iPad ParkingLot... how'd it get to be#2 in the Appstore?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by arta, Apr 7, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    It's just Blocked with cars instead of blocks, and it's been out since November. What happened?

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Going to look into this..

3. rik555

rik555 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    and what caused blocked to go to #1 while parking lot wasn't moving anywhere for months? (no pun intended lol)
    ps I wish one of them at least would have sound when u move the pieces...not horrible music like in parking lot.

4. Scott30

Scott30 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2009
    lol good question I guess ppl finished blocked and wanted more, also its been featured on front page of app store that certainly doesnt hurt but its weird ya cause its been out forever and also there is about 4 apps exactly like Parkinglot let alone blocked that use the same thing as cars and the yellow bug.

5. Scott30

Mar 19, 2009
    My theory is that Blocked just had a more simple design and ppl knew it was a interesting puzzle game they would enjoy. Where as Parkinglot is a lil more confusing at first glance or by name alone.

Its just one of those things Blocked also prob got featuered which skyrocketed its sales while they prob never featured Parkinglot before, now that Blocked is so popular ppl know what Parkinglot is and want more it seems.

6. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I have one of those games, trafficjam, I got it for free.. I don't think I could ever need more than that.

7. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    You're probably right, it's at the right price for an impulse buy too.

There have been no big news stories about quetouch or blocked recently, only found a few blogs posting about it being at the top and one site listing it on their top 3 (flight control, pocket god, parkinglot).

8. hello123

hello123 Active Member

Feb 22, 2009
    one of the editor of apple is out of mind that pick it as what's new then this app is like riding on a rocket to be #2:)

9. nopnop

nopnop New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I guess Apple needs to be more transparent in a way it picks New apps / Hot apps etc. I've got ParkingLot the first time it's available and was wondering why it's just now that ParkingLot got into the spotlight. It should've been there long ago. It's the first app of this kind on iPhone (I had ParkingLot for free on my iPhone FW 1.0.2). Guess members here can confirm the existence of ParkingLot before Blocked. Anyone knows how Apple determine who gets the spotlight and when? Looks like all the New&Noteworthy are submitted a month ago or longer.

Blocked is very nice interpretation of the same game. Clean graphics, execution and very very difficult puzzles. I bought it too. The two seems to entertain me on different occasions.

10. rik555

rik555 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I just tried trafficjam lite and WHY CAN'T ONE OF THESE PARKING LOT GAMES INCLUDE SOUND!!! is it too much to ask for a sliding of pieces movement???

11. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Probably because it would VERY quickly become VERY annoying... When you think of all the hundreds and hundreds of swiping movements you have to make playing all the levels, it would just be the same one single sound over and over and over and over again...

12. Chillingo

Chillingo Well-Known Member

Traffic Jam 2

Traffic Jam 2 is another great alternative with better graphics

13. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    Actually, imo the reason for the game skyrocketing in the appstore has to do with commercials of parking games. Look at the one with Lisa Kudrow playing prof. layton on the ds. I bet people after seeing that game and the car parking puzzle started looking on the appstore for something similar and found Parking Lot. There are a lot of factors that can contribute to a game moving up on the charts. Look at Pocket God it moved up because one person downloaded it and showed it to another person who downloaded it and so on. It would be nice if we could get a prof. layton type game on the iphone.

14. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Could just be word of mouth on forums and sites making it finally catch on.

15. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    They were featured in the top spot by Apple all last week. They won the App Store lottery, simple as that.

16. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It wouldn't be annoying. Cubicman has sounds and I played through all 100 levels without getting annoyed.

17. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    It doesn't bother me at all that it's being featured. And obviously, its rush to the top is related to that.

But I do wish they'd reserve the "new" list for actual NEW apps. As it is now, they might as well just have one "What's Hot" list. There are apps on What's Hot and Top 25 that are literally newer than apps on the New list. Just one more thing that doesn't make any sense in the App Store...

18. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    That's why they changed the name to New and Noteworthy. It was confusing people as to its real purpose. Not that it's any less confusing now...

19. Scott30

Mar 19, 2009
    Ya I guess New or Noteworthy would be better, and I mean we already know if its new it has to be noteworthy enough for apple to feature anyway.

20. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Why is ParkingLot number 2? I don't think it belongs there plus the fact that it looks horrible compared to Blocked. Maybe because it has more levels than Blocked?