iPad ParkingLot or Grid Lock??

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mr. Charley, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Ok, so I'm thinking of this style of game obviously.
    Which one would you recommend and why?

2. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    I don't have gridlock, but parking lot is great; great graphics, smooth play, and very challenging.

3. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Go for Parking lot...better graphics

4. SwingOnThis

SwingOnThis Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    I have both and really don't have a preference. I guess i would go with whatever one has the most puzzles. And that's something i don't know off the top of my head.

5. ParkingLot (350 levels) is the Japanese game Rush Hour. Has best graphics amongst the three. Get yellow car to exit.

Blocked (100 levels) Remembers completed levels. Must complete easy level to move on to next difficulty level and so on.

Gridlock (160 levels) and has car graphics.

6. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    You mention that Blocked remembers completed levels. Does this mean that ParkingLot does not? As in, every time I exit the app, I'll have to start again from scratch?

7. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    A summary of them all...

Game: Parking Lot
    Price: £1.19 (UK)
    No. of puzzles: 350
    Looks: OK, but very cluttered and busy.
    Features: Minimum moves shown. Number of moves recorded.

Game: Gridlock
    Price: £1.19 (UK)
    No. of puzzles: 160
    Looks: Bloody ugly! Just awful!
    Features: Minimum moves shown. "100's more puzzles" promised in V2.

Game: Blocked
    Price: £0.59 (UK)
    No. of puzzles: 100
    Looks: Best interface of the lot, visually and aesthetically. Gorgeous!
    Features: Cheapest.

My opinion? Well, even though Blocked has the fewest levels, and the fewest features, I'd still recommend this one over the other two, because it is SO much more attractive. And it's the cheapest.
    Why not email the developer and ask him if he has any plans to add any more levels or move-counters, etc.

8. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Thanks for pointing these out, I hadn't heard of any of these. Think I'll pick up Parking Lot.

The only similar game I have is AneRouge ("Red Donkey"), that only has one level, but it's a doozy. Or else I'm stupid.

9. SwingOnThis

Oct 3, 2008
    :confused:

10. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    It's a simple game (in terms of the premise of the game, not necessarily in terms of completing the levels), so the simple graphics complement it beautifully.
    The hand-drawn sketch on notepaper feel adds a certain touch, which prevents it from looking TOO simple.

It's just a puzzle game, and all you want to do is slide a few blocks around. The other two games are just WAY too cluttered to be attractive, and after awhile all that extra glitz and glam just gets in the way of the gameplay. You don't need to see the seats in the cars or the handicapped signs in the parking spaces, the speedometer-themed difficulty gauge, etc.
    Nice maybe, but just too much stuff crammed into such a small screen.

Sometimes less is more.

This is all just my own personal opinions, however. To each his own. :)

11. SwingOnThis

Oct 3, 2008
    I hear what you're saying, and when it comes to Jelly Car i'm totally on board w/ this way of thinking. Although i think that saying Blocked is 'gorgeous' may be ovetstating things a tad. ;)

12. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Hmmm, I dunno... I think it's perhaps one of those things that the static screenshots can't convey properly. Using it in your hands and sliding things around... It's just feels so smooth and natural...
    Taking your Jelly Car example, I do agree with you on that - but most would say that the static screenshots for that do look quite awful, but when it comes to actually playing the game, the fluidity of it just brings it to life.

13. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
  14. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Interesting. I never mentioned Blocked specifically because of it's graphics. My assumption was that ParkingLot or GridLock offered more (in terms of graphics)
    If we're going with the "less is more" mentality, than I'd think Square Masters was the best.
    I think for me the car graphics would add a nice touch. Of course, I could be wrong. We'll see shortly

15. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'd go for Square Master and or Blocked

Square Master has the same idea but a slightly different layout than Blocked. The blocks are slightly differently shaped and so is the layout of the gameboard that you play on. I would recommend both of these games. They both offer slightly different game play for this genre (although not unique gameplay). Square Master has more levels than Blocked, but Blocked still has plenty to keep you occupied. Square Master also has a lite version (don't think Blocked does but I could be wrong). Both are excellent value for money.