to touch controls anyway. I think it’s more for a controller.

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Now that’s an interesting turn of events! So I did hit the buy button based solely on your information. And can confirm the option is indeed there and works like a charm! Even for touch controls.

Also the graphics settings is set to iPad Pro (above the Ultra High) by default and the game runs buttery smooth. I’m impressed! It has that Bloodborne feeling to it right from the beginning which is an enormous plus. @NonSoft I can’t thank you enough!

@Talbs you can go for it as well without hesitation. No need to re-program our brains at all.;)

Attached Files:

4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Rocksaint Actually, it works like a charm. To change it you need to tap on Camera Y-axis text on the left, not default (or reverse) on the right. I’m so glad it works I’m not even angry at you for that misleading information.:p

Rocksaint likes this.
  5. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Well that was one hell of a way for them to hide that setting then. Firstly keeping it under Gamepad and then having to tap on the text instead of the actual setting.

Anyway, glad it worked out for you. Sorry for the wrong information. Should have checked more thoroughly I guess.

6. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    #26 solarnya, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    It's my long awaited game!
    Plays super on 11 pro.
    Game concept is of cource good as well.
    If you had MFi controller, you should try this game.
    Must buy!!

BTW, currently this game only supports English and Chinese.

7. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #27 stubbieoz, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    After an hour I got to say I am not too impressed.
    iPad Pro 12.9” 3rd Gen;
    *There is a bloom effect that you cannot get rid of. Never been a great fan of bloom, just makes the game look blurry to me. Perhaps I have been spoiled by the fantastic graphics of games like the Last Remnant but the graphics in this game are just plain okay to me.
    *Sometimes the turn around touch control (right side of the screen) doesn’t seem to respond or is sluggish. And yes, I do have that setting to max.
    *Voice acting is average, sometimes you are thankful for subtitles because they are hard to understand.
    *There are no difficulty settings.
    *Camera is too close. I know this is 3rd person view rather than isometric, but it is still too close.
    *There is no automap or even a compass. This becomes problematic as there are different levels on the one screen and you can easily find yourself having to backtrack a bit. Also there are some items/things hidden off the beaten track that are easily overlooked of you have no idea where you are, or if you have missed an area.
    *The camera at times will shift focus and you can find yourself looking at the back of your head in the middle of a battle.
    *Combat in general seems to lack a precise and fluid response that action rpg’s need.

Still early times I admit and things may change for the better later on and as I get more used to the controls and the way the game plays.
    I was just expecting a bit more than I have seen so far.

Can any one please enlighten me on how the quick item shortcut icon is supposed to work?
    I have a sanity potion and throwing knives that can be picked. But the only way I have been able to change what one is selected as a quick item is to go into the inventory and actually remove one of them from the shortcut circle. Only then does the remaining item then gets selected to be the one on your screen.

EDIT; Doesn’t matter. Hold tap works wonders....... :D

8. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    I’m curious about one thing. What does the “Egg of the Bearer” do?

9. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    I preorderd in Australia. Cost me AUD$6.99. Very happy.

10. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Played for 2 hours, pretty much agree with @stubbieoz , the game is quite generic. Not that it's not good though, i just expected more. I may consider comeback to this game when PvE and PvP arrive to mix things up, but right now I'll get back to saga scarlet grace

11. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Contacted the devs. It boosts your attack and defense in order to reduce the overall difficulty.

So be careful before you pick it up. I had to go all the way back from the 2nd zone and return it as I wanna play it on normal difficulty.

12. ibis_87

ibis_87 Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    Manager
    Moscow, Russia.
    My good sir, how did you get the said egg? Soulsborne are to difficult for me in general, but I like the setting and want a more laid-back experience, so the egg would come increadibly handy :)

13. ibis_87

ibis_87 Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    Manager
    Moscow, Russia.
    Also, does anyone have problems with cloud saves? Been trying to sync saves between my iPhone 11 (not Pro) and Ipad Pro 11 2018. I believe they should work through Sign with Apple, but as soon as I select the option, get the usual FaceID pop-up and select all the options it offers (which seems to be successful), the game hangs with it's "loading logo" blinking against a black background. Waited for like 15 minutes - no effect at all, on both devices.

14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @stubbieoz @guangvietnguyen I didn't play more than 5 minutes yesterday and I'm currently at work so some serious testing will come later this afternoon, but you already sound too harsh for my taste.

"There are no difficulty settings. There is no automap. There are some items/things hidden off the beaten track that are easily overlooked of you have no idea where you are, or if you have missed an area."

This is all considered as a standard in Souls series or Bloodborne. Those games are riddled with secret paths and shortcuts as well as most helpful items. That's the point of these games. To explore, to uncover. I wouldn't complain about these. As for the rest, I don't know yet. I'll be back with impressions later today for sure, so stay tuned.;)

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I've played a couple of hours and yeah, while I wouldn't mind an old school, more streamlined 3D premium adventure game on iOS, Pascal's Wager is exactly what it should be. It certainly isn't going to be for everyone.

That said, the voice acting...the voice acting. I don't know where to begin. I would've rather some made up language with English subtitles or just no VA at all. I'll leave it at that because I'm genuinely delighted with everything else and don't want to put down everyone's hard work.

16. idislikejordan

idislikejordan Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018

I. absolutely. LOVE. it. The video above takes you through the beginning upto the first boss fight. After that boss fight the world made a lot more sense and got it's grips on me. SO rad.

Have played ~2 hours at this point and tried both gamepad and touch controls and thought both work perfect. Runs phenomenal on my iPad Pro (the newest model) and runs great on "Ultra High" on my iPhone XS Max.

I saw some complaints on the voice over but I love how broody and campy the world can feel. I'm really blown away - this has exceeded my expectations.

Rocksaint, Skall and lezrock like this.
  17. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Battery drain on iphone xR/ xS per half hour? Anyone?
    Love the soulsborne, and while this does look generic, it’s as close as we can get right now.

18. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Here you go. (Spoiler Warning)

After reaching the rooftops area of the houses/huts, you'll see a downslope with an enemy hanging at the top. Kill it, go through there, you'll see the mine entrance. Enter the mine and keep going, then you'll see a giant guy with a huge axe/spear thingy. Fight and kill it. After that, interact with the statue behind it. It'll ask you to eat the Egg of the Bearer. Once you do, it'll tell you that the world is a bit lighter now.

I know it's not very clear as I have already left that area a while ago. So it's all from the top of my head. Hope it helped.

ibis_87 likes this.
  19. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    On iPhone X, it's like 25% after 40 minutes of gameplay. So I am expecting it to be a bit better on those devices.

ramzarules likes this.
  20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Oh come on. It’s not that bad! I expected the worst after reading your post but it’s really not as terrible. It might be caused by the fact the English is like my third language OR that I experienced much more cringy voice acting before, (or the combination of both) but it seriously doesn’t bother me that much. Pretty much anything with japanese culture in it is way worse. To this day I can’t forget the voice over-acting in one of my favorite hack ‘n slash games: Devil May Cry 4. I have to chuckle even thinking about it. And it’s been years since that.

Anyway, putting voice acting aside, the only thing that bothers me is the missing map. I knew what I’m getting into, but still. With my lack of any sense of direction I’m easily lost even on straight-as-an-arrow path. In real life as well as in games. I know it’s all about getting familiar with the environment, and I’ll get more confident eventually, but the beginnings are difficult. I’d like to go back to that talking egg with my tear stone but I can’t find it. Also I already found at least two shortcuts but since they’re opened from the other side, I didn’t unlock them yet. I might as well try my luck with that first boss again as I saved my progress right next to him. I’m considering eating the egg but it sounds like final solution. Can I reverse the process if I’ll decide to do so later?

btw, I was met with the announcement window today after running the game. Did you as well? I don’t recall the game being updated since yesterday. See the attached screenshot below.

Anyway. So far I’m really impressed. The game’s pretty much Souls on mobile, which is absolutely fantastic. I’m so looking forward to some walkthrough on YouTube with every item and lore of the game explained. Something like ENB (epic name bro) did with Souls game and especially Bloodborne. Until then I’m gonna sweat blood trying on my own. A fantastic game! Don’t hesitate and grab it right away. It’s easily worth it. Highly recommended!

Attached Files: